DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

DC Tri Hats?
CREATED: 08/17/09 by legalmoose REPLIES: 29
dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1270
RE: DC Tri Hats?
POSTED: 8/18/09 7:45 AM

Justin,

Ok ... if you are going to quote me then please don't take my quotes out of context. Here are what I said

"If I wanted to volunteer for a particular activity, the first thing that I would do is to check the forum. The second would be to contact one of the members of the board of directors or DCTri's president. If I do not get a response, I would post it on the web site with the title "How do I volunteer for x, y, z."

In other words if
1. You checked the forum for a volunteer activity that you want do do and it's not there then
2 "The second would be to contact one of the members of the board of directors or DCTri's president." Then
3. "If I do not get a response, I would post it on the web site with the title "How do I volunteer for x, y, z."

If you did 1 AND 2 and still didn't get the proper response and then you went and posted because you "did not know who to contact" then I appologized. Please don't skip #1 AND #2 then go to #3 and quote me on that. #3 is depedent on #1 and #2.

You are probably one of the top 5 folks within DCTri (outside of the board of directors) who have volunteered your time for activites. I know that you've volunteered for various things such as NTP mentorships, bricknics, practice tris and many many many more. You've been with DCTri longer than most of us. If you really wanted to volunteer for something, you know who to contact and how to do it without having to post on this forum and call people out. If you have a legit gripe about something and really wanted to see that gripe get addressed, you know more than anyone else on how to voice that gripe through the appropriate channel without coming on this board to call people out and claim ignorance. That is why I said that you were lazy and insincere.

You know how to do it but it seems from my end that you are more interested in calling people out than to actually doing it. That is why I said that you were lazy and insincere.

You know who Angela Dilks is and that she is the volunteeer coordinator and yet you "did not know who to contact" for a volunteer activity. That is why I said that you were lazy and insincere.

You know who Nicole Shue is and that she does the merchant partners stuff and yet you don't contact her directly to see what the problem is with the vendor stuff. You know who Joe Coyne and that he is the president of DCTri and yet you don't contact him directly to see what the problem is with the vendor stuff. That is why I said that you were lazy and insincere with the I don't know who to contact non-sense.

You are not a guy who just joined DCTri last month. You've been around this neck of the woods for quite a long time and yet you claim ignorance on the most basic of things. That is why I said that you were lazy and insincere.

Before you call me out on a quote ... quote me properly.

Like I said previously, coming on the board to complain about a legit gripe is perfectly acceptable and is the responsible thing to do as long as you have gone through the proper channel first. If the board of directors are not addressing the needs of the membership then they need to be called out for that ... but before we do that, we first have to pursue the proper the channel to see why the situation is the way it is. Maybe our vendors are the Norh Koreans and getting things from them at this moment in time has its quag mire.

Tuan

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 8/18/09 9:07 AM

Gear Volunteers- You all are doing a great job, with very little thanks. I thank you for the job, the hassles, the inconsiderate emails or posts you have to put up with, and for the way you get our stuff out to use as soon as humanly possbile. A job well done, and I for one appreciate it.

Chad's ravatar Chad    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 116
POSTED: 8/18/09 9:46 AM

Wow,
All I can say from my previous stint as VP and Prez of DC Tri is, the forum and email is the absolute WORST WAY to have a discussion over things like this...inflection is lost, words are taken out of context, meaning is mis-interpreted, on and on. It is like a health care reform town hall meeting with everyone yelling over each other only on a forum in written word...

The best way to have meaningful discussions and suggestions is to meet in person, be it at a happy hour, special meeting, open invitation to club members to come to a board meeting to discuss things like this, etc.

That is truly the only way (In my experience) to avoid the guaranteed down spiral of civility that has occurred time and time again on this forum and over email, even between board members.

I just have to say that this degradation is completely avoidable and utterly ridiculous at the same time. Having experienced it first hand it is one of the MAJOR reasons that I am no longer a member of the club and take little pride in having been previously associated with it. It drives people away and prevents individuals from volunteering their time back to the club and/or running for future boards.

I mean think about it, why is it so hard to fill board positions come elections? Just my opine here

I understand that everyone has an opinion and that sometimes it feels like the board makes decisions in a vaccum, but the truth is that the board is elected to make decisions on behalf of the membership. That is why they are there.

While not every decision or direction is practical to include membership on, some decisions DO require discussion and vetting with membership in an open forum, NOT a "Survey Monkey" type of feedback.

IMHO there is too much time wasted on trying balance the theoretical perception of what members think with moving forward with an initiative. That along with the degradation (FROM EVERYONE not just one person since it becomes a tit for tat) of discussions like this in a text based forum are the biggest hurdles the club has yet to overcome over the past 5 years, it really stymies the forward momentum of the club. :\

Just opinions here, take from my diatribe what you will...now I will go crawl back into my cave of DC Tri Hermitage...

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 8/18/09 10:23 AM

Maybe we could work things out the old-fashioned way... :::^b::

DC Tri throwdown - Asian style!

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 611
POSTED: 8/18/09 10:27 AM

Agree that in person is the best way to do things. A caution though...
Caution: If you go to HH, you will be in serious threat of being convinced to do sprint, olympic, half-ironman, and ironman distance races. This is not speculation and is a fact. Do not be surprised if you go to HH because it is nice outside and walk away signed up for Eagleman with Jeanne, IMFL with Sandy, Timberman with just about anyone, or ranged out to 2011 for an Ironman with a few folks brewing that idea. That is the one thing about doing things in person that you should be aware of. You could go to HH to settle things and wind up planning an IM together in 2010, forming a training group. HH is where bonds form, ideas gestate, races happen, transformation begins, and championships are won. You have been forewarned.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1655
POSTED: 8/18/09 10:31 AM

Men's sports bras for the Clydesdales?....

....Or could go seriously retro/old school with jock straps: And have Tuan wear one over his Speedo. :)

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 611
POSTED: 8/18/09 10:37 AM

Lord knows we need those Ed. Though I prefer the term "Bro"...
Maybe a siren that says "Fat guy coming through!" on bike downhills...

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1270
POSTED: 8/18/09 10:44 AM

Just a FYI: Word on the street is that after coming in 3rd in her age group, it is now virtually impossible to get to Jeanne without having to go through 3 layers of her handlers. I've heard the word "diva" used a couple of times.

chad0022's ravatar chad0022    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 305
POSTED: 8/18/09 12:09 PM

So the original post to this was about visors. I am not the gear person, but I am going to add my few thoughts.

Traditionally, we have our 2 gear orders a year. They are well advertized and organized by volunteers. We order, someone receives a shipment, that person mails out the stuff or brings it to HH to deliver.

We used to have dry fit t-shirts, visors, extra water bottles and stickers through a separate vendor. That was nice because you could order and it was sent to you directly. Unfortunately, that is no longer working and we are looking into other options.

The way I see it (and I am just talking about me) there are 2 big issues with ordering stuff.
1. Upfront payment. I have had some requests for stickers and magnets and would love to have them – but don’t want to pay upfront and hope I get reimbursed.
2. Storage. Stuff like stickers and magnets don’t take up a lot of room, but water bottles and hoodies do. Once you get past the up front payment, what do you do with the stuff?

As a temperate ‘fix’, we created a café press site to order regular t-shirts, hoodies, baby oneszies. Again, you could order what you wanted and it was shipped to you. The big con to this is it’s pretty limited on stuff (i.e. no visors, dry fit stuff, large magnets).

So – things are being looked into. Using our merchant partners and new gear vendors. Karen, Sandy, Nikki and I am sure others I don’t know about, have been working with new vendors who can provide more options and hopefully eliminating (my) 2 big issues above.

In full disclosure – this is my first year on the board and am proud to be a DC tri member. I think the forum is a great place to express your concerns about training, races, and items you would like to see happen for the club. Color choices in visors, track suits, magnets – all great ideas. I also know that people care – which is why at times the forum becomes heated. It may turn a few people off, and that’s unfortunate. There are a lot of knowledgeable people, and really good information on our forum – and hopefully all will continue to use the forum properly.

In person discussions are great and I know I have had many discussions with members at HH (and not just about doing IM Fla 2010 – I’m just sayin’), the training tri’s, CUA swims, HP morning Tue/Thur morning rides, brick-nics, and races. I learn more in those conversations than I do over the forum or the surveys, however sometimes in person isn’t always an option.

To sum up my way longer than I expected response – Hopefully we can get more visors soon.

Amanda

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1052
POSTED: 8/18/09 12:12 PM

Reminder: We're 5-time mid-Atlantic club champions! We should be celebrating this week.

I think at this point, we've pretty much worn out the back-and-forth issue of this thread. As a former club president who's still thrilled to be associated with this club and its members and ex-members, it's good to see so much passion amongst us.

However, I think at this point we know when we're being productive and when we're not. Just keep that in mind as you add on to this conversation. It's definitely hard to read eTone on a web forum, especially when we don't all know one another, and there's no need to let tensions rise on this topic.

Instead of arguing on the forum, hopefully on Thursday evening we can all get out from behind our computer screen and get behind a glass of delicious beer and raise a toast to all of the accomplishments of DC Tri and it's amazing members.

Travis
ntp@dctriclub.org

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria