Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

To replace my aero helmet, or not to?
CREATED: 01/31/14 by dalutz REPLIES: 5
dalutz's ravatar dalutz    JOINED: 3/13/10    POSTS: 34
To replace my aero helmet, or not to?
POSTED: 1/31/14 11:26 AM

When I competed in my last triathlon of the year last summer an official had pointed out to me that my aero helmet was cracked. I never noticed it before. I have a Giro Advantage TT helmet and there is a small crack where the ear flap meets the helmet. If its just a small crack along the ear flap should it be replaced? The rest of the helmet is fine. Never crashed. Seeking advice.

tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 403
RE: To replace my aero helmet, or not to?
POSTED: 1/31/14 12:27 PM

Yes (if you're going to race with it).

You don't skimp on 3 things in life:

Your feet, your ass, and your head.

Good shoes, good saddle/chamois, and safe helmet. Plus, you could get DQed (if I'm not mistaken) if a less-forgiving official catches you.

There are far too many sales to not.

Or, you can race in your regular cycling helmet. Or borrow my aero helm (Giro Advantage 2). I may be changing to a different model soon, so I'd be willing to part with it on the cheap.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 462
POSTED: 1/31/14 12:45 PM

From a safety point, you are probably fine if the helmet is "uncrashed". However if the helmet is "damaged", then you may not be allowed to race.

From USAT Competitive Rules:
"5.9 Helmets. (a) Type of Helmet. All participants shall wear a protective head cover, undamaged and unaltered, which meets
or exceeds the safety standards of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)."

Nevertheless, my aero helmet has a crack in the tail yet I still raced with it. I usually have a second helmet in my car just in case of an equipment malfunction. However, I have been eying a Specialized Evade for the longest time...

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 1/31/14 12:57 PM

That crack with the Giro Ad2 is a known problem. It does not impact the safety of the helmet. It's simply an artifact of the way it's designed. If an official wants, they *can* DQ for it. However, it's my understanding that most officials know this issue.
And I 2nd Kevin's suggestion--always bring a backup helmet. If you lose/break your aero lid, it's just good to have that in the car. -Jason

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1331
POSTED: 1/31/14 9:13 PM

x2 on what Jason said. It's a known issue. It does not affect the integrity of the helmet nor does it compromise safety.

I doubt that you"ll run into problems with USAT officials. They are more thorough in Europe with the helmet inspection. I think one of the head USAT officials came onto Slowtwitch and said that as long as the main shell under the A2 plastic cover isn't compromised, they won't ban it.

--Tuan

JL71    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 2/01/14 6:13 PM

I think I'm one of two USAT referees that are in the club. Kevin has posted the rule that addresses helmets, it's pretty straight forward. You need to ask yourself, "Do I want to take the chance of not being able to race if it's determined that my helmet does not meet the standard of the rules" Do you even want to deal with that kind of heartburn the morning of a race that you've trained and prepped for?

Three people have suggested bringing a second helmet, which is an excellent idea, you never know if you might need it or maybe someone else you know might need it.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria