Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Patriot's Half Bike Course?
CREATED: 06/29/09 by wombat REPLIES: 8
wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
Patriot's Half Bike Course?
POSTED: 6/29/09 3:57 PM

Has anyone ridden the Patriot's Half course in Williamsburg? I looked at the course maps and went to maymyrun.com to map the course and elevation for upcoming training rides. But the mapmyrun course calculated the distance at nearly 65 miles, not 56 miles. Am I mapping it incorrectly? Are the course maps on the race website screwy? Are the race directors just trying to screw with racers and make them do a longer distance?

Sidenote - anyone want to go down to Williamsburg in late July and again in August for training rides/runs?

Tammy

xena's ravatar xena    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 138
RE: Patriot's Half Bike Course?
POSTED: 6/29/09 4:34 PM

You have to ignore the route info from 2007. Why they couldn't just make a new map, I don't know.

Anyways: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2960307

From transition:
Take Jamestown Road.
L on Greensprings.
L on Rte. 5/ John Tyler Highway.
R on Wilcox Neck.
L on The Glebe.
R on Ruthville.
L on Courthouse.
R on S. Lott Cary.
L on Adkins.
L on Rte. 5/ John Tyler Highway.
R on Greensprings.
R on Jamestown.

POSTED: 6/29/09 5:13 PM

Thank you!

sacha204's ravatar sacha204    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 24
POSTED: 6/30/09 10:04 AM

Hey~
I am not doing Patriot's but my Half is that weekend too. So, I would definitely be up for a training ride or two.

Sacha

POSTED: 6/30/09 10:33 AM

No problem. My parents have been bugging me to visit anyways, so I'll probably go down the weekend of July 24th?

FYI At least some of the run course and probably some of the bike course is on "exposed aggregate road".
Think like concrete where all the pebbles aren't mashed in.

I had to get my wheels re-trued after riding Yorktown. So bring whatever wheels you plan on racing with so you know how they'll handle. It's almost like riding on chip-sealed road.

Personally I'd go with bike shorts for sure, not tri shorts.

And cushy running shoes vs. racing flats.

POSTED: 6/30/09 10:59 AM

Thanks for the tips! This will be my first half-attempt, and being a swimmer I naturally have little to no coordination on land. I am guessing the bike course will take me 4 hours to complete and the run 3 hours. I am slow.

The weekend of July 24 (or any other weekend) works for me. Let me know if you want to carpool down to Williamsburg.

Tammy_L_Farmer@hotmail.com

POSTED: 6/30/09 11:42 AM

July 25th there's a run/ swim duathlon if anyone wants the full tri training experience.

Because it's not a fun weekend without a jellyfish sting.

http://www.active.com/page/Event_Details.htm?event_id=1748221&assetId=a5d63dc8-9912-4b3f-a425-9e1f150fced9

POSTED: 7/01/09 11:46 AM

The race looks like fun, but after doing the Bay Swim in June and the Swim for Life on July 11, I should back off the swimming and focus on getting some strength in my chicken legs. I need to bike and run the Patriot's course to see just how painful it is and to shock myself into buckling down and getting serious about my land training.

I also looked at my calendar and realized I have theater tickets for Friday, July 24. Are you doing the race? If so, I presume you are going down Friday night and I can meet you after the race on Saturday morning? Maybe even get there early enough to cheer you on?

POSTED: 7/20/09 12:59 PM

Xena,

Are you going to Williamsburg this weekend? I'd like to go down Saturday or Sunday to preview the Patriot's Half course. Ride the bike course, and ride or drive the run course.

Tammy

Tammy_L_Farmer@Hotmail.com

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria