DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

MoCo tried and true bike training routes
CREATED: 07/09/14 by Pescalita REPLIES: 3
Pescalita    JOINED: 1/22/12    POSTS: 30
MoCo tried and true bike training routes
POSTED: 7/09/14 12:34 PM

Hi all,
Just moved to MoCo, and know NOTHING about the area. Need a few good bike routes that anyone would recommend. Some shorter (hr) and longer (~40/50 miles) would be great. Live in the far northeastern reach of Silver Spring (Cloverly towards White Oak), so that area would be awesome, but would be happy with some options that don't require me to drive too far.
Thanks!

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1287
RE: MoCo tried and true bike training routes
POSTED: 7/09/14 12:58 PM

The White Oak area has pretty much nothing, as far as 40/50 miles is concerned. New Hampshire Ave and Rt29 are death wish on a bike roads.

Rock Creek is a good place to go during the weekends when they shut it down to most car traffic. It's even a pretty good ride during the work day, as long as you do it after 10:00 AM.

On the weekend, I start from downtown Silver Spring and ride Beach Drive to GTown and up McArthur toward Potomac and Poolsville. A round trip can get you up to 130+ miles on pretty good biking roads, for the most part. There are also other routes that can take you Potomac via Beach Dr toward Potomac. The hills of Potomac and Poolsville are where all of the roadies and triathletes go to log in some pretty good mileages.

There are a few other less known routes, such as Layhill Rd/Georgia Ave toward the Rt200 Toll road. There is a trail that parallels the toll road that will get you to some very isolated roads where you can bike without worries of cars, even during peak rush hours.

On the same street as the White Oak Middle School is the MLK Aquatic Center. They have an indoor and outdoor pool. The outdoor pool will sometime shutdown for master swims. When it does shutdown, it's configured for 50m.

--Tuan

SBsteph's ravatar SBsteph    JOINED: 1/24/11    POSTS: 77
POSTED: 7/09/14 3:39 PM

Welcome! Most of the rides I've joined up with are out of Laytonsville, Glen Echo, or Beach Dr. I work at White Oak and it's a bit of a desert- for me personally I don't feel safe biking on NH or 29 near the beltway. I do like the outdoor pool at MLK, when I can get there after work. Sorry I don't have more to report! I'd definitely be open to new ideas for this side of the county.

-s

jmunchak's ravatar jmunchak    JOINED: 3/24/12    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 7/10/14 7:06 AM

Actually, New Hampshire north of Randolph is not that bad and has a very wide shoulder, and is great for getting out to some quieter roads. Once you get to Ednor Rd, any of the roads that cut north/east across the Patuxent (except 97 which is busier with little shoulder) are great for getting into Howard County, where pretty much everything west of 32 and 108 is good for riding. A very underrated region but just as good as Poolesville IMO.

Here is a good example of a ride I did in this area:
http://www.strava.com/activities/90253568

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria