Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Ironman Blues
CREATED: 10/18/11 by PamS REPLIES: 13
PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 365
Ironman Blues
POSTED: 10/18/11 12:58 PM

Just curious what people have done to avoid/deal with/get over post IM blues. I just started my taper so I'm not there yet but any tips are welcome...other than signing up for another IM in the next 3 weeks :)

Thanks!

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1331
RE: Ironman Blues
POSTED: 10/18/11 2:09 PM

After my 1st and 2nd IM, I went overseas for a little vacation. When I got back the IM blues were no longer there, but the vacation blues were :)

I think that doing a late IM race is a lot better than doing an early IM race as far as post race blues are concerned. When you do an earlier one, you have to listen to all of the other people talk about their up coming IMs. Doing a late one mean that you will talk about not exercising with the rest of your tri friends. I don't think that it will be as bad as you may think. All of your tri friends are already hibernating.

I think that the best way to get rid of IM blues or any blues is just to go out and be as social as possible. Go to all of the events that you are invited to and create some of your own.

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 10/18/11 2:24 PM

I'm not post-IM, but just normal post-season blues. I ignore the schedule and just do whatever I feel like for fun. Feels odd for the first few weeks, then it feels good, then it finally gets to where you feel bad being so lazy. That's when you know it's time to pick it up and get back and hit the real off-season training.

Also, eat some extra cookies.

Good luck with the race!

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 708
POSTED: 10/18/11 2:33 PM

Yes, Well- have never done an Ironman, but I used to get post-marathon blues - all the build up to the race - then it's over. I just joined a gym for the winter because they offer some classes that I found out I actually liked. Tamabata - what the heck - grueling way to laugh at yourself doing ab work for an hour. I would never do this on my own. Then again - I agree with the eat more cookies too!

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1064
POSTED: 10/18/11 2:44 PM

Tips for the off-season (or post-IM blues)? For the first month afterwards, my exercise volumn was very low. Mainly, if I did any workout it was unstructured. Oh, and I agree with Tuan and be very social. And believe me, I did take advantage of that. Fortunately your IM is just right before the holiday season. I don't necessarily agree with Tuan in that early season IMs are not as good as late season ones. My off-season basically started at the end of June and I could cheer others on in their races. But, now that I've retired from that distance, I won't have to worry about it.

Good luck in Florida!
Hugh

RJohnson1979's ravatar RJohnson1979    JOINED: 9/13/09    POSTS: 82
POSTED: 10/18/11 3:01 PM

Pam - You need to preempt those post Florida blues by signing up for St George immediately!

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 983
POSTED: 10/18/11 3:34 PM

My advice to you: start drinking heavily.

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 496
POSTED: 10/18/11 5:19 PM

Pam, I am combining the last two responses into my advice.
Drink heavily one night and while at it sign up for St George.

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 365
POSTED: 10/18/11 6:14 PM

Ok, I get it. Booze, cookies, classes, couch, and social time. I think I can do that :)

Thanks guys!

...except those of you who mentioned IMSG ;) lol

Particleman    JOINED: 8/18/11    POSTS: 2
POSTED: 10/18/11 10:09 PM

Better listen to bcfrank...he's in pre-med :)

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1786
POSTED: 10/19/11 10:20 AM

Start an exciting and contentious web thread on the attitude of park service employees at Hains Pt., Wilson pool, PeasantMan, or Sandy Pt.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 616
POSTED: 10/20/11 12:45 PM

Put first thing first, don't get too far ahead in your thinking, and see if you actually get post-IM blues - you may not. Avoid it - 1) remember how you feel when you cross the finish line or the highest point - keeping that memory will allow you to access it and have the feeling without having to do it all over again, 2) remember the worst pains / sacrifices of the experience and really understand if you want to go through it again.
First thing is to Enjoy Your Taper. You earned it :)

denaindc's ravatar denaindc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 152
POSTED: 10/21/11 12:16 PM

I was also worried about post IM blues, so I signed up to do some volunteer work that was relate to my career (which was neglected a little during training). Then I signed up for tennis lessons, yoga and swim maters. I quickly realized that this was too much for the off-season. So just be careful signing up for too much afterwards and leave time to drink and eat cookies.
Good luck in FL.

Dammiles    JOINED: 4/16/11    POSTS: 11
POSTED: 10/21/11 2:41 PM

I did a HIM a month ago and signed up for another a week from now. Since the first I have had "I wish the season were over and I could drink heavily" blues. A break from Triathlon for month or so is a good think once in a while. Just to remind you of the benefits of getting home from a ride at 1300 as opposed to waking up with a hangover.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria