DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Cycling Custis/Mt Vernon/WOD at night?
CREATED: 02/12/13 by tkopan REPLIES: 2
tkopan's ravatar tkopan    JOINED: 4/7/12    POSTS: 44
Cycling Custis/Mt Vernon/WOD at night?
POSTED: 2/12/13 1:16 PM

Hi club!
I really want to take advantage of the nice weather and get my long ride in tonight, but the sunset just isn't cooperating.
In club-ers' experience, are the Custis/Mt. Vernon/WOD in Arlington good for riding at night? Or should I stick to the trainer?
Thanks!

HappyRunner's ravatar HappyRunner    JOINED: 1/15/11    POSTS: 177
RE: Cycling Custis/Mt Vernon/WOD at night?
POSTED: 2/12/13 7:23 PM

I've done the southern part of the Mount Vernon Trail many times at night, mostly due to bad timing/planning. I certainly don't recommend it. While there are few other people on the trail, the biggest problem is the headlights from the adjacent GW Parkway shining in your eyes and basically blinding you. Even running, I found it difficult to see and stay on the trail. Really, really not fun.

wbdowntown's ravatar wbdowntown    JOINED: 3/28/12    POSTS: 82
RE: Cycling Custis/Mt Vernon/WOD at night?
POSTED: 2/13/13 12:03 PM

I commute up and down the Mt Vernon trail in the dark. Bright lights are a must as there's no other light along the portion of trail south of old town. Echo the above regarding traffic headlights. Bottom line if you have intervals or hard work to do, I'd avoid Mt Vernon trail in the dark and stick to the trainer.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria