Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Swim races
CREATED: 11/07/10 by kathryn REPLIES: 3
kathryn    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 16
Swim races
POSTED: 11/07/10 9:34 AM

Any recommendations for a 2-3mi open water race early next season? In the April-June timeframe. Just realized the Bay swim lottery closed on Wednesday. Thanks!

-kathryn

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 463
RE: Swim races
POSTED: 11/07/10 11:27 AM

Reston Masters hold a 1 and 2 mile lake swims over Labor Day weekend. Typically there is a good DC Tri contingent. Go to www.restonmasters.org for details.

sportsbrajen's ravatar sportsbrajen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 42
RE: Swim races
POSTED: 11/07/10 1:10 PM

There's also the Nanticoke River 3 mile swim on May 1, 2011.
http://www.nanticokeriverswimandtri.com/

seewhatucando's ravatar seewhatucando    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 117
RE: Swim races- Nanticoke
POSTED: 5/02/11 9:26 AM

When I asked a couple of months ago if anyone had ever done the Nanticoke River 3 Mile Swim I got no responses so maybe I was the first....I did it yesterday as a prep for the Bay Swim. My brief "race report" is only that it is a really, really hard swim. The river temp was 67 deg which was very comforatble in a full suit. I double capped my head as I did out in Coeur D'Alene and this water was more comfortable then that for sure. The course is a straight out along a jetty then around a 1.25 mile triangle twice then back in. You swim with the current on one side of the triangle but it didn't feel like any real "help." On the other two sides you were swimming into current for sure. It was one of those deals where you were swimming and swimming and felt like the bouy wasn't getting any closer. I love to swim and I am usually really calm while swimming but I actually got pissed off on the last side of the final lap. It felt like some kind of cruel joke. Also there are no constant bouy markers along the triangle like there usually are on an IM swim course so sighting and staying on track especially with the current was a real challenge. I was there with experienced open water swimmers who have done this race and the Bay Swim multiple times who all agreed that this three miles is harder than the Bay Swim and is "real" open water swimming with all of the challenges that sport presents. All agree that although it hard it is a very good training for the Bay Swim. There is also a Sprint Tri associated with the swim and I did see a few DC Tri jerseys so maybe they can chime in about how the tri was. I will say that for a small event they gave out lots of nice swag and not just a bag full of useless coupons..more than you get from a big IM race for sure.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria