Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Running etiquette/safety
CREATED: 03/20/09 by sandyc REPLIES: 8
sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
Running etiquette/safety
POSTED: 3/20/09 3:27 PM

I thought we could use a quick refresher on running etiquette (especially group running) and safety. As a runner, I always considered myself pretty good with the rules of the road, but when I started cycling last year, it definitely helped to make me an even more aware runner (now having seen things from the cyclist's view). Remember, runners and bikers have to share the road/trail. Please be aware and courteous for your safety and for the safety of those around you. Tri karma goes a long way! :::^)::

• Never run more than two abreast when you are with a group. You must leave room for someone to pass. Do not force other runners, pedestrians or cyclists off of the path. If you are in a particularly busy area, run single file.
  • Always stay to the right unless you are passing someone. Be very careful merging left into a passing lane. A cyclist, another runner or roller blader could be passing you and you don’t want to get run over from behind.
  • Always look both ways before entering or exiting a path, when you are approaching intersections and at drinking fountains.
  • Always stay to the right unless you are passing someone. Be very careful merging left into a passing lane. Let a person know if you are passing from behind - "On your left!" works well.
  • Never litter. If there are no trash cans, if you brought it in, you must bring it out (or I will personally come kick your butt! ::>^X::).
  • Be considerate of those around you and remember that others may be using the same path, trail or road that you are.
  • Always carry proper identification, including relevant medical information (name, blood type, allergic reactions, emergency contact with phone number). There are companies that make ID tags for this very purpose, such as Road ID (a DC Tri Merchant Partner - stay tuned for an update on the club discount).
  • Run in populated/familiar areas.
  • Run in daylight. If you must run at night, only venture into well-lit areas and wear brightly-colored or reflective clothes.
  • Obey all traffic laws and run facing traffic.
  • As your runs get longer and days get warmer, be sure that you are carrying enough hydration and nutrition.
  • Carry money in case you become ill or injured—enough to take a taxi or bus if available, or enough to make a phone call if needed. If you run in less-traveled or more remote areas, carry a cellular phone, but don’t rely on it as sometimes you may not have cell service in remote areas.
  • If you run with an iPod, make sure to keep the volume at a level so you can hear what's going on around you. If running at night, please consider leaving the iPod at home. DC is a pretty safe city and if you keep your eyes and ears open when out and about, you'll stay safe.
  • Maintain a general sense of self-awareness at all times. You may have the right of way, but if a cyclist or driver feels otherwise, the runner will always lose.

xena's ravatar xena    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 138
RE: Running etiquette/safety
POSTED: 3/20/09 3:51 PM

Carry your insurance card.

Make sure your emergency phone numbers/information are for people who have power of attorney. These are blood relatives, like your parents, or husbands and wives. Your boyfriend/ girlfriend/ hausfrau doesn't count.

Just like driving: left for fast/passing, right for slow/walking, stop off the trail.

Tell someone when you're leaving, where you're running, and when you'll be back.

Don't post your routes on your blog, etc. Especially if you're a female who runs alone.

ajulia's ravatar ajulia    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 145
POSTED: 3/20/09 4:33 PM

I'll second the need for a RoadID, especially on the ankle or shoe. I never thought I needed one because I always carry my drivers license and insurance card (and SmartTrip card... you never know...) but my doctor talked me into it when she said that if you are ever in an accident, the most accessible part of your body to paramedics is your feet! You can include whatever information you want. So label yourself well and run in good health.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 983
POSTED: 3/23/09 9:41 AM

I just wanted to add something that I thought would be common sense, but apparently isn't.

If you are riding (or even running) on a path and you have to stop or pause or take a break or a breather, that's cool but PLEASE move OFF of the path.

Also, if you are riding your bike on a path and have stopped and decide to turn around, please observe your surroundings before swinging your bike around. I have lost count of the number of times I've nearly been knocked off my bike or off my feet by a wheel coming at me as someone blindly swings their bike around.

Bryan

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 983
POSTED: 3/25/12 9:47 PM

Also want to bump this one up even though it has been great running weather for a while now. :::^)::

Bryan

Aheitman's ravatar Aheitman    JOINED: 9/16/09    POSTS: 22
POSTED: 3/28/12 1:07 PM

For those who run with music/earphones- especially when the paths get crazy on the weekend- make sure you can hear people around you. If your music is too loud to hear people, you are a liability to yourself and others.

-I also think you shouldn't run with earphones during these days at all, its more fun, but that's not etiquette just my old man kvetching.

conartist's ravatar conartist    JOINED: 1/31/12    POSTS: 54
POSTED: 3/28/12 10:09 PM

Dizam that's a lot of rules. Next they'll be telling me to 'wear a shirt' or 'don't pee on the side of the road', or 'don't slap the cute girls' butts as you pass'. Ridiculous if you ask me.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 3/29/12 9:36 AM

turn your head to look before you change directions so that you can be aware if you are cutting someone off.

and always wave or acknowledge other runners running the other way as a general courtesy, this is an old school thing. lol

hmooney    JOINED: 9/30/09    POSTS: 77
POSTED: 4/06/12 11:26 AM

Make EYE contact before making any kind of move! If you're in your car let the runner/biker know that you're aware of them by making EYE contact! DON"T wait until you force them to unclip and step off, because they don't know what you're going to do, BEFORE waving or signaling the person you're giving the right of way to.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria