Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

San Franciso advice
CREATED: 10/05/09 by dsgrunning REPLIES: 5
dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1287
San Francisco advice
POSTED: 10/05/09 9:11 PM

I'm going to be in SF on business next week. I plan to take my bike along. I will of course ask the hotel for advice but any first hand knowledge and places to avoid is greatly appreciated. I need help on the following info:

1. A place to swim that is close to the Moscone center. Is there a hotel or health club nearby with a good pool to swim in that will allow per visit payment ?

2. Any good bike cue sheets out there ? I won't have access to a car so it'll have to be rideable from the Moscone center. I'm trying to avoid hills as much as possible but with the SF the way it is, I'll take what I can get.

3. Any bike groups out there that does daily rides ? I'll be there from late Sunday until Friday.

Much thanks,
Tuan

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
RE: San Franciso advice
POSTED: 10/06/09 2:00 AM

Call me Tuan. I'll hook Vertical Swimmer up w/ some flat runs/rides. Also, I know a place or 2 where you can rent all carbon road bikes.

I see a lot of runs ride start at: Sports Basement
Swim with the fishes at the Aquatic Park

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1287
POSTED: 10/06/09 7:06 AM

Thanks Lisa. I'll call you later on tonight.

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 10/06/09 10:18 AM

Tuan,

I agree with Lisa that as long as you are out there and it's that convenient you should swim at Aquatic Park. You'll want your wetsuit even though you'll see lots of swimmers without.

If you can find a way to do it, I also used to do either a bike or a run after swimming but I could leave things in the car. You might be able to do a day use fee at the swim/rowing club that's right down at the park to use lockers/showers but I don't really know.

Have fun! I'm jealous.

rwadsworth's ravatar rwadsworth    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 32
POSTED: 10/06/09 5:32 PM

Tuan, I live in SF now! Shoot me an email at wadsworthr AT gmail DOT come. As for your requests, I suggest you check out the Golden Gate Tri club website, http://www.ggtc.org/Main/homePage.aspx. Midweek is a little sparse, but there is a regular Tuesday swim at AP that I usually attend. There are also cue sheets. Velogirls has great cue sheets as well.

As for no hills...forget it, if you want to ride anywhere other than Embarcadero 20x. The Great Highway is trafficky and windy, and not a fun ride (you might find this suggested in your quest for flat rides). Paradise Loop is a classic local ride, and as close to flat as you are going to get out here. I'd love to ride it with you, if you are interested. You might be able to get a mile or so of riding on flats out here, if you're lucky :). As for daily rides, good luck. I've been looking for that as well. Nothing like Conte's Tuesday night ride, that I've found so far. Bring a lot of options for clothing, as it can be cool, hot, and usually both within the span of few miles. The bridge is windy and cool almost always, and then it warms up across the bridge in Marin. You probably don't need full-finger gloves or anything, but def. arm/knee/leg warmers, a vest, a base layer under your jersey.

You definitely want a wetsuit to swim at aquatic park, which you can rent at Sports Basement, along with road bikes. They just got new bikes to rent, not too bad. I don't think they are carbon, but they're pretty good. I'd bring your neoprene hood, if you have it. I almost always swim with mine and am much happier with it on. It's been cold here, so be prepared! Just bring a towel and minimal possessions, stash them on the beach and you will be fine. Everyone does it. If I'm there, you can stick stuff in my car as well. Bring some warm things to change into (using the towel to do the time-honored discrete public stripping) after as it has been cold and windy in the evening lately. If you aren't man enough :) for aquatic park, there is a Y on the Embarcadero, $15 to drop in. I sometimes swim with other tri folk at the Presidio Y on M/Thursday, but that is not as close.

Running is awesome, and you must run across the bridge. It's pretty nice. Shoot me an email and we can figure out some workouts. Will be great to see a DC trier in my new town!

-Rachel

rwadsworth's ravatar rwadsworth    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 32
POSTED: 10/06/09 7:23 PM

Uhhhh...you might not need that wetsuit. Apparently there have been a lot of issues of swimmers being bitten and bumped at aquatic park recently (actual people I know this time), plus decreased water quality due to excess sea lion poo. Ick.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria