Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Safe to bike on MD-5 south?
CREATED: 04/20/12 by psdonnell REPLIES: 4
psdonnell    JOINED: 7/21/11    POSTS: 1
Safe to bike on MD-5 south?
POSTED: 4/20/12 8:53 AM

Does anyone know if it is safe for me to bike on MD-5 south / MD-235 south (from DC to lexington park, md)? I'm meeting friends down there and figured I could kill two birds w/one stone by fitting in workout by biking down there. Just not familiar w/whether MD-5 and MD-235 are "bike friendly." Thanks.

DoggyBrown's ravatar DoggyBrown    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 137
RE: Safe to bike on MD-5 south?
POSTED: 4/20/12 9:58 AM

Check out the Total 200 route. I think they use roads down that way.

http://www.total200.com/The_Ride/Route_Map

conartist's ravatar conartist    JOINED: 1/31/12    POSTS: 54
POSTED: 4/20/12 3:35 PM

I've done that drive a bunch and I DO NOT recommend biking it. The traffic for one can be awful and there's not much space. Especially on a Friday. There's some nice bucolic roads out that way once you get to Lexington Park/Leonardtown, but I wouldn't bike it.

HappyRunner's ravatar HappyRunner    JOINED: 1/15/11    POSTS: 185
POSTED: 4/20/12 3:59 PM

I ride in that area all the time. You really don't have to be on MD-5 that much if you are willing to do a few extra miles and use the country roads, which are really nice and empty.

There is a dedicated, separate bike path through Charlotte Hall to avoid MD-5. North of there, in the Hughesville area, is a wide paved shoulder.

There is one spot where you basically have to walk your bike over a bridge because the shoulder is so narrow, but I don't recall exactly where that is but I think its around Mechanicsville.

One of the biggest problems I've found with MD-5 is that the shoulder is a junkyard. I think you could probably assemble a sub-compact car if you picked up all the parts scattered about. Take a couple tubes.

clcohen's ravatar clcohen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 89
POSTED: 4/22/12 8:57 AM

Agree with Happyrunner - MD-5 is a junkyard. I got 5 flats doing Total 200 (3 front and 2 back tires). There is a LOT of debris on the road.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria