DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Conte's Bethesda Sunday group ride
CREATED: 04/02/11 by ferguson REPLIES: 24
ferguson's ravatar ferguson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 199
Conte's Bethesda 'Lazy Sunday' group ride
POSTED: 4/02/11 2:41 PM

Conte's Bethesda 'Lazy Sunday' Group Ride

If you anticipate a hangover, if you're just not a 'morning person', or maybe you'd just rather wait for temps to warm up a bit... our triathlete-friendly 'Lazy Sunday' endurance training ride is a mixed bag which will have a little something for everyone.

This scenic 40-mile route has some hills and will generally take 2-3 hours to complete. We will start as one big group but, as the ride progresses, smaller groups of riders will form. The "A" riders will go off the front shortly after the ride begins and they are free to attack and chase as they like. Smaller groups will also form up behind the A group based on pace and ability. We will also encourage novice riders to stay together so that we can teach drafting, pace lining, and basic bike handling skills.

Meet at the shop at 9:45am to gear up & grab a cue sheet. We'll run through some talking points with the group and then we're wheels rolling 10am.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/29323876/

Conte's Bike Shop- Bethesda
7626 Old Georgetown Rd
Bethesda, Md 20814

chad0022's ravatar chad0022    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 326
RE: Conte's Bethesda Sunday group ride
POSTED: 4/04/11 4:37 PM

Matt, this is awesome!

Will this be every Sunday?

POSTED: 4/05/11 8:52 AM

yup- every Sunday!

The ride hasn't quite gotten a sense of itself yet- been more of a solid B ride the past two weeks with some smaller groups rolling along at a slower pace.

There are definitely hills along the way (good route for folks training for Kinetic or Columbia) so don't let the name fool you... 'Lazy Sunday' just refers to the later start time!!

I'll post a reminder later this week with some additional information. We had some DC Tri folks out last Sunday but we hope to have even more out there this Sunday coming up as the weather forecast looks amazing! Low 70's!! I think spring has finally sprung!!!

POSTED: 4/09/11 7:48 PM

Weather tomorrow looks perfect... mid 60's for our late morning start!!! Be at the shop by 945A to gear up & grab a cue sheet. We'll be wheels rolling at 10A!!!

jmac1182    JOINED: 1/22/11    POSTS: 2
POSTED: 4/10/11 9:20 PM

Anyone up for a evening ride from Bethesda tomorrow (Monday 4/11)?

MaggieR    JOINED: 6/10/10    POSTS: 9
POSTED: 4/12/11 4:14 PM

I highly recommend this ride! It's a gorgeous route and a great group (although very speedy!). The guys from Conte's were great - and were fantastic with motivation/coaching... something you don't always expect in a group ride!

I will note this: be familiar with the cue sheet! I got dropped between groups and ended up taking a wrong turn somewhere. After spotting Tuan's group, I managed to find my way back to McArthur but got stuck making the climb back up to Bethesda.

POSTED: 4/12/11 5:07 PM

hey Maggie... so glad you posted as nobody knew how to contact you. Shawn was worried about you when he got back to the shop... said you dropped him in the hills and he couldn't keep up : ) so he was worried that you got lost (which it sounds like you did). Great job out there!

Thanks for the compliment on the ride. It's really starting to form up nicely and, as always, it's great to have some DC Tri folks along for the ride! A few more DCT members have dropped by and asked about this ride so it should be even better turnout this week!

I'll post a reminder this Friday. Weather forecast for this Sunday looks great... partly cloudy, temps mid-60's!!!

mags36's ravatar mags36    JOINED: 9/21/10    POSTS: 4
POSTED: 4/13/11 12:17 PM

Is there a newbie group that rides sundays? I'm not a strong rider and need to work up to the 40mi rides. Is there a group that does 25mi rides at slower paces?

POSTED: 4/13/11 4:30 PM

I'm not aware of a shorter weekend newbie ride. Most of the organized weekend rides are longer distances.

We have a well-established Thursday evening ride that is a 20-mile loop out to Great Falls & back. That one is definitely a slower pace / shorter distance so you may want to check that one out.

chad0022's ravatar chad0022    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 326
POSTED: 4/13/11 4:42 PM

Thanks Matt! I was going to ask if the Thur rides were still going.

And when you say "slower pace", what does that mean?

THANKS!!

POSTED: 4/13/11 8:09 PM

yup... the Thursday night rides are back! We always seem to get a good number of DC Tri folks out for this one so don't be afraid to show those aerobars!!

Thursdays are different in that it is a more controlled ride than the Sunday endurance ride. We have 2-3 employees out on the ride... leading, bouncing between groups, and acting as sweep for the riders who drop off the back. Paces vary as we'll have fairly large groups along for the ride... anywhere from 16-20mph.

Weather looks awesome for tomorrow evening- sunny & temps around 70 degrees!!!

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 4/15/11 8:46 AM

Added to the calendar!

markhakd's ravatar markhakd    JOINED: 10/8/09    POSTS: 220
POSTED: 4/23/11 11:04 AM

Adding myself to the thread, and maybe coming out this Sunday!

Kevin

POSTED: 4/23/11 12:25 PM

Awesome Kev! The shop is closed for business tomorrow but we'll open up before / after the ride so everyone can gear up and grab cue sheets. As always, try to get here @ 945A... wheels rolling 10A.

Despite the rain we've got right now, tomorrow morning looks perfect for a group ride!!! Temps around 70 degrees, partly cloudy, low winds.

We had an awesome MoCo presence on the Thursday night ride... lots of aerobars out there which was great to see!!! Hoping for the same tomorrow- I know at least one person plans to do the ride and then brick it up with a 30 minute post-ride run (likely just down the Cap Crescent and back). I'll probably join... all are welcome.

szunino's ravatar szunino    JOINED: 6/14/10    POSTS: 4
POSTED: 4/23/11 6:46 PM

Count me in! We'll see how my legs are after the run. Can't promise to join the run but will bring my shoes just in case.

Steven

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 4/24/11 1:24 PM

'Lazy Sunday' my ass. I'm beat. That's a good ride.

-Brian

POSTED: 4/24/11 9:03 PM

haha- 'Lazy' only refers to the late start time (which was a good thing as I was out drinking waaayy too late last night).

Man, that ride today was awesome! I think we had 25-30 people out there (including a good number from DCT) and the weather was amazing (even got a bit sunburned). One guy did the whole thing on a hybrid with flat pedals and held his own with the C group- no idea how he did that on such a long & hilly course!!!

The A group really pushed a fast pace... it was fun to be up there with you guys!

szunino's ravatar szunino    JOINED: 6/14/10    POSTS: 4
POSTED: 4/25/11 12:32 PM

Did anyone go out for a run after the ride?

POSTED: 4/25/11 1:08 PM

One or two went for a long run before the ride and cut some distance off the route. Don't think anyone managed to do a run after the full 40-mile loop.

cmoritz's ravatar cmoritz    JOINED: 3/18/11    POSTS: 4
POSTED: 5/28/11 3:41 PM

I plan to do this ride 5/29/11. Meet everybody at Contes.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria