DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Advice on a Trek bike
CREATED: 03/04/10 by nopher REPLIES: 8
nopher    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 35
Advice on a Trek bike
POSTED: 3/04/10 3:00 PM

Hi,

I'm finally getting down to buying a proper road bike for some races this summer, including a HIM. I haven't looked much yet but found an all carbon Trek 4.5 Madone from 2009 that's priced at $1900.

I unfortunately am short on time (and patience) for searching around for the best deal and would appreciate any input from those who know more about good bikes/prices on whether or not this is a deal to pass or grab or neither.

Thanks,
Sophie

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
RE: Advice on a Trek bike
POSTED: 3/04/10 4:40 PM

If you found it in a bike shop that sells Trek's that is cool.
-Is it the right size for you?
-Is it what you want or are you so frustrated that you are settling?
-Is it a women specific design or regular design?

Also the new 2010 are 2099.00. So this person might be trying to unload the 2009 model. I am sure you can talk them down a little more. Just depends on what they are offering with the bike.

-free maintenance
- fitting

email me if you have some more questions

trithis73 (at) me (dot) com

Trek is a really good bike. I mean hell if Lance rides it, it's gotta be good.

POSTED: 3/04/10 5:00 PM

It's from Revolution Cycles. Seems to fit well based on a quick ride and trying out other Treks and it is woman specific. I haven't looked around much and actually I've only gone to this one store.

So I get free tune ups for a year and free fitting. I think they are trying to unload the model so I will try to talk down a little but not sure how much I can push. Apparently, to bring down the price for the 2010 versions, Trek got rid of some component features - I was told what they were but don't remember off the top of my head. It sounded logical.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1312
POSTED: 3/04/10 5:18 PM

1. Ask them about the DCTri discount. I'm not sure if they are a partner of ours yet but I know that there are folks within DCTri who are trying to get them on board.

2. Bike shop are usually stingy about the bike discounts but will give you money back in other ways (i.e., free/discount professional fit, deep discount on other stuff like pedals and clothing, locks, etc). It might do you some good to look around the shop and pick out items that you want and ask them to either throw it there for free or at a deeper than advertise discounts.

Tuan

tycottrill    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 100
POSTED: 3/05/10 10:01 AM

My advice: slow down, gather more information, and make an informed decision. You acknowledge that you haven't looked at many other bikes or any other shops, and don't really know what you want or need on a bike. A good deal is not a good deal if you hate the bike. Feel free to use this forum to ask for help in evaluating the information you receive.

Some observations from a long-time Trek rider:
Trek makes excellent bikes, but its technology and component focus is on the high-end Madones. You pay a Lance Armstrong/Made in the USA premium when you buy a Trek, so they are not always the best value. Trek often mixes component groups to reach price points (for example, using a mix of Ultegra/105 components when other manufacturers would use all Ultegra). Other bikes (Scott and Specialized come to mind, but there are probably others) may be better values in the entry-level carbon (approx. $2,000) market.

tdn9999's ravatar tdn9999    JOINED: 7/16/09    POSTS: 49
POSTED: 3/05/10 12:01 PM

Also the Bike Dr. in Waldorf. They are a Trek seller and dispite not being a DC Tri partner, they will give you a NICE discount + extras. As Ty said, visit a couple of shops and they'll usually get in to a bidding war if you like the bike & fit.

I got a couple of bikes from them, so if want more info on my experience

tdn_1998 (at) yahoo (dot) com

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 3/05/10 2:06 PM

You can definitely get good deals on previous year's models. I bought my Felt tri bike last year at 35% off the retail price. It was the 2008 model but the bike itself was new. This was at Bonzai Sports near Dunn Loring. You can browse through their sale offers online. They won't have a huge selection of the discounted deals but it's worth a look online.

You could also check out the websites of other area stores, although not all of them have prices for specific bikes on the websites. You should still go into the store and make sure the bike is the right size and fit for you, but an online search can help you narrow down the choices without taking too much time.

POSTED: 3/08/10 2:53 PM

I think I'll take a day or two to hop around from bike shop to bike shop and compare and contrast.

I needed to be told to slow down since I have some impulsive tendencies- so thanks tycottrill.

And will definitely use your tips on places to check out and then will come back if I have questions.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 3/08/10 4:28 PM

buying a bike is no different than buying a car.

there is a process and you have to shop around and work with some shops and such. there is no shortcut around that.

also just like buying a car, dont' always focus just on getting a bike as cheap as possible, if possible try to find a bike shop that you like the people there and looking to trust over time.

bikes are just like cars, unless you can do all the work on them yourself you will need someone else to do some of the maintanence on it over time, and "regulars" do get better treatment than others. meaning some shops always remember if you are one of two types of customers.

1. someone that is looking "only" for a cheap price
or
2. someone that is looking to develop a relationship with a bike shop.

something to consider.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria