Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

IM Chattanooga - September 28, 2014
CREATED: 08/15/13 by merlinkim REPLIES: 74
MikeyPMA's ravatar MikeyPMA    JOINED: 2/16/13    POSTS: 20
RE: IM Chattanooga - September 28, 2014
POSTED: 9/04/13 8:39 PM

I must be crazy... After a long talk with my sister who works for a national non-profit, she convinced me that the fund raising goal was not unobtainable. I just couldn't let it go by... the date and event have too much significance. So, I'm in! (and also in debt!)
No one ever said I wasn't crazy...

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 459
POSTED: 9/05/13 6:11 AM

Posted on Slowtwitch:

CEOIronman wrote:

We preregistered about 1,000 athletes through the Tri-club early entry program for IMCH. We offered it to clubs that are part of our program in 7 southern states and clubs that are ranked highly nationally. It wasn't a secret -- but we did ask that the clubs not broadcast it to the world. Tri-clubs are important. They are important at developing triathlon at a grassroots level and are an important part of the collaborative and supportive culture of triathlon. We want to help them succeed.

This was the first time we have done a program like this (although as someone on this chain pointed out, we do have an early entry program with TA for our Australian races). It will not be the last time that we innovate or try new things. Some will work, some will not. We will keep the good ideas and discard those that are not helpful.

There were plenty of slots for general entry and we were surprised at how quickly they sold. We did not expect a 3 minutes sell out.

Now, the issues with registration going down Is another story. We are sorry and unhappy that the system went down and apologize to all of those whose got monkey wrenched. We are working with active to understand the root cause of the issue.

Lastly, there were a number of people who got logged into the system to register before the race closed but were then kicked out when the system went down. We expect that we will be able to identify all of those people and hope to be able to get the entered into the race, hopefully as early as tomorrow.

misha's ravatar misha    JOINED: 6/13/13    POSTS: 6
POSTED: 9/05/13 9:30 AM

I also somehow got in after multiple rejections of my credit card (make sure you check your accounts people) and my screen turning to French (for a moment I thought I was signing up for Mont Tremblant). Super pumped!

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1319
POSTED: 9/05/13 9:50 AM

I second what Misha said about the credit card thing. For folks signing up for future WTC IM races that sell out quickly, either call your credit card ahead of time of have a backup one ready to go.

My credit card was also rejected (3x). It was due to the fact that my credit card company saw a $700 fee and flagged it as a possible fraud transaction. I didn't find out about this until after I had completed my registration with a back up credit card.

--Tuan

melinda    JOINED: 3/3/13    POSTS: 11
POSTED: 9/05/13 10:02 AM

I noticed the site said open at 11:53 am, and although it wouldn't let me register until 12:00 (the next page said it wasn't open yet)- I kep refreshing it periodically and must have been close to the front of the queue - as I didn't have any of the issues so many are reporting.
I think Abby might have been onto something with her suggestion to start checking a few minutes early.

Congrats, and good luck to all that got in! Since I am moving to Houston, I won't see you all until next September; but I can't wait to race and celebrate with everyone! :o)

Cheers,
Melinda

POSTED: 9/05/13 10:07 PM

Looks like they sold out in less than a minute and are offering some compromises to those who missed out.

"As I am sure you are fully aware, there was an issue with our registration system that resulted in a number of athletes like yourself being unaware that the race was sold out and unable to complete your registration. We are aware of the frustration and disappointment that this has caused and are sorry.

The inaugural IRONMAN Chattanooga sold out in record time yesterday. We initially believed that the race sold out in three minutes. In reality, the race sold out in less than a minute.

Due to the registration system issues, we are opening additional slots to the 2014 IRONMAN Chattanooga. These slots will be offered to athletes in the order that they logged in to Active.com yesterday. Unfortunately, there is not enough capacity this year at IRONMAN Chattanooga so if we cannot place you into IRONMAN Chattanooga, you will have the option to reserve a slot at one of the following 2014 events based on log-in time and availability: IRONMAN Florida, IRONMAN Arizona or IRONMAN Lake Tahoe.

We will communicate the details of this program to you no later than Wednesday, September 11 2013.

Again, please accept our apologies for this situation"

bronxking's ravatar bronxking    JOINED: 1/13/13    POSTS: 147
POSTED: 9/05/13 10:16 PM

Read the premise and then the email I just received from IM Chattanooga, which Tuan apparently posted several minutes before I got to finish typing my posting:

***Premise: So I had no intention of registering for IM Chattanooga or any IM for 2014, but I was obviously working hard at work and decided I should see what was the likelihood of the Chattanooga race selling out. So I went online and clicked on the register button multiple times over many windows in my browser beginning at 11:59AM. I managed to get into the Active registration form page by 12:01 using my alternate email since I didn't remember my Active.com account password. But the registration page also had a red headline at the top saying that all general entries were sold out, and at that moment, I cursed Tuan, because I read his post a few months back saying that once you get to the registration page, you're practically home free and you just need to fill out the registration form within 15-20 minutes so I don't lose the slot. Plus this was only 1 minute after the registration went live. WTF? After cursing royalty, I thought I'd give Tuan a benefit of the doubt as he has not failed me before, so I ignored the red headline and considered it a hoax or error. I then proceeded to complete the registration form in like 2 mins, and clicked "Next" so I can go to the "Checkout" page to enter my credit card info. But nada, I was directed to an error page. So long story short, I lost all faith in Tuan and I thought that fate had intervened and that IM Chattanooga was not meant for me, or I was not meant for IM Chattanooga. I'm not the type of guy who quarrels with fate. I'm happy to go with the flow of things. You see, I'm a Zen-practitioner when I'm not tri-training...total serenity is my motto. But then I got this email below and maybe I got this fate thing all wrong.

*****Email from IM Chattanooga:

"As I am sure you are fully aware, there was an issue with our registration system that resulted in a number of athletes like yourself being unaware that the race was sold out and unable to complete your registration. We are aware of the frustration and disappointment that this has caused and are sorry.

The inaugural IRONMAN Chattanooga sold out in record time yesterday. We initially believed that the race sold out in three minutes. In reality, the race sold out in less than a minute.

"Due to the registration system issues, we are opening additional slots to the 2014 IRONMAN Chattanooga. These slots will be offered to athletes in the order that they logged in to Active.com yesterday. Unfortunately, there is not enough capacity this year at IRONMAN Chattanooga so if we cannot place you into IRONMAN Chattanooga, you will have the option to reserve a slot at one of the following 2014 events based on log-in time and availability: IRONMAN Florida, IRONMAN Arizona or IRONMAN Lake Tahoe.

We will communicate the details of this program to you no later than Wednesday, September 11 2013.

Again, please accept our apologies for this situation"

****Conclusion: So since I logged-in at 12:01pm, I'm feeling good about getting a spot. Is it my fate to do IM Chattanooga next year, or for that matter, any of the IM races that they are offering as an alternative?

POSTED: 9/05/13 10:22 PM

I accept your apology ;)

--Tuan

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 295
POSTED: 9/05/13 11:38 PM

I also received the email - there is still hope! What I want to know is who takes the Tahoe slots if they're offered to them? (Unless they know nothing about that course vs Chattanooga's).

RJohnson1979's ravatar RJohnson1979    JOINED: 9/13/09    POSTS: 82
POSTED: 9/06/13 9:32 AM

Good news here. Fingers crossed you all get a spot!

Ryan

Ultra_E    JOINED: 1/4/13    POSTS: 2
POSTED: 9/06/13 8:37 PM

I so wanted to be in, but didn't try to register until I got home from work that evening. Was super-surprised to see all regular entries and all Foundation entries sold out. Didn't learn until later that it sold out in 3 minutes!

Any thoughts on whether they'll open up additional slots for general registration?

POSTED: 9/06/13 9:47 PM

The possibility of them opening up additional slots for general entry is zero.

They've already sent out an email telling people that got inadvertently kicked out of registration that they don't have enough slots to make things right for these people. That's why they are offering guaranteed slots to some of the other faster sell out races, like IMFL and IMAZ, to those who were affected during those 3 minutes. ... Or 1 minute as they've revised the 3 min estimate to be.

HappyRunner's ravatar HappyRunner    JOINED: 1/15/11    POSTS: 202
POSTED: 9/07/13 10:23 AM

JayC101 wrote: So I read on slowtwicth that the race had 2500 slots and that something like 2000k of them had been handed out before registration even opened to places like Tri Clubs. Just curious why DC Tri didn't get any of these slots? Aren't we one of the biggest Tri Clubs in the US and wasn't this going to be the Club Ironman race for 2014?
Bryan responded: We had been in contact with WTC and I believe that we had broached the subject of getting some slots for the club, but I don't know the outcome of that conversation.

WTC posted on slowtwitch that the only clubs that received the slots are members of the "tri-club program," whatever that is. Is DCTri a member?

Aside: before the lottery process, I was a veteran of many Cherry Blossom online registration Internet overloads/crashes, often on the last step of registration, I always assumed that you are not "in" until registration is actually completed. That WTC is stepping up for people who began the application but weren't able to finish it is actually pretty awesome.

riggodrill's ravatar riggodrill    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 104
POSTED: 9/07/13 6:22 PM

In.

Tuan, get used to looking at my butt.

Love, TJ

MikeyPMA's ravatar MikeyPMA    JOINED: 2/16/13    POSTS: 20
POSTED: 9/08/13 7:42 PM

Does anyone know if this would still be the focus race for the IM program?

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria