Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

DCTriClub Aid Station @ 2011 Nation's Triathlon
CREATED: 08/29/11 by bcfrank REPLIES: 19
bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 966
POSTED: 8/29/11 2:21 PM

The 2011 Nation's Triathlon is just around the corner (less than 2 weeks away): Sunday, September 11th. This is the larger of the two local DC triathlons bringing out nearly 5000 racers including a lot of the premiere professional triathletes as well as a large number of your fellow club members.

The DCTriClub is one of the key groups responsible for recruiting volunteers for the race. If you are not racing at Nation's Triathlon, we could really use your help. There will be an announcement in the club newsletter about general recruiting for pre-race events, but this thread is about the club aid station during the race itself.

We would like to get 15-20 people together to help out on the run course during the race. The aid station will be responsible for handing out water and PowerAde in addition to cold sponges/cloths and nutrition packs. It is a great way to see the racers, to give back to the sport which you know and love, and to hang out with some really cool fellow club members (like me, of course! :::^):: ). In addition, you will get a really cool volunteer shirt as well as all the free water and PowerAde that you could possibly want.

If you would like to help us out at the aid station, please fill out this volunteer form. Under the Additional Question section where it asks if you are volunteering as part of a group, please put "DC Triathlon Club." This link is specifically for the aid stations and is not available directly on the website. Also, if you could post here or send me an email, then I can keep track of how many volunteers we have, I would appreciate it. I will send out a direct email with more specific instructions.

Thank you in advance!

Bryan

And if you have spare time on Friday or Saturday, the race organizers could really use your help at packet pickup.

... and we thank you for your support.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1059
RE: DCTriClub Aid Station @ 2011 Nation's Triathlon
POSTED: 8/29/11 9:06 PM

Bryan - thanks for the update! I just signed up as DC Tri to help out. Looking forward to it. You always know how to man the water stops! Always a pleasure to help you out!

Particleman    JOINED: 8/18/11    POSTS: 2
RE: DCTriClub Aid Station
POSTED: 8/30/11 9:31 AM

Bryan -

Following up on an e-mail sent to you. Signed up for the aid station. As a new person, I'm looking forward to meeting more people from the club. Cheers!

Jon

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 495
POSTED: 8/30/11 1:20 PM

Will there be free hugs this year from the water stop coordinator?

POSTED: 8/30/11 3:22 PM

But of course. :::^)::

jbrez's ravatar jbrez    JOINED: 1/30/11    POSTS: 268
POSTED: 8/30/11 5:18 PM

I'm volunteering at the swim start. I wanted to get that race day feel and excitement without having to actually do anything remotely difficult.

Plan to head over to the finish as soon as everyone gets going. I'm assuming we'll have a tent set up at the finish area right?

Good luck to everyone competing!

-jason

JHJ20012's ravatar JHJ20012    JOINED: 2/1/10    POSTS: 175
POSTED: 8/30/11 10:07 PM

Bryan,

What's the timing for volunteering at the water stop? My kids just did their first tris this summer so they'd probably love it, but I don't think they'll be up for standing around at 5 am.

Joyce

kmwpro's ravatar kmwpro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 270
POSTED: 8/31/11 8:32 AM

Free hugs? That sounds terrible. Thank goodness I'm not racing, just tossing people into the Potomac all morning.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1313
POSTED: 8/31/11 9:28 AM

Oh great ... a guy to pees on this bike is encouraging another guy who pees on this bike to give out free hugs at a triathlon. That's what this club really needs. Why don't we just make it even more obvious by allowing only people who have completed an Ironman to man the water station?

... ok off my soap box :)

Tuan

POSTED: 8/31/11 9:33 AM

For the record, I have never peed on my bike.

And how about volunteering instead of hijacking the thread? :::^)::

And Joyce, the typical time is from about 630AM until the end of the race. But we'll take anyone for as along as they can help out.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1313
POSTED: 8/31/11 9:37 AM

I'm already volunteering. I'm hanging out at with Karen Willard ... a chick who knows how to really pee on the bike ... at the swim entrance/exit. I have so much to give to all of the swimmers out there.

POSTED: 9/01/11 8:02 AM

Bump.

We still need more volunteers, so please help out if you can!

pmart15's ravatar pmart15    JOINED: 12/14/09    POSTS: 129
POSTED: 9/01/11 10:24 AM

I'm going to sign-up for an expo slot. I didn't see anything about age on the Nations site but do you have to be 18 to volunteer? While I am, my running partner/family friend is only 16.

allisonh's ravatar allisonh    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 13
POSTED: 9/01/11 1:55 PM

Hi Bryan,
Count me in for helping at the aid station.
See you there,
Allison

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1064
POSTED: 9/01/11 6:06 PM

pmart15 - You don't have to be 18 to volunteer as long as minors are accompanied by an adult. We appreciate the help!

And if you are signing up for the aid station, don't forget to sign up here (this is the aid station only link): http://nationstri.com/volunteer-signup-aid-station

Thanks everyone!

rcmagnus's ravatar rcmagnus    JOINED: 1/23/10    POSTS: 43
POSTED: 9/02/11 8:54 AM

I can def help out!

Rachel

POSTED: 9/02/11 9:09 AM

Thank you to all who have signed up so far. If you've signed up via the website and have not posted here or sent me an email directly about it, please do.

We still need more help. If you're not racing at Nation's (or IM Wisconsin) or volunteering somewhere else, then please come help out and give back to the sport that you love so much. :::^):: I mean, you get to hang out with a bunch of the really cool club members! What's not to like about that?!

Bryan

JHJ20012's ravatar JHJ20012    JOINED: 2/1/10    POSTS: 175
POSTED: 9/02/11 9:54 AM

My daughter Ella and I will be there!

pmart15's ravatar pmart15    JOINED: 12/14/09    POSTS: 129
POSTED: 9/02/11 11:47 PM

Add two more to the list because I signed up with a friend under the DC Tri banner. I'm only able to help out on Saturday since I have a painful 20-mile run on Sunday.

Paul

POSTED: 9/04/11 5:37 PM

Things that go bump in the night.

We still need some help, so please sign up if you can and help us out! Sign-up details are above.

Bryan

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria