Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

IM St. George
CREATED: 05/05/12 by siehndel REPLIES: 7
siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1051
IM St. George
POSTED: 5/05/12 12:34 PM

I know Andy B. is racing today... Anyone else?

Sounds like rough conditions out there. Andy was out of the water in 1:10 and there are gusty winds on the bike according to ironman.com.

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 488
RE: IM St. George
POSTED: 5/05/12 1:21 PM

Ben Winterroth is racing, he qualified for Kona at St. George last year so I suspect he's shooting for a repeat!

RT

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 898
POSTED: 5/05/12 4:09 PM

Ben is out there destroying the course.

Also racing are Ryan Johnson and Dirk Smith.

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 5/06/12 12:27 AM

Ben had a phenomenal race out there today considering the conditions. Me, I was just trying to survive.

The swim conditions were laughably ridiculous today. 3ft erratic swells, horizontal spray, and white caps crashing over top of you. Of course, we had to swim in to this mess for the longest part of the swim course (1+ miles?). Swimmers everywhere, buoys torn from the moorings, and rescue kayaks capsized. I decided to focus on not drowning and getting to shore safely instead of actually racing the swim.

The bike was also crazy, with maybe 25 mph sustained headwinds and sidewinds, gusting to 40 mph as we climbed up for 20+ miles to Veyo. I was doing everything in my capacity to maintain 8-10mph on that stretch. I think I read the winds were blowing so hard that the men's winner was blown off the road and had to re-clip.

Luckily, the run was pretty tame in comparison with reasonable temps and low winds, although by then you were pretty smoked from the swim and bike.

The volunteers and scenery were fantastic though!

I now feel its a good call WTC has decided to do away with this race. Just too dangerous...for experienced and first-timers alike.

I guess this is my race report??? In that case, my final time was 12:51:51.

Congrats to all the finishers on a super tough day!
Andy

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 440
POSTED: 5/06/12 4:25 AM

Great job Andy, Ben, and all that toed the line yesterday! It looked crazy hard even for an Ironman.

RJohnson1979's ravatar RJohnson1979    JOINED: 9/13/09    POSTS: 81
POSTED: 5/06/12 8:16 AM

I totally agree with Andy's comments. Would add that on the bike a volunteer told me not to use some of the port-a-potties because they had been blown over by wind gusts.

So with all that I was just happy to finish.

An interesting article about the dangerous swim conditions yesterday morning

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/54053841-77/ironman-swim-george-hoffman.html.csp

Congrats everyone

Ryan

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1655
POSTED: 5/06/12 6:35 PM

Dave Venables' mini race report:

"IM St George completed - but's not even half the story! 5 mins into the swim a wicked wind kicked off 5 foot waves and about 200 people needing to be rescued. 1:30 of brutal swim conditions. Then cycling into the same wind with speeds dropping down as low as 5 mph before fantastic descent with a tail wind and touching 55 mph; approx 6 hrs total.then finishing off with a marathon slog for approx 4 hrs marathon. 11:44 total time, and some epic memories. If it wasn't tough then we wouldn't do it!"

ppannett's ravatar ppannett    JOINED: 3/8/11    POSTS: 22
POSTED: 5/07/12 9:25 AM

Congrats all, hardest race (maybe hardest thing) I ever did, working on the full race report, but a real credit to everyone who got in the water and Ben for crushing it. Dave hit it about the descents, they were epic, if you could stomach the crosswinds, and even though the run course was changed, flat it was not.
Patrick

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria