Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Kinetic tips?
CREATED: 05/03/13 by tkopan REPLIES: 6
tkopan's ravatar tkopan    JOINED: 4/7/12    POSTS: 44
Kinetic tips?
POSTED: 5/03/13 9:11 AM

My very first half ironman (and first Lake Anna race) is about a week away! And I'm pretty excited.

Any Kinetic veterans out there have advice about the course? I have trouble getting a sense of how hilly it will be from the course map. Any other pro tips?

As an aside...I remember last spring I started coming to DC Tri events as I trained for my first tri (oly) and met a number of you (especially Khang) who had done the NTP-oly the year before and were doing half irons the year after. I definitely told all of you that you were crazy and I'd never be doing half irons in a year.

Fingers crossed that next weekend puts my foot squarely in my mouth (figuratively, of course). It's a testament to this club, I think.

wbdowntown's ravatar wbdowntown    JOINED: 3/28/12    POSTS: 82
RE: Kinetic tips?
POSTED: 5/03/13 9:39 AM

My first experience with Kinetic was last year. What a great race! The bike course was two loops last year, vice one long loop this year. Not having ridden the new loop, my impression from the cue sheet is it will be rolling, but managable. Definately not flat and fast, but not a climbing nightmare either. Just enough elevation change to keep everyone honest and mix things up for 56 miles. I'd be in a easy gear coming out of T1 up State Park Rd. You'll climb that hill three more times on the run course as well. It's just enough to zap the legs on the run.

See you out there, best of luck on your first half!
Wes

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 897
POSTED: 5/03/13 9:45 AM

Likewise I can't comment on the new bike course as I haven't ridden it yet. But from the profile it looks manageable with rolling hills and no really significant climbs. Definitely be in an easy gear when coming out of T1 as that hill will suck in a tough gear.

The run is fairly hilly. It's got two hills on it that you'll hit each of the three laps. They're not overly tough but after biking 56 miles, any hill on the run feels like a mountain. :)

Good luck on your first half. I'll see you out there.

Bryan

JHJ20012's ravatar JHJ20012    JOINED: 2/1/10    POSTS: 167
POSTED: 5/03/13 2:17 PM

My two cents is this - if you've got DC Tri gear - WEAR IT! There are so many DC Tri folks out at this event, racing and spectating, sometimes the perfect pick me up for getting up that hill (the third time!) is a chorus of "Go DC Tri!" And I would definitely concur that the run course is hilly.

I'll be out riding the course tomorrow as will many others, so I'm sure there will be more intel on the bike course soon enough.

Good luck and see you on race day!

Joyce

tkopan's ravatar tkopan    JOINED: 4/7/12    POSTS: 44
POSTED: 5/04/13 5:54 AM

Thanks all! Good advice.

JayC101's ravatar JayC101    JOINED: 2/27/11    POSTS: 103
POSTED: 5/07/13 2:50 PM

Did Kinetic last year and was out at Lake Anna this past weekend for Peasantman and got to ride the new course. Here is my advice.

First give yourself plenty of time to get out to Lake Anna, even if you are leaving the morning of the race give yourself extra time because there is construction on 95 that makes the commute even worse than usual and even early in the morning.

Swim - The water this past weekend was cold when you first got in but then it wasn't two bad and I was swimming with a sleeveless wetsuit and no swimcap on. If you can get in the water before the race starts to get used to the cold I would recommend that. This coming weekend it's supposed to be warmer than last but cloudy, so hopefully the water will be a little bit warmer and we won't have to worry about being blinded by the early morning sun. Bring tinted goggles if you have em just in case though.

Bike - The new bike course is very fast with nothing in the way of what I would consider any real monster hills. I would say there was maybe one hill you might have to get out of the saddle for depending how strong you are on hills which I believe was around mile 35. We rode the entire course and then some last weekend and were avg around a 21 mph pace. The roads where also fairly well maintained with some areas having been recently repaved.

Run - The run is probably the most challenging part of this race. Its a 3 loop course that takes you on a number of hills including a big one fairly close to the start, and because its a 3 loop course it means you have to take those hill on 3 times. There are also large stretches of the course which have little to no shade so the sun can beat down on you, but again it is supposed to be cloudy so hopefully that won't be much of a factor this year, but still have a good hydration plan in place.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 897
2013 Kinetic Half Race Report
POSTED: 5/15/13 2:19 PM

My Kinetic Half Race Report, in case anyone is incredibly bored at work and has nothing better to do. :::^p::

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria