DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6   Next Page

Tuesday Night Track Workouts
CREATED: 01/13/10 by hppeabody REPLIES: 108
hppeabody's ravatar hppeabody    JOINED: 9/17/09    POSTS: 193
Tuesday Night Track Workouts
POSTED: 1/13/10 4:03 PM

Hi all,

A group of us get together for Track Workouts on Tuesday nights (followed by a dip in the hot tub and dinner at Whole Foods).

Workouts are designed beforehand and vary from week to week, but the current group of people in attendance are mostly training for distance events and just trying to improve Vo2 max, lactate threshold etc, so workouts are designed to do that. These days workouts are shorter, more intense, and involve only active recovery because otherwise we'd freeze to death out there.

I have a listserv where I post what the workout is for the week, send out reminders, and where you can RSVP to the workouts.

I'm very open to new ideas for workouts and you are welcome to come and just do your own thing, though no one has actually done this yet because most people who come actually like having the workout designed by someone else and generally appreciate me getting on their case about technique, etc.

If you are interested in learning more then just e-mail me at hillarypeabody (at) yahoo (dot) com.

Hillary :-)

PS: this is during the masters swim at wilson so if you are doing that instead, its not going to work with your schedule. sorry.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1047
RE: Tuesday Night Track Workouts
POSTED: 1/13/10 10:12 PM

This sounds awesome, but where are these workouts being held. Hopefully, they are being run at a track on the east side of DC.

My typical long interval workout for long distance training is:

1,600 m warm up and stretch

5-6 x 1,000m w/ a 200m jog in between the sets.

800m cool down jog

7 - 8,000m workout depending on the dedication.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 456
POSTED: 1/14/10 6:59 AM

Maybe in a month or two I will be ready to start back on the track. What is the location of the track?

Typically I recommend only 3K to 4K of total distance. The pace should gradually build up to your 5K pace - 16 seconds. Recovery between the intervals should be approximately equal to the interval duration. For example:

800m with 400m recovery
1600m with up to 800m recovery

It is important to have sufficient recovery.

Have fun!

POSTED: 1/14/10 8:04 AM

The workouts are at Wilson. Because anyone on the internet can read this stuff, I'd rather just give further details over e-mail.

I have a listserv for people that are interested and I can put you on it and then you can see what the workouts are each week, etc.

I plan them a couple of days before the workout. As far as what kinds of workouts we are doing- I try to vary it a lot per week- I tend to do vo2 max focused workouts more often than not which involve working at a high intensity with a lot of recovery time though this week we did a threshold workout (designed to improve your lactate threshold--in other words, prevent cramping that occurs as a result of lactic acid buildup)-- the intervals were at a lower intensity and we had much shorter recovery time.

We always do warmups, plyometrics and some static stretching, cool downs, and I have done core workouts after but I think we are holding off on that for now until its warmer bc no one wants to linger in the cold!

I'm going to start incorporating hill workouts in at some point instead of just the track.We are also going to relays one day just because that's fun. Also, when we are running for distance (rather than time) I record everything and post it so people can see their progress.

H

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 501
POSTED: 1/14/10 10:03 AM

Hillary, please add me! I have masters at 7 on Tuesdays but can alternate week by week...

What time do you guys normally meet?

RT

POSTED: 1/14/10 1:03 PM

Ryan,

I added you to the list- you should get the invite. The info is on the yahoo group :-)

H

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 3/10/10 2:10 PM

Very good workout and group last night. Thanks Coach P.

Edit: the workout is based on solid running science from Daniels and McMillan, which I liked.

POSTED: 3/10/10 3:04 PM

You are welcome, Simon! You totally rocked it...as did the 10 others that came! Amen for perfect outdoor workout weather..finally!!

postie    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 46
POSTED: 3/10/10 6:20 PM

please add me. fenton.rachel at gmail.com Thanks!

mwegener's ravatar mwegener    JOINED: 5/21/09    POSTS: 12
POSTED: 3/11/10 9:03 AM

Hey Hilary!

Can you add me to the list! Looking forward to joining you all! I emailed you as well...

Thanks!

Michelle

KingsPoint2001's ravatar KingsPoint2001    JOINED: 11/2/09    POSTS: 99
POSTED: 3/11/10 9:37 AM

Hillary -

Sent you an email to join. Looking forward to blocking Tuesday nights off. Where is wilson? Never been there.

Pete

gibsons    JOINED: 8/26/09    POSTS: 4
POSTED: 3/11/10 10:22 AM

Please add me as well! s.logan.gibson@gmail.com

20008    JOINED: 3/17/09    POSTS: 4
POSTED: 3/11/10 10:45 AM

Can you add me to the list, too?

Thanks,
Dina

flora    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 3/11/10 10:49 AM

Hi,
can you add me to your listserve too? I am at floraarabo @ hotmail . com

My work schedule is kind of crazy now but I'd be able to start joining the group in late april/early may.

thanks!

katrina99's ravatar katrina99    JOINED: 2/15/10    POSTS: 2
POSTED: 3/11/10 11:11 AM

I'm interested in getting on the listserv. have sent you an email with my information.

Thanks,

Katrina

stiefler    JOINED: 6/2/09    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 3/11/10 12:28 PM

Please add me. Stiefler at gmail.com. Thanks!

sarapolon    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 3/11/10 12:40 PM

hi there - please add me to the list too! sarapolon@gmail.com. what time are the workouts?

pgfde121's ravatar pgfde121    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 233
POSTED: 3/11/10 3:10 PM

Me 2, or 13 or whatever we're up to at this point...

firemanronb@Hotmail.com

Thanks!

POSTED: 3/11/10 3:16 PM

Wow, there are so many of you that love torture I see. Or maybe you just don't know any better since you haven't come to a workout yet. I've got over 60 people on this listserv already and so far have been bombarded by over 15 more requests today. Pretty awesome!

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1047
POSTED: 3/11/10 3:37 PM

Coach P, please add me to your listserv. Thanks! -Hugh

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria