Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

PSA: Lap Swimming Etiquette
CREATED: 03/18/09 by kmwpro REPLIES: 2
kmwpro's ravatar kmwpro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 264
PSA: Lap Swimming Etiquette
POSTED: 3/18/09 9:46 AM

Just read this and thought it had some good tips, especially for folks who are just jumping in the pool! I'm sure others will have some additional tips/advice.

http://triswimcoachonline.com/tri/?p=447

On a related note, I just have to share:
Last week I was swimming with one other swimmer and we had been splitting the lane. A third swimmer jumped in without telling anyone and started swimming behind me. I found out when I pushed off the wall and rammed straight into him at full speed. This is an example of how NOT to join a lane of swimmers. :-/

adilks    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 290
RE: PSA: Lap Swimming Etiquette
POSTED: 3/18/09 10:18 AM

Karen,

Great post! Some seem like common sense but I have seen all of these mistakes made and it can be both frustrating and dangerous.

wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
RE: PSA: Lap Swimming Etiquette
POSTED: 3/18/09 12:30 PM

I'd like to add the following to the list.

- when sharing a lane, be conscientious when doing wide strokes like butterfly or breaststroke. You don't want to decapitate or kick your lane mate. Do one arm fly or shorten your kick for a stroke or two when passing, then resume your normal stroke/kick.

- be kind to those in the adjacent lanes. If an elderly woman is walking up and down her lane and clearly does not want to wet her hair, go easy on your flip turns so you don't splash her too much. Splashing is inevitable, but don't send a tidal wave her way.

- if the pool is crowded and swimmers are standing on deck waiting for a lane and you are nearly finished, go ahead and tell them how much longer you'll be. (e.g. 5 minutes, 2x100s and cool-down remaining, etc.). The waiting swimmers can then decide whether to wait it out or come back later.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria