Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Inserts in packet pickup bags (need opinions)
CREATED: 02/14/11 by pgfde121 REPLIES: 6
pgfde121's ravatar pgfde121    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 233
Inserts in packet pickup bags (need opinions)
POSTED: 2/14/11 10:52 AM

Morning All,

My current job is assisting the IAFF Foundation with fundraising activities to include marathon and other fitness teams. The Foundation has multiple assets, including the Burn Foundation, the Fallen Firefighter Memorial, Disaster Relief, and some additional smaller programs.

We currently have runners participating in the Marine Corps Marathon and 10K as well as the Chicago Marathon. We're looking to expand to additional races (likely the Rock N' Roll series) and want to advertise the IAFF Foundation as a charity for which runners could fundraise.

Question is, how much attention do you pay to the informational items in the various packet pickup bags that you get at races? Are there specific things you would look for that would "hook" you onto a certain cause? How many of you have actually signed up for a race/charity due to the information contained therein?

Second, what would be the best way to get information into your hands outside of packet pickup? Do you read the active.com emails? Flyers in running stores? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated as I'm quite new to the fundraising arena...

Thanks in advance,

Ron

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
RE: Inserts in packet pickup bags (need opinions)
POSTED: 2/14/11 11:16 AM

Outside of outfitting Tuan with your logos - I would say advertising on the race website is the best bang for the buck. I throw away all the paper inserts in the race bag unless they have a free sample attached or it is a coupon for a local store.

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
POSTED: 2/14/11 12:38 PM

I always read the papers in the race shwag bag, especially if the race is out of town and I'm sitting in a hotel room thinking about whether to eat at Olive Garden or Olive Garden.

I have considered signing up for races based on the ads there. To hook me into signing up for a race, the race would have to be cool for some reason. It would help if the paper had a cool design, too. Or a map to Olive Garden on the back. But truthfully, facebook ads are getting most of my attention these days -- seriously.

Charity is a whole different animal. I'm much more likely to pay extra for a race, with the extra going to a charity than to just send money.

Brad.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 2/14/11 1:13 PM

i never read the junk mail/inserts taht are in the race packets.

save the money, the only inserts i read are the ones pertaining to the race information and such. if you want to get your product name to me, get the race organization to let you put your product name on the information sheet on the border or something that way it will have a chance of me maybe noticing it, if its an extra flyer its going in the garbage inmmediately.

i never pay attention to the charities due solely to a race flyer. also charities are tough in that the only thing that would "hook" me to a charity is if i felt a connection to it somehow, ie, someone i knew was involved with the charity, etc. that is something a random charity would not know, its pure luck.

and best way to get me interested in a race is like others say here by posting it on the current race website for the race i'm doing at that time, its best if the charity race and the race i'm doing are run by the same people and t6here is that connection there, that way i have maybe some assurances that the race will be a quality race. otherwise i'm less likely to do it since i have no idea of who is running it if its put on by another organization.

also flyers in the local running;/triathlon stores helps if those are places i frequent and you can get some info to the people that run the store so that i can ask them how the race is, etc., again if you have that "personal" side to the equation i'm much more likely to sign up for a random race than, well a random race from a flyer

pgfde121's ravatar pgfde121    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 233
POSTED: 2/15/11 9:34 AM

Thanks everyone, will take this all into consideration! Any other ideas please feel free to add...

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1293
POSTED: 2/15/11 9:50 AM

I always pay attention to flyers that have stuff attach to them ... like candy, pens, or bulky stuff like a cereal box. I may not eat or use them but when I dump the stuff out of my goodie bags or reach into them ... those are the things that cause me to give them a second look.

Does IAFF have access to small plastic firemen's helmet or toy fire engines? I'd bet taping them to a flyer will distinguish it from all of the other flyers.

People are always interest in medals ... the prettier, the better. How about doing something like giving the folks raising money for you an extra shining medal that is specific to a race? Maybe a firemen's helmet design that is on top of the MCM's (or whatever race) logo? That would peak people's interests.

I would also use the social media outlet. I am more likely to read about a charity or a race if one of my facebook friends post it.

Tuan

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1736
POSTED: 2/15/11 11:19 AM

I toss swag unless it's actual nutrition or a local store coupon.

Seems like charities of late that have done well raising money, like Triathletes Doing Kilamanjaro and High Cloud, have sponsored a race or host a HH with raffle. And it's good to give racers an opportunity to raise pledges for the event.

(Edgy topic, but maybe do tie-in to backyard Burn?)

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria