Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Weekly Thursday National Harbor Open Water Swims/HHs
CREATED: 05/26/11 by mosered REPLIES: 13
mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1786
Weekly Thursday National Harbor Open Water Swims/HHs
POSTED: 5/26/11 9:31 AM

Starts tonight:

http://www.feelthewater.com/Calendar_HappyHourSwims.html

"Join us every Thursday evening at 7:15pm to 8:15pm at National Harbor's South Pier to practice open water swimming and train for your next race.
Swim our 300 meter course in a protected area and join a coached practice to develop your swimming skills and speed. The swim will be kayak and lifeguard supported. These swims are USMS certified.

When: First Swim begins May 26 and every Thursday to September 23 - 18 weeks of fun open water swimming!
Time: 7:15pm to 8:15pm
Where: National Harbor South Pier at the Marina under the big tent.
Cost: $25 for each drop swim or buy a season pass for $259 until May 31, $279 after May 31 -- a 43% savings. Season pass holders will receive priority accommodation in sold out nights.
Happy Hour: Follows the swim at a local restaurant. Entertainment and speakers will be included with many of the swims. If your club is interested
in hosting a swim, please contact us.

NOTES:
This is not a learn to swim program. You must be certified to swim 750m non stop in the pool or 500m non stop in the open water. Certifications can be obtained at a WaveOne clinic or swim, or by your coach, or documented in a sanctioned race (triathlon or swimming competition). We will pull you
out if you are unqualified to swim the course, no questions asked, no negotiation. This is for your safety and the safety of other swimmers.

For more information or questions email denis@usopenwater.org".

jgselim's ravatar jgselim    JOINED: 1/11/11    POSTS: 39
RE: Weekly Thursday National Harbor Open Water Swims/HHs
POSTED: 5/26/11 11:12 AM

I'm signed up for tonight.

Anyone know how parking works for this? Do we just use the parking garages and walk down to the big tent or is there designated parking for this?

POSTED: 5/26/11 11:53 AM

I hear the garages, maybe $11, are cheaper than the parking lots. On street parking is about $3/hour. I live across the Wilson Bridge from the venue, and might bike over.

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 5/26/11 12:47 PM

I plan to contact Denis about hosting a swim for our club. Will keep everyone posted. How cool.

JHJ20012's ravatar JHJ20012    JOINED: 2/1/10    POSTS: 179
POSTED: 5/27/11 9:03 AM

Would love to hear how this went from anyone who attending last night. Sounds like such a great idea.

jgselim's ravatar jgselim    JOINED: 1/11/11    POSTS: 39
POSTED: 5/27/11 9:25 AM

It was excellent!

400m rectangular course set up right next to the marina marked with buoys. You could either swim laps around it or join in on assigned drills. Excellent support, several kayaks on hand.

They said water temp was in the low 70's last night, comfortable both with and without a wetsuit. About 20 swimmers. We were even able to use a shower facility afterwards, don't know if that'll be available every week, particularly if attendance increases. Would have to check with Denis about that. Maybe a dozen hung out afterwards for food at McLoone's. Wrapped it up around 10:15 or 10:30.

JHJ20012's ravatar JHJ20012    JOINED: 2/1/10    POSTS: 179
POSTED: 5/27/11 9:36 AM

Thanks! Sounds like something worth checking out.

POSTED: 5/27/11 9:55 AM

We were in good hands. Organizer Denis Crean is a former Tampa Bay 24-mile swim champ, and a bronze medalist in the 28-mile Manhattan Island circuit swim. And kayaker and course marshal Kurt Thiel, a former deep water survival instructor for the Navy, is the father of top AU swimmer Meghan Thiel.

It's a sweet venue on a warm night with the sun setting over the far Potomac shore. There's talk of providing lights for a night swim.

Couple of fotos:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/dctriclub http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=714070125

bdurman's ravatar bdurman    JOINED: 7/7/10    POSTS: 22
POSTED: 5/27/11 11:26 AM

When swimming here keep in mind the potential for impaired water quality, especially after heavy rains. I used to do WQ testing in this area and we routinely found elevated levels of bacteria that could potentially cause illness. Just something to keep in mind; I assume that WaveOne gets info on the WQ there...

HappyRunner's ravatar HappyRunner    JOINED: 1/15/11    POSTS: 205
POSTED: 5/30/11 10:58 AM

Is the WQ information available online anywhere?

HappyRunner's ravatar HappyRunner    JOINED: 1/15/11    POSTS: 205
Water Quality: Thursday National Harbor OWS
POSTED: 6/07/11 6:51 PM

I think Beth raises a good point. According to this Washington Post Article tests show that on average, the Potomac has unsafe levels of fecal bacteria ONE THIRD of the time.

My attempts to get a straight answer from Dennis or anyone else at Wave One went absolutely nowhere. My guess is that they aren't testing and have no idea of the specific water quality on a given Thursday night.

I love OWS, and I'm sure that many attend and don't get sick, but until there is reputable testing of the water quality each Thursday, I'm not going to risk getting sick and messing up my training plan.

bdurman's ravatar bdurman    JOINED: 7/7/10    POSTS: 22
POSTED: 6/09/11 11:56 AM

I have a contact that may be able to give me WQ testing results from National Harbor; I'll share the info if I get access!

RE: Weekly Thurs National Harbor OWS/HHs
POSTED: 6/10/11 6:49 AM

Maybe 65 folks on hand last night. An informal water test: my swim trunks were much cleaner afterwards than they'd been at the swim 2 weeks ago :). Also gargled Listerine after, as usually do after an OWS. Potomac refreshing after brutal heat of past 2 days. (Seemingly immune to the weather, however, was Beth D, spotted earlier on her bike blazing along the Mt Vernon Trail in 102 degree temps...)

RAFTRI's ravatar RAFTRI    JOINED: 12/22/10    POSTS: 27
POSTED: 6/10/11 1:28 PM

Having competed in lots of open water triathlons in the "lovely" waters of the UK, I can strongly recommend the favoured way to avoid stomach upsets on the other side of the pond.
As soon as possible after the swim or triathlon, drink a full can of regular Coca Cola, not diet, not Pepsi....red can Coke.
I was only ever ill once after an open water swim and that was a really grim swim on the east coast of England.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria