Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Stolen bike sought
CREATED: 07/11/11 by mosered REPLIES: 15
mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1768
Stolen bike sought
POSTED: 7/11/11 8:36 PM

Stolen from in front of Hains Pt pool around 6 pm Monday, July 11. Black carbon 2007 Scattante CFR with red and white trim; curved, clip-on aerobars, Continental tires.

tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 403
RE: Stolen bike sought
POSTED: 7/11/11 11:16 PM

Sorry to hear, Ed. Good reminder for all of us to keep a watchful eyes on our belongings, and those of our buddies.

And in this case, pictures and serial numbers could very well help...

jbrez's ravatar jbrez    JOINED: 1/30/11    POSTS: 267
POSTED: 7/12/11 7:31 AM

Sorry to hear, Ed. I know that bike well and since I scour craigslist religiously I'll be keeping an eye out.

-jason

POSTED: 7/12/11 9:01 AM

Serial Number: INDB1692.

ANguyen07's ravatar ANguyen07    JOINED: 1/16/11    POSTS: 9
POSTED: 7/12/11 3:35 PM

Sorry to hear that. I had my bike stolen a couple months back. I filed a police report as it was required to get anything from my renter's insurance.

When I talked to the cop, he told me about www.nationalbikeregistry.com. A lot of times thieves will steal bikes and sell them in other states. If a cop from another state finds your bike and matches it to you on the registry, they'll return it to you. It's $0.99 to register a stolen bike on that site.

Good luck in recovering your bike!

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1064
POSTED: 7/12/11 10:17 PM

I had sort of an interesting experience tonight at HP --

I'm riding along and I come up on a guy riding a black Scattante with red and silver trim and clip on ski bend aero bars. He was wearing cycling gear but it was kind of mismatched and he wasn't wearing a helmet. I know Ed's bike well enough that I sort of leap frogged the guy a few times checking it out and trying to decide how I wanted to handle the situation. Unfortunately, I didn't have my phone to compare the picture but looking at it now, they were very, very close. Even down to the bottle cages and saddle bag.

I eventually decided to find a cop and let him know what I saw and that it closely resembled a stolen bike. I also let the officer know that I had no reason to think this guy had stolen a bike other than it resembled Ed's bike.

So the cop pulls the guy over and it turns out this guy was legit and it wasn't Ed's bike. It also turns out that I did the right thing by not confronting him on my own. On my next loop I bump into the guy in question as he's loading it into his care. He recognized me as the one who was talking to the cop. He wasn't thrilled. He approached me to say that "We needed to have a conversation." I stopped and let him blow of some steam and then apologized and explained that his bike was very similar to a stolen one and I didn't think he looked like the kind of guy that steals bikes and then rides them at the scene of the crime. He was interested in my apology and was very confrontational and saying pretty threatening things. I think the thing that bothered me the most is that he claimed that I was only angry because he had passed me on the bike (Not true, FYI). At least it made for an interesting bike ride.

The moral of the story is, if you see a guy riding a bike like Ed's and he has a shaved head and no helmet, it's not Ed's bike. Feel free, however, to call him an A**hole. While he isn't a bike thief, the second description fits. Also, don't try to confront someone on your own. It won't go over very well and it's not worth the risk. Let the police do their job and handle it for you.

That's my story for the evening. Sorry, Ed, I wish it was your bike.

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 7/12/11 10:40 PM

I occasionally call the cops on people that pass me. They should know better. Jerks.

Ed, I've got a 2009 (?) size 58 CFR with a standard crank, headset & seatpost that I'd basically be willing to part with for free if it fits you. I scavenged all the other parts for another bike. A cable stop is broken (a zip tie solves the problem there). The fork steerer tube is cut basically as much as possible though, so not sure if it'd work for you.

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 295
POSTED: 7/12/11 10:46 PM

Ed - I've got some other parts sitting in a box from various upgrade projects that could help piece together a project bike for you - saddle, stem, handlebars, clip-ons. Just let me know.

POSTED: 7/12/11 11:25 PM

Sully and Merlin, thanks for the kind offers; I'll be in touch.

Travis, I much appreciate your going to bat for me. I fear, however, that you're dropping too many pounds from your rugged IM training to confront ill-tempered jerks hankering for a brawl. Can I suggest adding Crossfit to your regimen, and the Paleo diet, supplemented by Sonic, to bulk up a bit? You might also, before the next confrontation with a Scattante Suspect, put on some body armor, perhaps scoured from a spare Navy tuba of yours. Or, instead of calling the cops, get Simon and Hans as backup muscle, or that scary dude serving as Merlinkim's avatar. :)

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1312
POSTED: 7/13/11 7:55 AM

Oh ... I like this game. I have the below items. All yours for free if you want it Ed.

FELT 3.1 Tri/TT Saddle with Carbon Injected base, Gel Nose, Custom Waterproof Cover with Carbon Fiber Inserts and Extended Length CRN/TI rails. It's comming off of a Felt B2Pro. It also includes 2 rocket launchers. Pretty much brand new since I swapped it out for an Adamo.

Shimano 700 R500 wheelset with cassette.

Michelin 700 front wheel

Tuan

POSTED: 7/13/11 9:43 AM

Hmm. I'm not a mechanic, but I'd be willing pay going rates for someone who is, to put such a bike together. Might make a fun project for a bike hobbyist.

Could even lend the Frankenstein Bike out to club members for practice spins or races.

getgabby's ravatar getgabby    JOINED: 1/25/10    POSTS: 15
RE: Stolen bike sighted
POSTED: 8/10/11 1:48 PM

DC Tri folks in the SW area, I am 99.9% certain that I saw Ed's bike last night, Aug 9 at 8:50 PM in front of the CVS on 4th Street between M and I St (same block as Waterfront Metro). I've reported my sighting to the National Park Police (202-426-6711, Ed has a police report filed with them) and recommended they seek video security footage from the CVS store. The bike was being ridden by a young African-American male (estimate 18 years old, 6 ft tall, medium frame) who was dressed in baggy shorts and t-shirt with sneakers (despite the Shimano clipless pedals). In retrospect, I wish I'd tried to buy the bike back (Ed is willing to reimburse $50-$100). As Travis notes, however, it is not recommended to confront a suspect directly, and I have no reason to believe the guy who has the bike now is the person who stole it.

KingsPoint2001's ravatar KingsPoint2001    JOINED: 11/2/09    POSTS: 99
POSTED: 8/10/11 8:29 PM

That is awful Ed. I'll do some searches on Ebay. A bike just got stolen in my building last week as well and it was locked with one of those steel wire locks (easily cutable I guess). In any case, a friend of mine had a snowboard stolen once and he found it being sold on ebay from a seller in Massachusetts. He contacted the Police up there and it was able to be recovered amazingly enough. Hope its found!

Pete

POSTED: 8/11/11 3:26 PM

Photo of bike is here on FB:

http://m.facebook.com/?w2m&_rdr#!/photo.php?fbid=10150338821075126&id=714070125&refid=17&_ft_a=714070125&_ft_tf=10150338821075126&_ft_tpi=714070125&_ft_ti=7&_ft_fth=c985143ce273d026&_ft_time_ft=1313087612

HappyRunner's ravatar HappyRunner    JOINED: 1/15/11    POSTS: 202
POSTED: 8/16/11 10:52 PM

In my book, riding with sneakers on clipless pedals is reasonable suspician for the police to stop anyone.

I think offering to buy the bike from the thief could lead to an unpleasant confrontation with potential injury. If the bike is locked and the thief inside the store (or whereever), quickly adding your lock and then disappearing to a place of safety to call the police might be a way of safely maintaining the status quo during the hour it will take the police to respond to what they will probably classify as a low-priority call. Just a thought.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 8/17/11 11:38 AM

Sorry Ed - I had a brand new bike stolen about 20 years ago in front of a health club on K st where I was just taking a shower after rowing practice. From then on, I would only leave my old bike locked up on any street in DC. Locks don't work as any bike theif can cut through any lock if they see a nice looking bike.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria