Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Class Wanted: Paceline and How to Bike Hills Effectively
CREATED: 05/20/14 by bronxking REPLIES: 9
bronxking's ravatar bronxking    JOINED: 1/13/13    POSTS: 151
Class Wanted: Paceline and How to Bike Hills Effectively
POSTED: 5/20/14 10:43 PM

I don't know how to paceline, but I pretend that I do. Also, biking up hills is like my kryptonite and I heard from a source who shall remain anonymous that biking up hills is kind of technical and perhaps, I'm struggling because I'm just not doing it with skillz. If someone with skillz can set up a group class, that would be spectacular. I know there was an informal pacelining class that Ron led, but I was volunteering that day, so I had my priorities.

Just to throw it out there, next two weekends are bad (for me, mainly) cuz there's Black Bear, then Eagleman. Weekend after Eagleman would be promising as well as weekday mornings and at the North East Camping/Training Weekend.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 983
RE: Class Wanted: Paceline and How to Bike Hills Effectively
POSTED: 5/21/14 9:00 AM

I had the idea recently, while doing my hill repeats, of setting up a Tuesday night MoCo hill repeat/interval weekly bike workout (followed by a run). Then I tried to figure out when I could actually fit that into my schedule and came up blank. Now that I have the idea, I think I'll start it next spring, but that doesn't really help you now. :) And it's also a bit close to Black Bear (1.5 weeks away) to start now! But we can probably figure something out later in the summer.

kst718's ravatar kst718    JOINED: 8/29/11    POSTS: 95
POSTED: 5/21/14 11:09 AM

The Bike Rack sometimes hosts classes on pacelining; I bet some requests would get it scheduled faster. As for hill climbing, you can read about it online (common advice: lose weight, have a light bike, sit up and lean back, etc.) but I'm a big fan of practice. Pick a hill that is long and has various gradients (Chain Bridge off MacArthur in DC is one of my favorites). Hit the lap button on your garmin at the top and bottom so you can compare repeats. Then tinker with cadence, gearing, body position, etc. What happens if you stand? Or stay in aero? A power meter is handy but not essential. Try to keep your power and HR from spiking. A little self delusion also helps -- tell yourself the hill is flat, or that you have a tail wind, or are being pulled to the top by flappy birds. For me, the biggest bump in hill climbing ability came when I decided that I'm good at climbing. (Probably wasn't true at the time but I've improved since then!)

Hope this helps!

POSTED: 5/27/14 10:14 PM

Hey thanks for the comments! I'll start hitting the hills at Chain Bridge.

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 365
POSTED: 5/28/14 11:44 AM

Tilden and Porter are also popular hill repeat locations.

JHJ20012's ravatar JHJ20012    JOINED: 2/1/10    POSTS: 178
POSTED: 5/28/14 6:07 PM

Also Brandywine off Broadbranch near Beach Drive. Or the hill to the Mormon Temple off Beach Drive. The cars go pretty quick on Chain Bridge off MacArthur, so be careful there!

POSTED: 10/02/14 11:43 AM

I just want to bring this topic back up. Race season is slowing down, so I'm hoping someone with skillz and free time can lead a pacelining or climbing class <wink, wink, Bryan Frank>. Seeing all these pros at the Tour pacelining with precision and climbing up some killer mountains at 20+ mph is making me rather jealous.

POSTED: 10/02/14 11:43 AM

I just want to bring this topic back up. Race season is slowing down, so I'm hoping someone with skillz and free time can lead a pacelining or climbing class <wink, wink, Bryan Frank>. Seeing all these pros at the Tour pacelining with precision and climbing up some killer mountains at 20+ mph is making me rather jealous.

astolz1's ravatar astolz1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 547
POSTED: 10/02/14 1:01 PM

Hey, did you look into Bike Rack per Katherine's comment? What'd they say?

POSTED: 10/02/14 4:17 PM

They told me they don't have a pacelining class anymore, but I can show up to their introductory Saturday rides and check with the ride leader that day to see if he/she is willing to teach pacelining during the ride. I'd be happy to pay it forward next year if someone teaches me this year!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria