NTP Google Group
CREATED: 03/04/10 by PamS REPLIES: 15
PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 365
NTP Google Group
POSTED: 3/04/10 1:40 PM

Hey Guys,

I started a new google group for all of NTP. Here's the link to join

http://groups.google.com/group/dc-tri-club-ntp-2010

Let me know if you have any problems with it...this is my first google group so we'll see how this goes.

Pam

chloevdc's ravatar chloevdc    JOINED: 1/25/10    POSTS: 63
RE: NTP Google Group
POSTED: 3/09/10 9:59 AM

Bumping this up to make sure everyone sees it.

Thanks, Pam, for setting it up!

-Chloe

Nate's ravatar Nate    JOINED: 2/23/10    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 3/09/10 10:23 AM

Perhaps this can be put in the weekly NTP newsletter?

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1332
POSTED: 3/09/10 10:40 AM

There is a NTP section on this forum where everyone can post

There is a NTP only discussion forum where only NTPers can post

There is a NTP newsletter

There is this forum.

There is a NTP Facebook group

There is a DC NTP workout group thread/email thread

There is a VA NTP workout group thread/email thread

There is a NTP swim email group

There is a NTP bike email group

There is a NTP run group

And now there is a NTP Google thread.

It's just my opinion that everyone will be better served if everyone just stick to one central repository of info or eventually the message will get blurbed and no one will follow any threads since none can be deemed as reliable or "official." All threads will eventually become marginalized and few will follow any. As they often say ... the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

What will eventually happen is one of these groups/thread will say something and someone else will say but such such is says differently on the main DCTri forum or such and such is also doing what we are doing.

This forum is probably your best bet for a central repository of info. The more places that people have to go to check for info, the more info will be lost and all good intentions are doomed.

It's just an opinion that popped into my head during billable work hours ;)

Tuan

larryb's ravatar larryb    JOINED: 1/24/10    POSTS: 24
POSTED: 3/09/10 11:42 AM

navigation on the DC Tri forums is difficult. There are too many subcategories and not one place where you can pull up the most recent messages (at least this is what others have said, I haven't tried).

On the other hand, the most recent threads sidebar on the main page is sweet. I pretty much only navigate through that.

POSTED: 3/09/10 12:13 PM

I concur 100% that navigating the message board is difficult and 99% of the time I do what you do (i.e., only read the right side panel) but there are some people here who complained about not being able to get to info that is right on the MAIN PAGE under the "Buzz" section. There is a search function that most people don't use that can retrieve a lot of info that folks are looking for.

Below are three examples where workout threads are used effectively. There is nothing to say that the NTPers can't do this. This **may** be a better alternative than trying to decifer from 20 different email threads that are controlled by various people. The common demoninator in all of these email threads/groups is that every one of those folks visit the DCTri board ... not every one of those folks belong to all of those threads. If your goal is to get as many people to participate as possible then it's best to use one source and make that one source better instead of comming up with 20 other sources.

Once this google group ages out of the right panel, someone else will come along with a new group thread. See my previous post as examples of RIP NTP threads.

This page doesn't show all of the most recent activities but it does somewhat of a good job of showing recent activities.

Examples of effective usuage of workout threads. The threads may be inactive at the moment due to the cold weather but they will come alive once the warm weather is here for good.

35 Pages of activites

12 Pages of activites

9 Pages of activites

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 3/09/10 1:53 PM

I concur 100% that navigating the message board is difficult.

I'm also sick of doing this: <my username>@gmail.com>. When is the website going to link our username to the member's name, location, avatar, e-mail, and personal info?

rdejonck's ravatar rdejonck    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 84
POSTED: 3/09/10 2:26 PM

oooh! oooh! and RSS feeds, and removing the gratuitous use of flash, or the black text on the dark gray background (really, it is there... look at the far left side of the browser window) which uses an HTML layer which brings many a browser to a screeching halt!

Sorry, could not resist. .And, yes, I'd be willing to help make these things a reality.

And, as an FYI, you can see a more traditional forum listing for the NTP forum by following this link:
http://www.dctriclub.org/forum/forums.cfm?fid=815A44D3-A076-8E62-270BDC016BFCB102

trisha's ravatar trisha    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 133
POSTED: 3/09/10 5:29 PM

how did I not notice the black text on the sides before? it's a bit creepy (and likely full of subliminal messages).

but...back to the task at hand... letting the NTPers communicate however they want. They're likely not having trouble navigating the website, they're having trouble reaching their intended audience. which is to say reaching other NTPers rather than thread stealing busy-bodies such as ourselves!

If we can't provide a private forum and they want to self organize, more power to them. I wish we had done the same this early on last year.

POSTED: 3/09/10 6:04 PM

No one says not to let NTP communicate with one another in any matter that they wish. The issue is to find the most effective way for all of them to communicate with each other. Every few weeks another NTPer comes to the message board to form another email group ... eventually people will give up signing up for more email groups. This then negates any positive aspects of forming outside groups.

Perhaps the larger issue is for the NTP powers that be to come up with ONE email group at the beginning of the training season (i.e., NTP Google group 2010, 2011, 2012, etc) and direct them all to communicate that way ... then again I thought that was what the NTP only message board was all about and that was what the facebook group was all about.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 616
POSTED: 3/10/10 1:31 PM

My guess is that the black text on the sides is an old trick you use to get your website rated higher in search results. If you search for 'triathlon club' and 'dc', since we have it many times on our pages it gets into the search algorithms of google, etc., and that's why we come up first when someone searches (ie how most of us found the club in the first place). It's not creepiness, it's web dominance.

POSTED: 3/10/10 4:23 PM

We're trying to dominate the web circa 1995? surely you know Google doesn't work that way, old school.
But, I digress (apparently I'm bored at work today too), and Tuan and Simon, we can argue elsewhere! where there are beers.

POSTED: 3/10/10 4:31 PM

Guess I don't know. Thanks, "guy police", for setting me straight once again.

POSTED: 3/10/10 4:33 PM

Woman buys ... I called it :)

Tuan

POSTED: 3/10/10 5:00 PM

S, That wasn't nearly as rude in my head as it sounds upon rereading. If it makes it better, you're likely right.

T, you're on!

(in my defense, they've blocked gmail and facebook in my office and I need something to entertain me :)

POSTED: 3/10/10 10:07 PM

Trish I was trying to be tongue in cheek sorry. You've curbed my guy stuff enough times I thought the nickname stupid but funny (...he said 'guy stuff'...he..he).

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria