DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Best areas for triathletes to live?
CREATED: 09/02/11 by piyushdabomb REPLIES: 4
piyushdabomb    JOINED: 5/10/10    POSTS: 84
Best areas for triathletes to live?
POSTED: 9/02/11 5:35 PM

Hey Everyone -

So I'm moving (long story) and part of my decision includes having the facilities (pool, track, trail) I need convenient to me rather than having to look too far.

What are a few areas to account for during my move? Any suggestions would be great.

I'm still looking, but I hope to find something in the next week.

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
RE: Best areas for triathletes to live?
POSTED: 9/03/11 12:13 PM

Where are you working? I think that's the #1 priority in the area. There are great neighborhoods with good pool/run/bike access in MD, VA, and DC. So choosing a decent commute is tops for me.

I live in the Woodley Park / Cleveland Park area, and love it. Short commute for me on the red line. Can jump on the bike and quickly get to Hains Point or Georgetown for DC Tri group rides. Quick access to some cool trail running in Rock Creek (I can run ~1.5 miles to get to the start of the DC Tri Sunday trail runs). It's 3 stops on the red line, or about 2.5 miles running to get to Wilson which has a great pool and track, so I'll do some nice run/swim/run bricks to get there and back occasionally.

It can be pricey, but when I was looking last I didn't find apartments to be any more expensive than other metro-accessible places along the Red (inside 495), Orange (from Capitol Hill all the way out to Ballston-ish), or green/yellow (from downtown up to Columbia Heights or so).

Slick    JOINED: 10/20/09    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 9/03/11 12:24 PM

I'm a big fan of living in the Southwest Waterfront neighborhood. It's a relatively quiet residential area, and I can walk out the door and start biking or running to any number of places: National Mall, Hains Point (less than a mile away), Tidal Basin (same), or over the 14th St Bridge to Mt. Vernon Trail (or proceed through West Potomac Park up to the C&O Canal, Capital Crescent Trail, or Rock Creek Trail).

During the summertime, the 50m outdoor pool at Hains Point is just over a mile away (running or biking). In cooler climates, there's an indoor pool at the neighborhood gym. (There's also the DC public indoor pool nearby at NC Ave SE.)

After living here for three years, I feel this neighborhood is one of the best for safety, accessibility, and affordability in DC. Plus, things keep improving: We have a new Safeway grocery store, several new restaurants that opened in the last six months, and oh yes, the $1.5 billion renovation of the SW Waterfront itself will start in a little over a year: http://www.swdcwaterfront.com/

laineym3's ravatar laineym3    JOINED: 7/2/10    POSTS: 123
POSTED: 9/03/11 2:20 PM

Don't forget about Maryland! Rockville, Bethesda, Gaithersburg (that's where I'm at), etc.

Since it's the 'burbs up here, there are lots of open roads and trails to ride and run, lots of pools, high school tracks... we got a few lakes up here too, so nice wooded trails to run! :)

Most of the DC Tri rides start in DC/VA and more often than not, wind up finding their way up in MD. The MD group just starts in MD and goes the opposite way :p

Good luck!
Elaine

jd28's ravatar jd28    JOINED: 2/16/10    POSTS: 8
POSTED: 9/05/11 1:03 PM

The most important consideration to me is to minimize your commute time. Most likely there is an area within 15-20 mintes from your work that is amenable to training.

I live near downtown Silver Spring and work beyond College Park. Masters swimming at University of Maryland is excellent, and I can bike there and then to work after a morning swim. On the weekends there are many group rides and runs that take place in Rock Creek Park, which I can either run or bike to. There are hills and a track in my neighborhood if I want to do a workout like that. Pacers Running store has runs during the week, leaving from the store. Montgomery County Roadrunners has multiple workouts during the week. Many options.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria