Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Avoid Performance Bikes Baily's Crossroads - they SUCK!
CREATED: 04/21/10 by starcaro REPLIES: 9
starcaro's ravatar starcaro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 60
Avoid Performance Bikes Baily's Crossroads - they SUCK!
POSTED: 4/21/10 12:20 PM

Since January I have been dealing with Performance Bikes in Baily's Crossroads, and they have been the epitome of incompetency, mixed messages and poor service delivery... I would urge you all to avoid them at all costs unless you want unresolved issues for 4+ months and fake promises of redemption. If you want details, read on for how they f'ed up my experience.

In Jan, MLK weekend, I had a borrowed car, so I went to Performance Bikes to check out trainers. They had one in stock for a good price, but I wanted the upgraded one that included the electronic read out for the trainer, but they had to order it from their warehouse for me. I asked if it would be delayed because of the holiday and they said no - shipments would arrive on Wed. Wed came and went and I didn't hear anything. The following Wed (10 days after my initial order) I call the store to see what was going on. The person I spoke to then tells me that I wasn't suppose to receive an email or phone call, but that it arrived, so just come in. So I did... and the first question I am asked is if I received an email saying it arrived... WTF??!! I was told on the phone that it arrived and was there waiting for me and now in the store they couldn't find it and said it didn't arrive! I'm annoyed as hell but no one at the store has any power to remedy the situation because none of the are managers and can't locate the store or sales managers over the phone either.

The next day, Cory, the sales manager, calls. There was some issue with the shipping or the warehouse or something, and he apologizes and says it will arrive in the next week. At that point I am annoyed because I'd no longer have a borrowed car and also pissed that this was getting so delayed. He tried to make up for it by saying he can have the trainer shipped to me directly so I don't have to go to the store and that he'll also send a gift card to make up for the jumbling of information and poor service I received... A week later, starting the 2nd week of Feb, I receive the trainer... I wait... and wait... and wait... and no gift card.

Finally today, 3 months after my first visit and over 2 months since I was promised a gift card, I haven't received anything. i call into the store to see what happened. This time I spoke to the actual manager (who's attitude is far from a ray of sunshine) and told her all of these things that have happened and that I was promised a gift card that has yet to arrive. She offers a $20 gift card for my troubles, but says I have to come into the store to pike it up. Great, without a car, that will be very helpful, especially when I was suppose to have received one from Cory 2 months ago... I ask her if maybe her policy of not sending it in the mail is what happened with the one Cory was suppose to have sent. She checks with him, and he admits he had not yet sent that gift card. TWO MONTHS LATER, the SALES MANAGER ADMITS HE DID NOT FULFILL HIS PROMISE! Total lack of follow through in addition to all of the mixed messages and delays and poor service. So if customer service is important to you, then by all means, AVOID PERFORMANCE BIKES IN BAILYS CROSSROADS. Its obviously a sign of really bad management that poorly trains their staff. I know people are perfect and I could accept a mistake that is then resolved and made up for, but this is a series of mistakes and poor service over and over again. It's just not worth the hassle.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 708
RE: Avoid Performance Bikes Baily's Crossroads - they SUCK!
POSTED: 4/21/10 12:28 PM

Yup - I prefer the smaller local chains like Contes & Spokes. Much better customer service.

Look on the bright side though - at least you didn't have to deal with Comcast too.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
RE: Avoid Performance Bikes Baily's
POSTED: 4/21/10 12:49 PM

i have found that the chain bicycle stores are great for mail order and internet shopping and phone sales as you can find out immediately if something is in stock or not.

the chain stores brick and morter places i have found are extremely useful ifyou need something "now" as they usually will match their online price that is much cheaper than the smaller "contes and spokes stores" at times. but i usually never have them "order" stuff for me.

i have found that contes and spokes are way overpriced on their retail items and only with sales and discounts do their prices become competitive with the online and discount stores.

the major advantage that the smaller stores i have found is "if" and its a very very very big "if" they have good mechanics its usually worth it to go to those stores for major service work on your bike if needed. That is usually the only reason i go to smaller stores is if i know the mechanic is worth the money.

sorry you hear about your bad experience, it happens to the best stores at times.

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 4/21/10 1:22 PM

The club has many bicycle shop merchant partners who consistently give great service, and usually great deals on gear!

These shops currently are:
Conte's
Bicycle Pro Shop
The Bike Rack

More info on locations and member benefits can be found on the Partner page.

Thanks,
Andy

starcaro's ravatar starcaro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 60
POSTED: 4/21/10 1:55 PM

Yes, Andy, you are right, our merchant partners have definitely given consistently great service. I can speak from first hand experience at Contes and the Bike Rack that they have always been extremely helpful and patient with any request or questions. There was a guy at The Bike Rack that helped me for like 15-20 minutes after my clipless pedals were first installed so I could practice clipping in and out, first inside the store and then outside as well. So I definitely recommend our merchant partners to everyone in the club. The only reason I ventured to Performance Bikes that day because I went to the Trader Joes in that same shopping center, but I wish now that I would have just walked right back out.

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 4/21/10 2:41 PM

Buddy of mine works in another one of thier stores. He says the same thing.. STAY AWAY from that store. I bought a new set of $500 Mavic MTB rims. Got home and didn't have a skewer to one of the whels and the space for the cassette was missing. I am just glad I had a spare spacer and skewers in my garage. From now on I iwll just order through the internet and have it deliver to the store for free if they have something I actually want for my mountain bike.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 708
POSTED: 4/21/10 2:43 PM

Yes - but let's try and support our partner stores as much as possible. It is a tough business competing with those discount chains - and who else shows up at the tri events to give mechanic support - free give aways at training events etc.

pgfde121's ravatar pgfde121    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 245
POSTED: 4/21/10 4:04 PM

Cheap parts are great, but when crap breaks and you need someone to fix it ASAP for your race that weekend, who do you goto? Your local bike shop. And, as someone else mentioned, the LBS's have provided support to plenty of local races to only fair to return their committment.

So, please folks, don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Support your local shops, with the club discount and no shipping charges odds are they are pretty comparable.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 616
POSTED: 4/27/10 10:15 PM

Heard a couple stories about the Bailey's Crossroads one, and man that sucks. To throw in a wrench - the Performance Bikes in Tysons on Route 7 - they kick ass. My go to shop for years. Their mechanics can tune with the best of them at a much cheaper price. Bought my first road there (a Fuji with DuraAce discounted to less than the DuraAce components themselves), bought most of my riding accessories at discounts, used their rewards coupons for free stuff, and have always been happy with them. Because I bought a bike there and they knew me, I got all kinds of free tune ups to other bikes. Now I'm kind of a Contes snob (and like Bonzai Sports too), but still love Perf Bikes Route 7. They combine good service, nice owners, great mechanics, and can crush almost any other shop on prices and discounts. Anyways, my story tangent aside, I'm sorry for your experience at Baileys, C.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 4/27/10 11:48 PM

on a tangent.

simple way to "test" a store to see how good their mechanics are.

bring a somewhat older bike in for a "full overhaul" it may cost you 200-300 for this but if the shop gives you an attitude of "your bike is not expensive enough or good enough for our mechanics to work on" LEAVE IMMEDIATELY!!

That is a sign of a "bike snob" store that is way too full of themselves.

also if you ever get an overhaul done, the work quality to it should be EXACTLY the same regardless of if its a 6 year old $500 (new) race bike or $15,000 P4 Cervelo. If the shop skimps on your bike because its "not the latest and greatest carbon bike" never shop there again, EVER, and tell your friends never to go back.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria