DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New to the Club, Ironman Florida, and Swimming
CREATED: 01/12/10 by timkelley REPLIES: 10
timkelley    JOINED: 1/4/10    POSTS: 13
New to the Club, Ironman Florida, and Swimming
POSTED: 1/12/10 7:13 PM

Hello All,

After seeing all the DC Tri Club jerseys on training rides and at races I thought I should check things out here. It seems like there is a pretty thriving community here which I'd like to get invovled in.

This is my second season racing and my "A" race this year is IM Florida. Is anyone else here doing that too? I'm in Ballston and generally swim at Washington & Lee or Wilson and bike and run in all directions.

I was also wondering if there are any swim clinics that the club will be putting on, other than the regularly scheduled swims? Or, can anyone speak to some of the clinics in the area? Swimming is by far the most difficult of the three events for me and I am hoping some instruction will help out a lot.

Doing some research online, I've found the Clay Britt swimming Clinics locally and a few Total Immersion clinics in Baltimore. Are they worth the money?

I can't wait for warm weather!

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1312
RE: New to the Club, Ironman Florida, and Swimming
POSTED: 1/13/10 7:54 AM

Once the warmer weather rolls around, you'll see plenty of swim clinics posted on the web site. There is usually a weekly swim clinic (every Saturdays I believe) at Lake Anna that's run by CUBU or one of the private coaches. SSPT also hold swim clinics at the Lab School in GTown every once in awhile during the warmer months. The woman who runs it (Sarah) used to be the Australian open water champ back in the days. She's got a couple of coaches under her watch that are pretty good teachers of the skill. Again, everything can be found on the web site under the "Workouts", "Events", or "Buzz" section of the web site.

One of the members of DCTri, Paula, did the Total Immersion clinic last year. She raves about it. I think she said that it was the best money that she had ever spent on anything tri related.

There are at least 6 people that I know of who are doing IMFL this year. I think that there were about a dozen in 2009. Not sure if this is your first IM or first IMFL. If it is then check out the pics below on the sights and sounds of IMFL 2009 through the eyes a swimmer that no one else wants to be near once the gun goes off.

Pics

Tuan

adilks    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 290
POSTED: 1/13/10 9:01 AM

The CUBU swim clinics at AU are also great. The next session starts on February 14th.

rcole's ravatar rcole    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 50
POSTED: 1/13/10 9:40 AM

I second the CUBU clinics. It's a little bit of a drive to AU, but on Sunday nights, it's not too bad. And, you can't beat the price - $75 for 6 weeks. Details are in the buzz section on the home page.

hmooney    JOINED: 9/30/09    POSTS: 77
POSTED: 1/13/10 4:24 PM

I'm doing the HIM Disney, 70.3, May 16. Not a Ford IM, not ready. Which are you referring to?

wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
POSTED: 1/13/10 4:42 PM

I'm one of the folks doing IMFL this year, my first IM. Swimming is my strength so I can help you with that. I've volunteered to do a couple official OWS clinics at Sandy Point. Additionally I'll be out there once a week for a long swim and can give you a few pointers then. All I ask in return is help on the evil bike.

Welcome to the club and see you out there training.

Tammy

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 1/13/10 7:20 PM

Tammy... THE EVIL BIKE????? That is funny.

Welcome to the club. Did IMFL last year, it is a good race. Really doable course. You will have a good time, and the support is AWESOME. Panama City really embraces this race. Good luck and Tammy is a REALLY good swimmer, so she can help you. Just stay away form her EVIL BIKE.

POSTED: 1/13/10 8:18 PM

@Tuan: Thanks for sharing the pics. I also found your race report--hilarious, but lots of good insight into the race.

@Tammy: I'll be on the lookout for your OWS swim clinics. And I'll be very glad to help you tame your EVIL BIKE. Are you swimming during the winter months now and willing to give friendly tips?

@trithis73: Thanks for the encouragement!

irishnd02's ravatar irishnd02    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 99
POSTED: 1/13/10 11:00 PM

Hi Tim,

There are definitely closer TI classes - I'm taking one now and there is another session which starts up the 2nd week in Feb. It's at OnPoint Fitness in Washington, DC - there may be other places as well. I'm doing the stroke development class right now & the small class size of 3-4 consists of experienced swimmers who want to work on efficiency. May be worth checking out!

Mimi

wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
POSTED: 1/14/10 9:56 AM

I am swimming several times a week, usually at XSport on King Street in Alexandria. I work from home and tend to go in the afternoon when the pool's not crowded. But I can meet you someplace else on a weekend and give you a few tips.

Re: the evil bike - I haven't fallen off it this year (yet). Maybe that will change when I attempt my first Conte's session Saturday morning . . .

POSTED: 1/14/10 1:38 PM

Hey Tammy--thanks for the offer!

Drop me a line: timkelley(at)timkelley(dot)net and let's coordinate.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria