Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

wet suit advice for this Fall
CREATED: 07/28/10 by rysmelanie REPLIES: 5
rysmelanie    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 4
wet suit advice for this Fall
POSTED: 7/28/10 1:49 PM

I recently signed up for both the Cheasapeake 2.4 mile swim (Sept 25) and the Myrtle Beach tri (Oct 2) and do not have a wetsuit. I am wondering with water temps/ jellyfish if I should get a suit with sleeves or not? I've also heard that Conte's is about the only store in the area to try on suits... is that true?

Thanks!

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1319
RE: wet suit advice for this Fall
POSTED: 7/28/10 1:58 PM

Just my personal observation but I think that Bonzai Sports (Fairfax) has a bigger selection of wetsuits than Conte. This is not to say that Conte's selection is tiny ... it isn't. Bonzai has a wetsuit truck that they sometime bring to events to let people try on/rent out one of their wetsuits.

If your primary worries are with jellyfish, then definitely get the full sleeve. As far as water temp, that's a personal thing. Different people will call different water temp cold. DC Tri race director Hugh Harris, for example, won't wear a wetsuit with water temp above 70 degrees. I wear the full sleeve thing up to 84 degrees. It's a personal call.

Tuan

rysmelanie    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 4
POSTED: 7/28/10 2:08 PM

Thanks Tuan! I'll check out Bonzai too.

As for temp... I'll ask what the pool temp is set too and try to determine if I want one from there. I would like to ward off the jellyfish, but thanks to PeasantMan, I will not be so afraid now! Thanks again for putting on a fun race!

Melanie

POSTED: 7/28/10 2:22 PM

You may need to confirm this but I believed that Bonzai will give you money credit for wetsuit rentals. For example, say you pay $35 to rent a short sleeve from them then decide that you would rather get a full sleeve, the $35 that you spent on the rental will be applied to the purchase of a new one if you purchase from them. I'm not sure if Conte has the same policy but you should definitely ask.

This can benefit you greatly if you do it correctly. Say that you are 90% sure that you want to purchase a full sleeve wetsuit from them, rent it out and try it out at a pool or some open water body. If that swim convinces you that the full one is for you, return the rental and apply the rental fees toward the purchase the new suit. The rental in essense was a free rental ... just something to consider.

Tuan

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 7/28/10 2:39 PM

Actually - Tuan wears 2 - just in case.

POSTED: 7/28/10 4:04 PM

Safety first my friend :)

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria