Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

IMFL
CREATED: 11/05/12 by rabockma REPLIES: 8
rabockma's ravatar rabockma    JOINED: 4/19/12    POSTS: 12
IMFL
POSTED: 11/05/12 8:21 AM

I tried to get into IMFL yesterday, but no luck as it closed in less than a minute. Oh well I will try IMAZ, maybe better luck there. B2B if all else fails.

IRONMAN Florida Sells Out in Record Time
Event registration closes in less than a minute

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/ironman/florida.aspx#ixzz2BMDrCD00

Rick

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1293
RE: IMFL
POSTED: 11/05/12 9:09 AM

Was this your first attempt at signing up for a popular WTC 140.6 event? I'm only stating what I'm about to state so as to help you with IMAZ and other WTC 140.6 events that you may want to register for. Don't take what I'm about to say as a critique.

I'm not sure where you got the "less than a minute" quote from, but that's contrary to what the Ironman Facebook posting and folks on the slowtwich were reporting. I suspect you made some rookie mistakes when trying to register.

There were folks, as shown in the below URL, that got slots 7-8 minutes after registration was open. Ironman Florida's Facebook posting stated shortly after registration open that if people had issues registering that they should refresh their browser.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=4263983;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

I've done the race twice and it has always been like this for IMFL as well as other popular races that sold out within minutes. They get a lot of traffic all at once. It may be hard to get in or you get a message that may indicate that it has sold out when this has not been the case.

For future references, because IMAZ is another popular race that may sell out within minutes, below is what you should do to maximize your chances. Remember that just because you are in the registration page doesn't mean that you are "in." You are not "in" until you get a confirmation message that says you are in. That is why it's important to follow the below steps, especially when minutes and seconds count!

1. Fill all of the frivolous mandatory fields with a one character answer ... like "a." Even though it's a mandatory field, you don't need to tell them your human interest story as to why you are signing up for it. You don't need to tell them exactly what you do for a living. Just pick the first item in the picklist box. Things like those will just take up unnecessary precious minutes and seconds. Just type in "a" and move on. Everything on that registration page can be modified after you have been accepted. It's a rookie mistake to come in at noon and take 20 minutes to fill out that registration page with thoughtful answers and ending up not getting a slot after hitting the "submit" button. Heck, it's even a rookie mistake to come in at exactly noon.

2. Log into the active.com a few minutes before registration opens. This will give you an active session in active.com. It will speed up the registration process. It will also allow you to have time to resolve any connection issues.

3. Use multiple computers. One year I was on a laptop with a wireless connection and it kept giving me a "busy, try again" message when I tried to register. I had my sister on a different computer in my house, that was not wireless, and she was able to get in using my account info.

4. If you can't get in, keep hitting the refresh button

5. There will be times when you can log into active.com successfully, but the registration url will come back with a "busy" message. Copy the registration url that active.com gives you and cut and paste it into a different tab of the browser. Your session will still be active. This way, you are going directly into the registration page as opposed to via active.com then the registration page.

6. "Like" the Facebook page of the race that you are doing. If there are issues, they will post a message on there before anywhere else.

Good luck with IMAZ!

Tuan

POSTED: 11/05/12 9:13 AM

Edit to say: I know what the url that you provided said, but I would question the truthfullness of it, according to the first hand accounts on slowtwitch of folks who got in after 1 minute. Some of the Facebook postings also would indicate that it took longer than "less than 1 minute." There were more than one first hand account of being able to register past the 1 minute mark.

Perhaps the race is trying to drum up some PR.

POSTED: 11/05/12 10:39 AM

Thanks Tuan for your advise. This was my 1st time registering for an WTC event, so I did make some rookie mistakes.

But according to the New Active.com registration procedures (copy - posted below), which started with IMFL, once the max spots are entered, then spots would indicate on hold and those entered have 15 minutes to complete the regitraion form or the spots would become available again. So I really think that most got in in less than a minute then completed there registration form in the next 3, 5, 7 or whaterever (under 15) minutes. A few lucky individuals may have gotten in after 1 minute by hitting the refresh F5 button for those that didn't complete their registration form in 15 minutes and their spot was released back to the public.

But again thank you very much for your points, I printed them out and will use them in my attempt to get into IMAZ.

Lastly I suspect that traffic might have been heavier than usual due to the Kona Ironman telecast the week before this registration.

"New Active.com Registration Instructions:
• IMPORTANT! You must have a valid ACTIVE.com account in order to register for 2013 IRONMAN Arizona. Please go to www.active.com/myactive to create an ACTIVE.com account or to verify your username and password if you have an existing account. Please do this prior to on-line general entry opening at noon mountain time on November 19, 2012.
• Once on-line registration opens at noon mountain time on Monday, November 19, click ‘Register Now’ and log into your ACTIVE.com account.
• After you select your registration category for IRONMAN Arizona, your slot will be reserved for 15 minutes to allow you ample time to complete the form and process payment. After 15 minutes, if you have not completed the form and processed payment, your session will expire and your slot will be re-opened to the public.
• Once the permitted number of athletes for the event have entered the registration form, you may see a notification that registration is '(on hold)'. This means that all spots are being held by athletes who are in the process of filling out their forms. Registration is NOT yet sold out; if any of those athletes exit the form then slots may re-open. Please check back periodically or refresh the page.
• Once the allowed number of athletes for the event have processed online payment and all slots have been sold, then you will see an official notification that registration is '(sold out)'. At this point all currently available registrations are sold out and registration is closed."

Rick

POSTED: 11/05/12 10:56 AM

Rick,

That makes sense. That's good to know. I like the old system better where it was a free for all. It was all about who types in the letter "a" the fastest :)

I would tell you to log in and refresh way before noon. It's not about what your watch says. It's about what their clock says. Their clock may be faster or slower than yours.

denaindc's ravatar denaindc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 147
POSTED: 11/05/12 11:13 AM

There is also a non WTC full ES140 in Cape Charles, VA this september. 2013 is the Inaugural year.

POSTED: 11/05/12 12:53 PM

Thanks I'm sure ES140 will be a good one, but I need one in the Oct or Nov time frame because of my work schedule. As a CPA I won't be able start serious training for it until after 4/15th. And I think I need at least 6 months to get ready for my 1st IM.
Rick

tgrollman's ravatar tgrollman    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 225
POSTED: 11/06/12 11:19 AM

I am suprised it does not sell out before registration even opens up on-line. 30% of the people that raced this year signed up for next year on Friday, then on Sun morning the volunteers got their turns to register. The line of yellow shirts wrapped around the building and beyond for hours.

The volunteers I talked to said they were there just so they could register for next year. Crazy!

Tania

POSTED: 11/07/12 8:47 AM

Apparently there were not many openings available after that. I am sure IMAZ will be more of the same. I guess volunteering is the only sure way of getting into witgher IMFL or IMAZ.

Rick

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria