DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Races with club competitive components
CREATED: 03/20/09 by xena REPLIES: 8
xena's ravatar xena    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 138
Races with club competitive components
POSTED: 3/20/09 1:47 PM

Try to say that five times fast.

Anywho, I didn't see this aggregated anywhere.

Races with club components. AKA area clubs compete for prizes. Feel free to add on:

Duathlon Nationals
http://www.duathlonnationals.com/

Rock N Roll Half Marathon
http://www.rnrvb.com/home.html

Patriot's Weekend races
http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=1138

Savageman
http://www.savagemantri.org/

Presumably the USATMA championship if they ever pick a race ...

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
RE: Races with club competitive components
POSTED: 3/20/09 3:20 PM

OK... How hard is this SAVEGMAN. I keep hearing about it and this infamous wall, I remember hearing about everyone talking about it last year before I left. Is this one a group of us are going to go and tackle???

POSTED: 3/20/09 3:31 PM

Oh it's totally easy, you can do it on a hybrid no problem. Snicker.

I only did the bike portion of the OLY relay and that was enough for me.

Pros: beautiful area. Staying in a group house is super fun. Having Ryan to cook for you is awesome.
Cons: it is wicked hard.
I usually like the whoosh-y feeling of flying downhill at breakneck speeds. But not when it's over rough road into a hairpin turn uphill.

It's do-able. But you can't fake the training. If you're considering the half, learn to love hills.

Also the run is more of a mountain climb.

And the fog on the swim was so bad the frontrunners made a wrong turn.

But it was a fun weekend. I don't know what the club as a whole is planning on, maybe the board will respond, but I would expect a group to head up again.

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 3/20/09 3:50 PM

Rockett's Landing in Richmond is giving away $5000 in prize money. I thought that some of this $$$ is going to clubs, but can't confirm. There is the "Great Ball of Fire Award" for the loudest most spirited team @ the race. Same day as Columbia: May 17

http://rockettslandingtri.racesonline.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=site.display&page_id=2863

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 957
POSTED: 4/01/09 8:09 AM

I know I'm heading up to Savageman again this year (International distance; next year I'll attempt the Half and the Wall) but I don't know if it's going to be as big of a crowd as we had last year. I know a lot of people are doing Nations instead, which is the weekend before. If you want to see The Wall, just look up Westernport Wall on youtube and you'll find clips of it (but the Wall is ONLY on the Half, not on the International though that one has plenty of climbs itself).

I did the swim and run last year in a relay. The run is a lot of trail running, a lot of uphill on roads and then combining that a trail run UP a mountain. It's not easy. And somehow they even manage to turn the swim into an uphill race. You come out of the water (see my avatar, that's me coming out of the water at Savageman) and run UP the boat ramp, UP a paved trail, and UP a 12 stairs to get to the level of the transition area. :) Overall, it really is a pretty savage course. But a whole lot of fun.

POSTED: 8/10/09 12:00 PM

One more:
Inside Out Sports White Lake International Triathlon featuring Club Wars 2009

The first of its kind in this area. Finally, an opportunity for area Tri Clubs or Groups (i.e., city teams, coaching clubs, Team in Training groups, etc.) to showcase their talents. This event promises to be quite an experience. All Tri Clubs are invited and encouraged to attend. Although this event provides an opportunity for clubs to compete with each other, it is not limited to clubs or club members. Individual athletes and other relays are welcome and encouraged to participate. Be sure to list your Club in the comments section of your registration form!

The White Lake International Triathlon featuring Club Wars takes place on same course as the famed White Lake Triathlon Event. The location is perfect for such an event, as the North Carolina FFA Center allows teams to campout together at the race site and enjoy the triathlete community. You can rent a cabin or just simply pitch a tent on the grounds. There will also be a Luau (NO food provided, ONLY beverages) on Saturday night at 6pm, which will give teams a chance to hang out and socialize with other Tri Clubs. Music will be provided at the Luau. Come join the fun and help promote comraderie among triathletes and Tri Clubs. The 2008 Ironman World Championships will be shown on a big screen at the Luau for all participants to enjoy.

The Inside Out Sports Dash For Divas women's only triathlon will be held on Saturday, the day before the White Lake International Triathlon featuring Club Wars. Participants are encouraged to come down Friday and compete in the beginner distance event (250m Swim, 7 mile Bike, 2 mile Run), enjoy the Luau Saturday night, and stay to race or cheer on participants in the Club Wars Triathlon on Sunday. A great way to spend a weekend!

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 8/10/09 12:51 PM

If anyone else is running or interested in running the Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon, please email me. If we get enough folks, I'll register us for the Get Fit Challenge (team competition). It takes a team of 10 or more. Thanks, Simon. talksimon at gmail. Looks like it's a little late to enjoy the perks, except for prizes if we win. We could register as a surfing club:

Enjoy the following team perks:
Automatic $10 off of registration fee
Increased support, motivation and camaraderie
FREE Access to Active Trainer
Prizes awarded to the 3 largest and fastest teams
Form a team in one of the following divisions:
Education: Teachers, Professors, Students, Alumni and Administrative Staff
Club: Running, Triathlon, Biking, Walking, Surfing, Swimming, etc…
Corporate: Co-Workers and Business Associates
Military: Air Force , Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, National Guard, and Navy
http://www.rnrvb.com/training/GET_FIT_Challenge

minime's ravatar minime    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 48
POSTED: 8/18/09 3:12 PM

Savageman. It's challenging but the field is wicked small (no coincidence there).

I'm not doing anymore tiny races where I'm destined to come in last. After the spectators, course marshals and water stops have disappeared. I would only attempt another relay (with Z and Jeanne, of course).

seewhatucando's ravatar seewhatucando    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 116
POSTED: 8/18/09 5:34 PM

The Philly SheROX tri has a club competition component. I know we posted a measily 3-4 people at that race a couple of years ago.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria