Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Inexpesive way to optimize my bike postion
CREATED: 06/26/09 by adixon REPLIES: 6
adixon    JOINED: 6/26/09    POSTS: 5
Inexpesive way to optimize my bike postion
POSTED: 6/26/09 9:48 AM

I am looking for an inexpensive way to optimize my bike position. At this point, I am not really interested in forking over $400 for a Pro-Fit session at Cycle Life. I would like to move from my present slam potion to something more forward. Thanks -A

adixon    JOINED: 6/26/09    POSTS: 5
RE: Inexpesive way to optimize my bike postion
POSTED: 6/26/09 11:36 AM

I guess, what I am asking is if there a a knowledgeable person with in DC Tri that might be able to help me out here. -A

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1285
POSTED: 6/26/09 12:44 PM

Are you talking about inexpensive or are you talking free ?

There are many levels of bike fitting. You can go from the basic one that the local bike shop gives you after you've purchased a bike to the ones where they strap a power tap to you to the ones they put you in a wind tunnel. Most of the options out there are less than $400. I'll leave the debate as to what a "real fitting" is to the purists of the sport.

Sports and Spinal Therapy gives a good one for $200 where they video you. You can go cheaper than that by contacting the local bike store. I know that Conte offers a couple of versions and one of which is a lot less than $200. The Bicycle Place in Silver Spring can give you a basic one for $75 (I think).

If you are looking for a cheap one, try contacting some of the local bike shops in the area and ask how much they charge for a basic fit. You'll probabably end up paying less than $100 for one. Most local bike store will have a couple of different types of fitting depending on how much you are willing to pay.

I would stay away from the free one. It's like walking into a shoe store and the saleman says that you look like a size 8 based on his experience of someone who looks like you would wear. A good basic fitting should take about 30-45 minutes to complete. I'm talking really basic. They need to not only measure your body dimensions but also your cleats if you are using clipless. They need to measure you as you are sitting on the bike. These kind of things take time ... that's why it costs money. That's why free fitting from someone you've never meet before over the internet may be more harmful to you in the long run. They may sound like they know what they are talking about but free stuff are rarely free.

My personal opinion is that if your budget is $100 for a fitting, save some money to the side until you can afford $200. You can really tell the difference between the $100 basic one and the one that Sports and Spinal Therapy gives you for $200. In the long run, you will benefit more from it.

Our sport is quite expensive. There are lots of things that you can go cheap on ... such as clothing, accessories, small venue races versus big name venues, and etc. The one thing that I would not go cheap on is a bike fitting.

Tuan

catgold's ravatar catgold    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 87
POSTED: 6/26/09 1:25 PM

After receiving a ton of recommendations, I went to Marc at Spokes in Alexandria for my bike fit. I am very pleased with the service I received. The charge is normally $125 for a road bike (more for a tri bike), but he gives a significant discount for DC Tri. The phone number is 703-820-2200

Also, Ken Mierke does bike fits and I know someone who went to him this week and is very happy with his fit. He also gives a discount for DC Tri which I believe brings the price to $120. You can schedule a fit through his website: www.fitnesswerx.com but the interface is a little clumsy. You may have to sign up, pay, and then email with him to select a time/date.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 6/30/09 1:27 PM

here is as cheap as you can get.. you can calculate and do it yourself for FREE!

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Bike_Fit/Devising_a_static_tri-fit_system_890.html

Chad's ravatar Chad    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 116
POSTED: 6/30/09 2:02 PM

Oh no you didn't Justin.... ;)

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 6/30/09 2:06 PM

lol oh come on chad that is funny...if you can't take a joke you have no sense of humor :)

besides the cheapest way to do anything is to do it yourself.. and that article is on how to do your own bike fit using equations and such.. see simple.

i saw that article and just had to post it maybe someone can make those equations work.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria