Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Open Water Swim Clinics, how does it work?
CREATED: 05/08/09 by giovobo REPLIES: 11
giovobo    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 20
Open Water Swim Clinics, how does it work?
POSTED: 5/08/09 11:40 AM

For the OSW clinics, can we just show up at Gunstor Manor whenever the clinics are scheduled?
I have tried contacting Denis, but haven't received any response so far.
I checked the website and it says pay when you arrive, and nothing about reserving a spot.

ppgodes's ravatar ppgodes    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 83
RE: Open Water Swim Clinics, how does it work?
POSTED: 5/08/09 7:38 PM

You know, I'm interested in doing this as well, and I've e-mailed Denis 3 times. Two from the website, and one from my home account. No response. I don't know what's going on...if we should just show up? Anyone else heard anything?

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1714
POSTED: 5/09/09 6:17 AM

Good question. I just emailed her again, waiting for response.

POSTED: 5/09/09 7:12 PM

Thanks Ed.

If you could let us know if you hear back...I really want to go tomorrow, but don't even know if it's still on since I still haven't heard anything.

Very frustrating.

Paula

POSTED: 5/09/09 7:46 PM

Paula,

I haven't heard back. Haven't been to find a working alternative email contact on US Open Water site.

Undecided about this, the Eagleman course (and Sandy Pt.), Bike Rack ride, Glen Echo ride, or justsoloing at Hains. :)

Ed

POSTED: 5/09/09 9:33 PM

To all,

I went to the openwaterswim website, and actually found a phone number.
Just talked to Denis....it's still on...water will probably be between 62 and 64 degrees from what he said...all are welcome - show up with a wetsuit and $20....no pre-sign up. Directions are posted on our DC Tri website to Mason Neck.

I'll see ya there,

Paula

POSTED: 5/10/09 6:40 AM

Be careful of the conditions out there. Due to all the rain, the Potomac has been surging. Possibly strong currents, and junk in the water.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/09/AR2009050902331.html?hpid=sec-metro

giovobo    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 20
POSTED: 5/10/09 11:21 AM

Thanks Paula for getting this info!!!
I'm planning on going to the June 7th one.
I still have 2 seats left in my car to whomever wants to carpool.
rojas.giova@gmail.com

Peace!

POSTED: 5/10/09 6:19 PM

Thought I'd report...

I went this morning...the people who run this are great...the had set up buoys out in the river which made about a 500 meter loop.

They talked a little about the physiological response to getting in cold water, starting slowly, breathing, sighting, etc.

But most of the morning was swimming as many circles as you wanted around those buoys practicing relaxed breathing, sighting, drafting, etc.

What was really nice, you could stand at any point along the loop...it was only about 4 feet deep...so it took away the "freak out" factor of not being able to touch the bottom.

The water was 64 degrees today...great to practice in a wetsuit...next time, think I'll try a sleeveless wetsuit. I feel really constricted in mine, and feel like I'm choking all the time. They recommended sleeveless. One woman had sleeveless out there...I asked if she was cold...like your feet, once the initial "shock" wears off, she said she was very comfortable.

I don't know what anyone's thought is on the full wetsuit, but I've been in mine about a half a dozen times, and I just can't get through that claustophobic feeling.

Final point, I think the biggest trick to successful open water swimming is to practice open water swimming. It is so different from swimming in a pool...I think the more you're out there doing it, the more comfortable you're going to feel.

So though it says "clinic," which implies going to one to get the information, I think it would be better to join them any time you can for the group practice.

It was well worth it.

Paula

aoliveira's ravatar aoliveira    JOINED: 5/12/09    POSTS: 22
POSTED: 5/12/09 3:56 PM

Hi!

Does this clinic goes on every week? I would like to give it a try. Could you please share the contact information?

Thanks very much. Alex.

adilks    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 290
POSTED: 5/12/09 4:03 PM

The schedule of the open water swims are on the homepage, under Buzz.

aoliveira's ravatar aoliveira    JOINED: 5/12/09    POSTS: 22
POSTED: 5/12/09 4:12 PM

Thanks very much!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria