Back in Wellington. Very sore after my racing adventures in beautiful Taupo but absolutely happy. My bike and wetsuit go into storage today, and now is time to head back south to hike the hell out of this country. On the schedule: Heaphy Track, Routeburn Track, and Rakiura Track.
Well, we did it!!!! Dominated absolutely everything, winning all seven of the awards for grabs; including the coveted overall title with a record-breaking mileage. Congratulations to all 150 of you.
Final results for all 3 sessions and the overall are posted at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgcT1aGyVCiPdFJFS0lENXlUT1RBMUdITlc4UmFtdFE
Please double check in case you see any discrepancies that would affect the standings. (Note: Small rounding errors are possible.)
Now, let’s see about those questions I asked at the beginning of the competition:
• Who will enter more miles Brady or Erin? The battle of the sexes goes to the girls. Erin logged 1,970.7 to Brady’s 1,585.3. This makes the series tied. (Brady won in Columbia, MD in October). Tiebreaker will be a little 140.6 in Lake Placid.
• Can anyone catch Elliott and Hilary? Nope. These two keep dominating the NCC. Good on you, mates!
• Will Joe Coyne and Christopher Ryan swim in the off season? They did!
• Will Steph Ewert win the ‘Steph Ewert Award’ again this year? Steph swam a little over 120 miles (unweighted miles) but the title goes to Deborah Gayle with over 160 miles. Katie Palavecino was a close second.
• Has anyone seen Kevin D'Amanda not running? Kevin is still running like crazy but it was Andy Sovonick (of Gaithersburg) who dominated the run with just over 2,300 weighted miles.
• Will HTFU award winner Claudia Blackburn continue to show the kids who it’s done? As predicted, hellz yeahz! Claudia finished 8th within 150 of the Club’s participants.
Special Awards for athletes with over 1,000 miles that also fall into one of our special categories.
• The 'Real Triathlete' Award: Andrew Howard and Jason Brez consistently swam, biked, and ran. The mileage in all three sports was within 6% of each other.
• Duathlon Award: Ben Lookner who logged very impressive total mileage with none of those coming from swimming. Who needs triathlon when a duathlon is just fine, right?
• I'm a runner, OK award: Andy Sovonick and Audrey Perlowwho logged almost all their miles from running.
• Aquavelos: with less than 10% of her miles from running Maureen Williams wins the honors for the second year in a row
As soon as USAT contacts me about prizes the board will do the raffle and we will announce the winners. I have no time estimate for this other than the original mid-March given my USAT a few weeks ago. But knowing USAT I wouldn’t hold my breath.
Beat the Board
The Board averaged 1,505 miles. As a reminder, any participant in the NCC that beat the average of the Board will receive a 30% one-time discount coupon to renew their membership. Note: if you beat them you will need to renew by no later than 1 month after NCC is finished (so by 3/31/13). There were 66 participants that beat the board. We will email you directly for the instruction to renew.
The off-season is over and now it’s time to seriously think about the on-season. And what better way to keep the winning momentum going than the 2013 Mid-Atlantic Club Championship? Race day is Sat, June 8 in Jamestown, VA. All you need to know is here http://www.dctriclub.org/forum/messages.cfm?tid=EBFBF099-936B-1499-205FA28FBC3BBDD4
Alejandro (see you for the 2013-2014 NCC)
One more thing, if you DID NOT participate in this year's NCC and want to be part of the 2013-2014 competition send an email to DCTriNCC@gmail.com with:
• Full name
• USAT number (you must be a current member)
• email address you want used for registration and correspondence
I will include you to the list and will be in touch in November.
Great job motivating us from afar, Alejandro! We've definitely set the bar high for next year.
Yes - thanks to the newly adopted Kiwi for getting us up and going this winter - I'll miss the competition -
Alejandro--you rocked it as our coach. I was determined not to let the Board average slip... Thanks for the great updates and motivation! Just so we are clear... my name goes in the raffle. Especially for that computrainer!! I never win anything, so maybe this is my chance.