Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

reccomend your Bento Box?
CREATED: 07/11/11 by Jewels REPLIES: 14
Jewels's ravatar Jewels    JOINED: 3/31/11    POSTS: 21
reccomend your Bento Box?
POSTED: 7/11/11 4:29 PM

I know it's a little thing and little expense but there are so many of them! I want one that fits my Iphone and some $$ and a power bar so probably on the bigger side (?) - also would love it if it were water proof (resistant) and clear (at least at the cover). Does anyone have one like that they can reccomend?

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
RE: reccomend your Bento Box?
POSTED: 7/11/11 4:34 PM

http://triathlonlab.com/profile-design-e-pack-bento-box.html

Cheap, small, works like a charm for super long rides. I can cram 2 bars and multiple gels in it. :)

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 363
POSTED: 7/12/11 8:46 AM

I picked up something similar to Abby's at the bike shop. And after crashing my bike once and having some of the contents of my bento box strewned on the road, I put my phone, money, and id in a ziplock bag to keep everything together and waterproof.

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 7/12/11 8:49 AM

The ziplock baggie is a typical cyclist's wallet, actually. I usually put that in my seat back or in the pocket of my jersey, though. :)

POSTED: 7/12/11 5:42 PM

lol --- ziplock baggies are seriously one of the most amazing inventions for anyone that does anything sporty.

kst718's ravatar kst718    JOINED: 8/29/11    POSTS: 95
POSTED: 6/10/13 10:21 AM

The link that Abby shared no longer works (this thread is 2 years old, after all!) so I'd like to reinvigorate it. Any recommendations for a bento box that will store lots of real food (i.e. not just gels/shot blox) for long rides? Thanks!

POSTED: 6/10/13 10:48 AM

I think you would need a pannier bag. ;)

tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 403
POSTED: 6/10/13 11:21 AM

That's what jersey pockets are for.

The bento is for a handful of gels, a Clif bar, and/or maybe a PB&J sandwich, which is MORE than enough to get you through 4 hours of riding. After that, you better start packing your jersey pockets full of sandwiches and bananas.

If you're talking about carrying more than that, you may be looking for something else other than a bento box. Like a backpack.

Or take some cash and buy food while you're out.

What are you intending to carry that it won't fit in your jersey pockets or a bento?

kst718's ravatar kst718    JOINED: 8/29/11    POSTS: 95
POSTED: 6/10/13 11:35 AM

My current bento box looks spiffy and aero but only fits about 3-4 gels and some shot blox. All that sugar makes my stomach turn after two hours, as I learned at Eagleman yesterday. I had been packing goldfish crackers, rice balls, PB&J, etc. in jersey pockets for longer rides (and stopping midway for refills) but that doesn't work during a HIM when you're swimming first and wearing a uni-suit. I'm not talking about Thanksgiving dinner here... just big enough to pack a bit of food other than gels.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1293
POSTED: 6/10/13 11:38 AM

I've had three different bento boxes over the years. I've found that the back pockets of your bike jersey work better than any bento box, as far as carrying volume of food/nutrition/stuff. The more that I ride with long distance folks (and I ride with A LOT of them), the more I see nutrition stored in the back of their jerseys. Jason Brez rode with me this past Sunday. He had literally three slices of pizzas in his back pocket along with all of the other nutritional products.

The other option that you might consider is storing your food in one of the water bottles. Some people ride with two rocket launchers behind their seats and two water bottle holders on the frame of their bikes. One of those water bottle holders can carry an empty bottle with food in it.

--Tuan

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1293
POSTED: 6/10/13 11:44 AM

I don't own this, but I've seen it at races. It's pretty big ... probably one of the biggest bento box I've seen in real life.

Specifications:
Approximate Capacity: 483cc (29.5 ci); Holds up to 4 full-size 2.4 oz Clif bars (bars unwrapped & halved).

Length: 27cm (10.5"); Height (without straps): 7cm (2.75"); Width: 5cm (2"); Weight: 73g.

/http://darkspeedworks.com/sp483.htm

mjraugust's ravatar mjraugust    JOINED: 12/15/11    POSTS: 99
POSTED: 6/10/13 12:24 PM

One that I do not recomend are the Timbuk2 Goody Boxes with the Iphone compartment. They seem ideal but they aren't. They are fine for hybrids or MTNs, but they are too wide for road bikes and you will scrape your inner thighs if you ever get out of the saddle. The complicated double zipper also makes it hard to get in and out of the thing quickly. What I use most of the time like a lot of folks have shared is one of the small profile designs ones that I only put nutrition and sunscreen in. Then if I am not wearing a cycling jersey with pockets I wear a Nathan running belt which holds my phone, wallet, and minimalist set of keys just fine (I actually like this better than a jersey because nothing shifts or sways in the belt. On a separate note if anyone wants to buy a Timbuk2 Goody Box only used once I'll sell one to you for $20 :)

-Mark

jbrez's ravatar jbrez    JOINED: 1/30/11    POSTS: 256
POSTED: 6/10/13 9:38 PM

I used the Dark Speed Works box Tuan linked above in IMTX last year. It held 4 powerbars and 2 slices of pizza although it had to inhale to get the zipper closed.

mjraugust's ravatar mjraugust    JOINED: 12/15/11    POSTS: 99
POSTED: 6/12/13 3:41 PM

Apparently the x-lab 22cui bento box I use has a bigger brother I am debating buying that's 36cui. I am not sure if it would be absurdly huge or not, but it's 1.5x the size of most of the other standard bentos. http://www.amazon.com/XLAB-X-Large-Rocket-Pocket-Black/dp/B005C9C2VO/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp. It's still aero, but I am not sure if it's so big it wouldn't matter. I'd love to get my flat kit and nutrition all into my bento so I can ditch the wedge pack for my flat kit.

bronxking's ravatar bronxking    JOINED: 1/13/13    POSTS: 133
POSTED: 6/12/13 8:03 PM

I saw the X-lab both sizes sold at Tri360 if you want to see how big it is in person.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria