DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Looking for recent-model Tri bike
CREATED: 02/05/14 by JuanFangio REPLIES: 5
JuanFangio    JOINED: 4/12/11    POSTS: 4
Looking for recent-model Tri bike
POSTED: 2/05/14 11:35 AM

Hello,

This is probably a long shot, but I am looking for a recent model (2012, 2013, 2014), size 56 (M) tri bike in the Cervelo P3, Orbea Ordu category.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please email juan@haas.berkeley.edu . Thanks!

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
RE: Looking for recent-model Tri bike
POSTED: 2/05/14 12:11 PM

I cannot help with the bike, but that's a pretty odd combination. The P3 and Ordu fit pretty differently (#s from slowtwitch.com):

Model size stack (cm) reach (cm)
P3 56 51.6 43.3
Ordu 54 52.0 40.9
Ordu 57 53.0 42.2

The P3 is very "low" and the ordu is quite "high". Were these a fitter's recommendations? Or where'd you come up with those bikes? Just looking to help -J

POSTED: 2/05/14 12:21 PM

Thank you for the feedback, Jason! Very useful to know this. I am in the beginning stages of tri-bike research. Those are two bikes the reviews of which I have found to be positive, in general . I have test-driven a couple of bikes already and found that the 56 frames usually fit me better. That said, I realize now that not all 56 frames are made equal.

I am trying to cast a wide net, because I know that getting the brand-frame-prize combination right in the second-hand market is not easy.

Do you have any suggestions on where to find good second-hand deals or which triathlon bikes are the best fitting bikes? I know that the latter question is too dependent on who the buyer is. But maybe you have some strong opinions about this.

Thanks again!

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 2/05/14 12:59 PM

Juan,
It is a daunting field, to be sure. If I may, I think you have the cart before the horse.

My suggestion would be first to get a fitting. And you should inform yourself as to what is involved in the fitting, and what you should get out of it: http://www.slowtwitch.com/Bike_Fit/Road_Bike_Fit/Reasonable_bike_fit_expectations_3595.html

Yes, there are many systems/philosophies out there, and I think they all get to the same endpoint. But once you have your info, you can start to pare down the list. Knowledge is power. Just because you *can* be fit to a bike doesn't mean it's the right one. OTOH, sometimes good enough is good enough. But if you don't even know what you're trading off, you can make some very expensive mistakes.

For sources of bikes, this forum, slowtwitch.com, beginnertriathlete.com are easy ones that come to mind. I'm sure there are others. Some shops have used bikes. Be patient, and good luck! -Jason

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1312
POSTED: 2/05/14 1:50 PM

I echo what Jason said.

"best fitting bikes" ... that's like asking what's the best fitting running shoes. It's a very individual thing. What's best for 70% of the population, might not be best for you. You can have two 5'8" guys and they may be on different size bikes of the same model, based on their body dimensions (torso length, weight, reach, legs length, and etc) and riding style. A 5'8" 140 lbs guy will ride differently than a 5'8" 240 lbs guy.

For some, riding "low" as Jason stated, means that they have the body flexibility to ride "low" without compromising comfort or power. For others, it will mean extreme discomfort and back/knee pain if they ride aero in that low position for a long period of time. Remember that test riding from a bike shop for 10-15 minutes is a lot different than doing a training ride of a few hours. I can feel comfortable riding an ill-fitting bike during a test ride from a bike shop. The same can't be said once I start doing a real training ride or race.

If you know absolutely nada about bikes or what your size should be, do yourself a favor and listen to Jason by getting a bike fitting first. A good fitter will be able to tell you which bike maker/model/year/size will best fit you. The fitter will give you a number of different bike/model options. After the bike purchase, you can bring the bike back to the fitter for the proper fitting without incurring any additional charges.

I got one of my tri bikes from Craigslist. I got a pretty good deal out of it, but I knew exactly what I was looking for. I also got a bike frame replacement off of Ebay at a whicked good price, but, again, I knew exactly what I was looking for.

--Tuan

POSTED: 2/05/14 10:39 PM

Thank you all for your recommendations. I´ll follow that advice and consider fit before anything else.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria