Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Hair Dyes and pools
CREATED: 02/15/11 by rojojade REPLIES: 3
rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 363
Hair Dyes and pools
POSTED: 2/15/11 12:18 PM

Okay I know it's an oxymoran and ya'll now think that I'm vain. But can anyone give me some tips of saving my hair color with all the swimming that a training for a tri requires? I'm genetically proned for gray hair, and at 27, I'm already two thirds gray. So I while, it's a bit vain, I'm not ready to look older then my age. I can't be someone's Silver Bell yet.

I have a rubber swim cap that seems to keep my hair from being soaking wet - but does anyone have any suggestions for caps that will kee the chorline of my hair competely. Or maybe have a connection for some radioactive banned chinese hair dye that will keep the color longer?

seewhatucando's ravatar seewhatucando    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 116
RE: Hair Dyes and pools
POSTED: 2/15/11 2:17 PM

One of the best things you can do to protect your color is to get in the shower and soak your head with non-chlorinated water before you put your cap on. Hair like skin has pores and if you saturate it in the shower then throw your cap on, your hair will be too "full" to absorb pool water. Also, be sure to wash immediately when you get out. I just use my regular shampoo but there are chlorine removing shampoos out there. I have been using this technique on my colored hair and swimming 3-4 times a week for years without a problem. The side benefit is that by showering you also contribute to keeping the pool clean!

jeanaw    JOINED: 2/15/11    POSTS: 2
POSTED: 2/15/11 2:25 PM

I also color my hair. I started this a few weeks ago and love how it makes my hair feel. As soon as I put my swimsuit on I put conditioner on my dry hair then right before I go into the pool (about 5 minutes later) I slightly rinse out the conditioner so it is still there, but not slimy. Then I put on the swim cap. Of course, I shampoo and recondition as soon as I am done swimming. This has made a huge difference for me.

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 363
POSTED: 2/15/11 4:32 PM

Thanks for the tips!!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria