Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

ibuprofen and athletic events
CREATED: 02/14/11 by vatriathlete REPLIES: 2
vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
ibuprofen and athletic events
POSTED: 2/14/11 1:22 PM

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-0214-painkillers-backfire-20110214,0,3419327.story

interesting story, as a side note "back in the day" a bunch of athletes in the know were using ibuprofen during IM racing if they were someone that was very fast.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1069
RE: ibuprofen and athletic events
POSTED: 2/14/11 1:26 PM

I haven't read the above story but have an anecdotal addition.

I ran JFK with a guy who has completed many Ultras. While we were running, I thought he was popping salt pills like I was but he was actually popping pain killers.

The next day he had to check in to the hospital for a 12-day stay with kidney failure. He was on kidney dialysis for a few months while the damage to his kidneys healed. He's doing well now but it taught me that I'm done with painkillers during competition.

kbhrx85    JOINED: 2/12/11    POSTS: 4
RE: ibuprofen and athletic events
POSTED: 2/14/11 6:20 PM

I agree! As an avid runner, marathoner, and a pharmacist, I would not recommend pain killers before or during race. There are times when certain pain killers are appropriate but not the way he did it. Low dose anti-inflammatory such as motrin or aleve after a long run and food is certainly acceptable but only once or twice.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria