Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Roll Call - Cape Henlopen Sprint Tri?
CREATED: 09/17/10 by KBRESLIN REPLIES: 14
KBRESLIN    JOINED: 1/24/10    POSTS: 62
Roll Call - Cape Henlopen Sprint Tri?
POSTED: 9/17/10 3:27 PM

Anyone planning to do this race Sun, 10/10?

eskane    JOINED: 6/23/09    POSTS: 18
RE: Roll Call - Cape Henlopen Sprint Tri?
POSTED: 9/17/10 4:11 PM

I'll be there! Probably in an all-black kit (Livestrong top) and TNT wetsuit. Will almost certainly hit up the Dogfish Head brewpub in Rehoboth at least once over the weekend!

Elizabeth

POSTED: 9/20/10 6:15 PM

Cool! Maybe we can meet up?

POSTED: 9/22/10 10:19 AM

Sure! I'll be there with a couple other folks so the more the merrier. I've got another race in the meantime so let's be in touch the week of the 4th? Look forward to meeting you!

Elizabeth

POSTED: 9/22/10 10:19 AM

Sure! I'll be there with a couple other folks so the more the merrier. I've got another race in the meantime so let's be in touch the week of the 4th? Look forward to meeting you!

Elizabeth

baumdiggs    JOINED: 7/13/10    POSTS: 9
POSTED: 9/22/10 1:12 PM

Hey guys,
I'm signed up for Cape Henlopen as well! It should be a good time.

Question for you - are we thinking that wetsuits are pretty much required, considering it's the Atlantic Ocean in October? I was able to avoid renting one when I did my first sprint tri in June and was hoping the streak could continue, but something tells me just wearing my tri shorts and tank could be quite chilly...

Christina

POSTED: 9/22/10 5:03 PM

i'm taking mine. i've done osprey sprint which is the wknd before on the MD shore and it is definitely chilly. then again, the swim for henlopen is only a quarter mile -- 440 yards. i imagine that with the proper motivation (i.e. chilly temps), one could swim 440 yards VERY quickly!

POSTED: 9/22/10 5:16 PM

that's the only thing that will keep me afloat!

mildmanneredreporter's ravatar mildmanneredreporter    JOINED: 8/20/09    POSTS: 26
POSTED: 10/04/10 10:04 AM

Air will definitely be chilly - and chillier than the water. One thing to keep in mind is that the swim exit is a solid half mile from transition. For myself, I haven't decided whether it's worse to swim in the cold, or run schlepping or wearing a wetsuit!

POSTED: 10/04/10 5:47 PM

half a mile?! wtf? I can't imagine running holding the wet suit so I guess run w/it on.

it appears there are 4 of us participating from our club. it would be nice to meet up before (in the am) so we can cheer each other on. I, of course, do not have dc tri gear, but will bring my water bottle. :) And maybe run in the t-shirt to promote the club.

POSTED: 10/04/10 6:05 PM

ps- the water temp is 64 today. brrrr

baumdiggs    JOINED: 7/13/10    POSTS: 9
POSTED: 10/07/10 2:54 PM

Yay, the forcecaset has definitely improved with a high of 71, low of 58. Water temp is 65 today. Think I can get by without renting a wetsuit? I know all the arguments for wearing one, but my tri budget for the year is shot and it seems like this race has a mixed record on the swim actually happening.

I'd love to meet up that morning but will have to attend the pre-race meeting at 7 since I won't be getting in until late the night before, so I might be rushed getting ready.

Anyone else camping?

POSTED: 10/07/10 6:19 PM

I need to attend that meeting as well and I'm not a morning person so maybe we'll see each other at that. I hope we swim b/c I've spent a lot of time getting over my fear of dark/open water. :) I'm using a wetsuit b/c I need the buoyancy.
Sorry, not camping but it will be great weather for it!

mildmanneredreporter's ravatar mildmanneredreporter    JOINED: 8/20/09    POSTS: 26
POSTED: 10/07/10 9:51 PM

The Sunday morning meeting is mandatory -- but it's usually the race director telling us to have fun. Don't worry about missing the Saturday meeting. Piranha runs very low-key events, and Slower, Lower Delaware after Labor Day is as low-key as it gets. If memory serves, this is what you would have learned at the Saturday meeting:

1. Swim exit is 1/2 mile from transition, so there will be an optional shoe transition area where you can leave shoes or Tevas to jump into on the way out of the water to run to the bikes. (I'm going to swim with Five Fingers already on. There shouldn't be a reason you couldn't do the run barefoot -- it's almost all on blacktop, but over such a long distance, there could be a stray pebble or shell that might hurt.)

2. The turn at the farthest point of the bike course is actually kinda tight, so be careful.

3. The last leg of the bike is slightly down hill with a slightly blind curve with no shoulder, so stay to the right.

On whether to wear a wetsuit -- you could probably get by without it, given the length. Maybe bring an old sweat shirt and pants and wear them right up until the gun to stay warm, and then if you lose them on the beach, who cares? You could also buy a neoprene cap to wear under your racing cap. That's something that shouldn't cost too much and you might get future use from.

See you saturday!

POSTED: 10/07/10 9:52 PM

The Sunday morning meeting is mandatory -- but it's usually the race director telling us to have fun. Don't worry about missing the Saturday meeting. Piranha runs very low-key events, and Slower, Lower Delaware after Labor Day is as low-key as it gets. If memory serves, this is what you would have learned at the Saturday meeting:

1. Swim exit is 1/2 mile from transition, so there will be an optional shoe transition area where you can leave shoes or Tevas to jump into on the way out of the water to run to the bikes. (I'm going to swim with Five Fingers already on. There shouldn't be a reason you couldn't do the run barefoot -- it's almost all on blacktop, but over such a long distance, there could be a stray pebble or shell that might hurt.)

2. The turn at the farthest point of the bike course is actually kinda tight, so be careful.

3. The last leg of the bike is slightly down hill with a slightly blind curve with no shoulder, so stay to the right.

On whether to wear a wetsuit -- you could probably get by without it, given the length. Maybe bring an old sweat shirt and pants and wear them right up until the gun to stay warm, and then if you lose them on the beach, who cares? You could also buy a neoprene cap to wear under your racing cap. That's something that shouldn't cost too much and you might get future use from.

See you saturday!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria