Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Swim for Life - 2014
CREATED: 06/29/14 by dbowe REPLIES: 10
dbowe's ravatar dbowe    JOINED: 9/7/09    POSTS: 54
Swim for Life - 2014
POSTED: 6/29/14 4:23 PM

I don't know if this belongs in the sponsor section, but just wanted to encourage anyone interested in getting open water swim training in, to consider the Maryland Swim for Life on July 12, 2014:

http://swimforlife.swimdcac.org/swimforlife/Home.html

Swim for life is a great fundraising event hosted by DC Aquatics. The swim distances are 1, 2, 2.4, 3, 4 and 5 miles. The 2.4 mile swim was included specifically for triathletes!

The signup fee is a total donation and in exchange you receive a free shirt, packet, the swim itself, and a giant meal afterwards. It's a relaxing time to learn open water swimming and just about every volunteer is a serious swimmer so they are a great source of information.

Rose PT became a sponsor of this event just this year, and we encourage everyone to take part!

mtighe's ravatar mtighe    JOINED: 5/30/12    POSTS: 29
RE: Swim for Life - 2014
POSTED: 7/02/14 7:08 PM

I'd be up for doing this, but I'd be looking for a ride from DC. Anyone have a spot?

ptorresb's ravatar ptorresb    JOINED: 4/11/13    POSTS: 67
POSTED: 7/02/14 9:13 PM

Gabi and I are thinking about joining the event.
-- Pablo

Spot99    JOINED: 4/15/11    POSTS: 23
POSTED: 7/03/14 6:29 AM

I going and I can fit 3 other people in the car/SUV.

I did it last year and had a great time. Tough swim but great event.

sellis    JOINED: 10/28/13    POSTS: 3
POSTED: 7/03/14 9:31 AM

I'm also thinking about doing this and would love to join a carpool

Spot99    JOINED: 4/15/11    POSTS: 23
POSTED: 7/03/14 4:20 PM

One seat taken and one maybe from the post right above.

mtighe's ravatar mtighe    JOINED: 5/30/12    POSTS: 29
POSTED: 7/06/14 8:28 PM

fundraising email I just sent! feel free to borrow.
~~~~~~~~~~~

The first line of this recent Washington Post story sums it all up:

"New HIV/AIDS data released by the D.C. government Wednesday show fewer new cases and fewer deaths in 2012 than years prior, but infection levels remain at epidemic rates in the District."

Continued progress depends on prevention and education efforts getting to teens and other at-risk demographics, and treatment getting to the 16,000 DC residents living with HIV.

To that end, I'll be swimming a mile at the 23rd Annual Swim for Life this Saturday in Maryland's Chester River.

Would you join me in "the rubber revolution" by making a donation to the race? All funds will go to three local groups attacking HIV/AIDs in the DMV.

Click here to make a donation.

Although I now have four "sprint" distance triathlons under my belt, those swims have only been a half-mile or less. I can't think of a better reason to step it up and swim a mile in open water than this weekend's Swim for Life.

1600 meters equal a mile. If you make a $16 donation, that's like paying me $1 for every 100 meters I swim. I promise to think of you with every stroke.

Let's go the distance and keep those HIV numbers trending downard!

HillOE's ravatar HillOE    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 76
POSTED: 7/07/14 7:52 AM

This is a great race, DC Tri has been representing for the past....4, maybe 5 years. Tammy Farmer, from our club, got me hooked.

The BBQ after is fantastic, and possibly the only reason I get out of bed and drive to Chestertown on a Sat. morning.

I missed it last year, due to having a baby 10 days prior, but will be there this year and really excited they added the 2.4.

ptorresb's ravatar ptorresb    JOINED: 4/11/13    POSTS: 67
POSTED: 7/09/14 11:51 AM

Gabi and I have space in our car, leaving from Alexandria (King St metro).

Pablo

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 945
POSTED: 7/10/14 2:05 PM

Registration for Swim for Life closes tonight! Support a good cause and get in an open water swim workout.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1713
POSTED: 7/11/14 10:13 AM

Looking to get or give a ride.

I think I've settled on 2.4 miles, not the 3 miler.

Always a fun & challenging event with a terrific brunch afterwards.

Also, does anyone want to bike afterwards? Thinking of taking my wheels.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria