Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

DC pool/lane schedules posted anywhere?
CREATED: 07/28/10 by mildmanneredreporter REPLIES: 6
mildmanneredreporter's ravatar mildmanneredreporter    JOINED: 8/20/09    POSTS: 26
DC pool/lane schedules posted anywhere?
POSTED: 7/28/10 5:21 PM

Does anyone know if detailed lane schedules for DC's acquatic centers (I'm personally interested in Wilson and Eastern Market) are posted on the Web anywhere?

Seems like every time I show up at a pool in the evening these days, half or more of the lanes are reserved for one or another group, which would be good to know before getting on the Metro.

Around 8 last night at Wilson, half the lanes were reserved and had 2 swimmers each in them, and the other half had 11 swimmers or more. Good open-water simulation, but still kinda annoying.

Thanks!

Gary

ashleynellis1's ravatar ashleynellis1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 84
RE: DC pool/lane schedules posted anywhere?
POSTED: 7/28/10 8:44 PM

As one of the swimmers in the reserved lanes last night, I can tell you that last night was an exception for our team to have reserved those 4 Wilson Lanes. We are a masters swim team that's part of the DC Parks and Recreation, so we work out at the public pools, Wilson and Hains Point. Usually in the summer, we use the Hains Point pool for our workouts (tues/thursday 7-830p and sunday 10-1130a), but the HP pool is closed for repairs for a few days. My understanding is that the team goes back to the HP pool this Saturday, but that's not confirmed. I'll post on the DC Tri website when I hear for sure, because I know others have been interested too.

In the fall and winter months all of our workouts (same schedule) are at Wilson. I am pretty sure that the schedule of teams reserved lanes is available at the front desk at Wilson (but last night's situation was different of course). Other groups reserve lanes at Wilson too, I believe. They have water aerobics and diving groups too. I would ask at the front desk.

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience. It was a last minute change of venue for us.

Not sure if this works with your schedule but I sometimes swim at Wilson 6:30 am and it's not crowded at all.

Hope this helps.
Ashley

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 7/28/10 9:18 PM

Check out the Mon/Wed CUA swims that we have too, if those fit with your schedule.

It's $3 instead of $0 for DC pools, but worth for the planned workouts alone. Seems like it's been a bit quiet recently, with only 1 or 2 people per lane, but the most I've seen in the last few months is 3-4 per lane, and since you are all doing the same workout that isn't a big deal.

-Brian

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 285
POSTED: 7/28/10 11:52 PM

Ahh, that makes sense. I was one of those who waited until water aerobics finished so lanes 1 & 2 were free again. Thank goodness they didn't open the diving boards. That also explains why the masters lanes weren't on the web schedule (fyi, available here: http://app.dpr.dc.gov/dprmap/details.asp?cid=3 )

mildmanneredreporter's ravatar mildmanneredreporter    JOINED: 8/20/09    POSTS: 26
POSTED: 7/29/10 10:09 AM

Thanks all for the info.

Ashley, no apologies needed, and did not mean to imply that I begrudge any group use of the pools. Just looking for some advanced warning.

Cheers all.

jomwilli's ravatar jomwilli    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 21
POSTED: 7/29/10 12:15 PM

I think due to the water / power outages and Haines Point etc. being closed, those swimmers have had to switch to alternate locations, causing crowding etc.

I don't understand why lifeguards wouldn't attempt to evenly distribute swimmers though....then again, they are public pool lifeguards.

ashleynellis1's ravatar ashleynellis1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 84
POSTED: 7/30/10 11:05 AM

FYI, the Hains Point pool is open again. The DCRP group will be swimming there tomorrow (10-11:30a, before the pool opens to the public)

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria