Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Next Page

Chicago 2014
CREATED: 08/20/13 by JoeC REPLIES: 183
jxjia's ravatar jxjia    JOINED: 8/13/12    POSTS: 112
RE: Chicago 2014
POSTED: 6/18/14 8:28 AM

I start at either 6AM or 6:05AM! Thank goodness the hotel is close to the race site.

dalutz's ravatar dalutz    JOINED: 3/13/10    POSTS: 34
POSTED: 6/18/14 9:02 AM

Wow this will be interesting. I raced ITU Stockholm last year which was structured similarly. If it runs like Stockholm the transition will be open the whole time for people to come in and set up as they please (which would be appropriate). It worked out great as the course was a similar 3 loop bike and run. It kept the course less crowded. I just hope they leave transition open.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 966
POSTED: 6/18/14 9:06 AM

I cannot claim to know the logic and rationale behind swim wave organization for this race or any race, but looking at the swim wave list for ITU Chicago, I see some logic to the organization.

The race organizers realize that a 4 loop bike course (10k each loop) is going to be very crowded. Especially with ~3k participants in the Olympic distance event. The three largest and most aggressive groups are M30-34, M35-39, and M40-44. If you look at these 3 groups in particular on the wave list, they are spaced out by about 80-90 minutes. With that kind of spacing, the majority of the first group (M30-34) will already be on their last lap of the bike before the second group (M40-44) get onto the bike course. Same thing for the time the M35-39 group gets onto the course.

The other waves are spread out inbetween with a time between waves roughly related to the average swim time for that group and then allowing a group to complete one lap of the bike course before the average time of the group behind is going to be coming onto the course.

At least, that's my interpretation of it. Like I said, I don't organize swim waves, so I am no authority on this subject.

shedrickc's ravatar shedrickc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 6
POSTED: 6/18/14 9:09 AM

it looks like the temp in chicago is in the 70's and average high is 83 so hopefully fingers crossed it won't get general smallwood tri hot

HolliMarie's ravatar HolliMarie    JOINED: 6/21/11    POSTS: 202
POSTED: 6/18/14 9:17 AM

I second Bryan's thoughts on the wave starts. As for having to wait 2-3 hours, no it's not ideal but it's also not uncommon at large races (Nation's, IM 70.3, etc). Bring a snack, find some shade and support your fellow DC Tri Clubbers. Once the race gets started time seems to pass quickly. Though the wait and anticipation may not be ideal I have a feeling you'd rather there be room to ride on the bike course than it be a complete mosh pit.

POSTED: 6/18/14 9:19 AM

According to the ITU Chicago Facebook page in response to my question: transition will NOT be open during the race.

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 295
POSTED: 6/18/14 9:20 AM

As someone who was openly critical of the course when it was announced, this is a good move by the organizers to reduce crowding/drafting on the bike and run courses, for the reasons Bryan outlined. Remember your sunscreen, and bring a gel and water bottle with you once you're done with transition!

ksimp2's ravatar ksimp2    JOINED: 9/9/11    POSTS: 21
POSTED: 6/18/14 9:45 AM

From ITU-Chicago on facebook this morning:

"For the Olympic-distance race, transition is open 4:00 a.m. - 5:45 a.m. Sunday morning, prior to the race. Everything needs to be dropped off at that time. For the sprint race, transition is open from 9:45 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. and everything needs to be dropped off during that time. There will be no reentry into transition. If you are in a later wave, you are welcome to drop your things off during that set period, and then go back to your hotel room for breakfast, etc."

lockemike's ravatar lockemike    JOINED: 5/26/09    POSTS: 57
POSTED: 6/18/14 10:37 AM

Hmmm, as a sprinter I'm not too enthusiastic about having Oly competitors careening past me while I'm trying to bring in/set up my gear.

Still, Chicago! Excitement! Teamliness! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrDlxQNS4rI

wbdowntown's ravatar wbdowntown    JOINED: 3/28/12    POSTS: 95
POSTED: 6/18/14 11:00 AM

Makes sense from a course standpoint. I have had to wait over 3hrs before (NYC Tri). Still if I'm getting up to be in transition by 5am I want to race! Who's bringing the bloddy marries? Put me down for one.

wbdowntown's ravatar wbdowntown    JOINED: 3/28/12    POSTS: 95
POSTED: 6/18/14 11:02 AM

BTW, reports from the Chicago Tri club who went out and swam the course last week, watertemp was 63 degrees. Not sure if that will hold up for another week or so, but there you go...

tpulham's ravatar tpulham    JOINED: 8/10/12    POSTS: 36
POSTED: 6/18/14 5:28 PM

video of the bike course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHQTREFz0nQ

at least we won't get too badly sunburned

PowerGator's ravatar PowerGator    JOINED: 9/7/13    POSTS: 9
POSTED: 6/20/14 2:56 PM

Wow, it is pretty frustrating that they moved the bike transport location to Fairfax in a location that is really not convenient to a metro stop. I don't think they considered people without cars and the difficulty getting out there in a middle of a work day twice.

POSTED: 6/20/14 3:11 PM

We are working on this. Ballston was the agreed upon location. We are working to get this changed. We, the club leadership, were just as surprised as everyone when we saw the Mosaic location listed in the bike transport email. All our communications with them had said the Ballston location.

markhakd's ravatar markhakd    JOINED: 10/8/09    POSTS: 223
POSTED: 6/21/14 12:26 AM

Thanks Bryan, I appreciate it. I won't be in town for either the drop-off or the pickup, and so I had arranged with someone in Ballston who could store my bike before and after, and pick it up and drop it off at the appropriate times. This wasn't the easiest arrangement to set up, and so now I'm faced with finding alternative arrangements just a few days out. I suspect others are in the same boat.

Please keep us in the loop, and thanks again --

Kevin

K8yBair    JOINED: 3/19/13    POSTS: 7
POSTED: 6/21/14 7:18 AM

Hi! Is there anyone who would be willing to let me drop off my bike with them this weekend and then take it to whatever drop-off location is decided on Thursday? I leave Sunday afternoon for New York and will be going straight to Chicago. Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Katie

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 363
POSTED: 6/23/14 10:35 AM

I won't be able to swim this weekend and am looking to put together a relay for the race. Shoot me an email if you're interested.

Pam

pamela dot simmonds at gmail

PowerGator's ravatar PowerGator    JOINED: 9/7/13    POSTS: 9
POSTED: 6/23/14 3:29 PM

Any updates about if the location will be changed back to Ballston? I am trying to arrange for a friend to drop off/pick up my bike.

Also anyone that lives in the Capitol Hill area that have extra space on their bike rack?

POSTED: 6/23/14 3:39 PM

I'll leave it to Ryan to detail all the arguing that went on, but the quick summary is drop-off and pickup will be at the MOSAIC location of FreshBikes.

Times for drop-off and pickup and have been extended on both ends preferably by 7pm but with some leeway until 8pm.

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 363
POSTED: 6/23/14 4:05 PM

I can drop off and pick up 3 bikes. You need to drop them at my place in SW (near waterfront metro and HP) ready to go. You can drop them off anytime tues to thurs am before 8am or wed evening anytime.

Pam

Pamela dot simmonds at gmail

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria