Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next Page

FREE bike shipping to ITU San Diego race -- who's in?
CREATED: 12/11/11 by markhakd REPLIES: 124
markhakd's ravatar markhakd    JOINED: 10/8/09    POSTS: 223
FREE bike shipping to ITU San Diego race -- who's in?
POSTED: 12/11/11 4:29 PM

At the annual meeting yesterday, the CEO of USA Triathlon (Rob Urbach) was the guest speaker. He gave a presentation about USAT in 2012, and ended his presentation with the following challenge:

If 30 DC Tri Club members (who are also USAT members) register for the ITU race in San Diego by December 31st, EVERYONE from DC Tri who ends up racing San Diego will get FREE bike shipping to that race.

We are trying to get something in writing from USAT and obtain more details about how this would work. In the meantime, it would fantastic if everyone who is interested in this deal (AND would be willing to register by 12/31) would reply below, so that we can get a count. Once the details are confirmed, we would put out a call for all of those folks to register.

Please also let us know what questions you have so that we can get those answered. Also, if you have already registered for the race, please post that below!

More information about the race:

WHAT: The International Triathlon Union (ITU) World Triathlon Series welcomes San Diego, the birthplace of the modern triathlon, to the top worldwide triathlon event series in Spring 2012. San Diego joins eight iconic international cities to host the most prestigious Olympic-distance triathlon in North America.

WHERE: Mission Bay, San Diego (along the boardwalk and beach)

WHEN: May 11-12, 2012

WHO: Approximately 150 Elite triathletes competing within the ITU World Triathlon Series as well as an additional 3,000 amateur age-group athletes striving to show their best in swim, bike and run in front of 50,000 spectators.

Two videos about the race: http://sandiego.triathlon.org/
Virtual tour of the course: http://sandiego.triathlon.org/news/article/san_diego_age_group_course_tour_video/
Registration and schedule: http://sandiego.triathlon.org/age-group_registration/

This promises to be a really exciting race, not only because we would be competing on the same course as the elites, but because you will get a chance to watch the elites race in their final qualifier for the men's and women's US olympic teams!

So... who's in?? I'll put myself on the list!

Kevin

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 367
RE: FREE bike shipping to ITU San Diego race -- who's in?
POSTED: 12/11/11 4:41 PM

Any news yet on whether or not this is the USAT Club Championships!?!

POSTED: 12/11/11 4:44 PM

I think we should assume that it is not the site of the 2012 Club Championships unless we hear otherwise, though we will certainly ask.

POSTED: 12/11/11 4:57 PM

OK... that's what I was assuming. But if you have a contact at the USAT, I would def ask them. They originally posted on their website that this race would be the Club Championships... then they revised their decision. The free bike shipping offer sounds like something they would try to do to get top teams out to Club Nats!

In any event, I really want to go... I just need to check my schedule to see if I can make it happen!

-Luke

HolliMarie's ravatar HolliMarie    JOINED: 6/21/11    POSTS: 200
POSTED: 12/11/11 8:27 PM

I am very interested but also need to confirm dates of some other things first, like graduation.

Holli

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 364
POSTED: 12/11/11 8:59 PM

I would love to do a race out in my home state ... I will have to check a few things on my schedule as well. But I know Papa and Mama Myung would be willing to stock the recovery tent with homemade goodies if I can make it out.

pserfass's ravatar pserfass    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 439
POSTED: 12/11/11 10:19 PM

Very interested. The ITU race in DC was awesome.

ksdecker44    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 47
POSTED: 12/11/11 11:38 PM

very interested Kev! keep me posted on details!

jameswilson's ravatar jameswilson    JOINED: 4/11/10    POSTS: 92
POSTED: 12/12/11 8:50 AM

Are not the ITU races draft legal? Are the age group races draft legal as well?

pserfass's ravatar pserfass    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 439
POSTED: 12/12/11 9:08 AM

Although there are a couple age-group races that are draft legal--I think race organizers are experimenting with whether draft-leagal amateur racing can actually be done safely or not--I'm 95% sure that the ITU age group race will not be draft legal. The one in DC wasn't and it would be a huge liability for USAT.

mmerson's ravatar mmerson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 67
POSTED: 12/12/11 2:46 PM

The elite race which will be our US Olympic Trials, will be a draft legal race. The age group sprint and Olympic distance races will be under usual USAT age group (non-drafting) rules. I have worked myself insane the past two years to bring an ITU race back to the US. Any questions you have, please let me know. I have signed up for the Oly race. The free bike transport is worth about $400, I understand. I did not know that they removed the club championship designation from the race and will ask about it. As a USAT board member, I ought to know these things. Urbach referred to it as the World Club Championship, which was interesting. Only ITU has the ability to give out that designation so I will inquire more about it.

Folks, this race is going to be amazing. It will be the Olympic trials not just for us, but for many other countries as well. It will be on live television in many countries. My marketing concept all along has been for San Diego 30/40. Next year is the 30th anniversary of USA Triathlon. This is our party and we also will be having the USAT Hall of Fame Induction Dinner and other events as well. I'm hoping the post-race party will be a typical California beach party as the elite race finishes in Mission Beach on the beach by the amusement park (roller coaster, wave park, it's awesome!).

If we are successful -- and we WILL BE! -- my hope is for the U.S. to bid on age group world championships in 2014, three years into the event. If we succeed at that, we will invite the entire world to San Diego for the 40th anniversary of the FIRST EVER triathlon in Mission Beach. Imagine all the thousands of age groupers from around the world partying with us on a course that we expect will overlap at least in part that very original course. It gives me goose bumps.
Plan your vacation for San Diego next May. Buy your plane tickets and come out for the party. We only need 30 people to get FREE bike transport so please let's get the roll call started.

There will never be a better chance for DC Tri to go head to head with the San Diego Tri Club and the LA Tri Club so let's show 'em what we're made of! Who is in ???

POSTED: 12/12/11 3:52 PM

Melissa... you make a pretty persuading argument! This race sounds awesome! Count me in! We had huge turnouts at Richmond and Myrtle Beach this year... let's get to 30 people and take over San Diego!

-Luke

POSTED: 12/12/11 4:56 PM

It should also be pointed out that you save $15 on the olympic and $10 on the sprint by signing up by Dec 31!

-Luke

POSTED: 12/13/11 8:20 PM

Just announced: "The 2012 USA Triathlon Club National Championship will be held in conjunction with Long Course Nationals at the Sept. 22, 2012, Redman Triathlon in Oklahoma City, Okla. Registration is now open at redmantriathlon.com."

More information here: http://www.usatriathlon.org/news/articles/2011/12/121211-national-events.aspx

kimpy421    JOINED: 3/18/10    POSTS: 11
POSTED: 12/14/11 10:05 AM

i would definitely be interested in signing up and utilizing the bike shipping.

miataj's ravatar miataj    JOINED: 3/5/11    POSTS: 65
POSTED: 12/14/11 11:13 AM

I'm in! Just registered!

carrollea's ravatar carrollea    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 27
RE: FREE bike shipping to ITU San Diego
POSTED: 12/14/11 11:30 AM

I am very interested - I have a free plane ticket from Southwest and was thinking about using it for the Age Group Duathlon Nationals in Tucson in April, 28, but this sounds like more fun - especially if we can get free bike shipping!

Liz

P.S. BTW, just in case the bike shipping thing falls through (which hopefully it won't), it's only $50 to fly a bike case (each way) on Southwest, and your other suitcase and carryon are free.

kst718's ravatar kst718    JOINED: 8/29/11    POSTS: 95
POSTED: 12/14/11 11:42 AM

You've convinced me! Not sure yet which distance I'll do. How hilly is it?

POSTED: 12/14/11 12:13 PM

Doesn't look bad at all in terms of hills on the bike, and the run course looks really flat:

http://sandiego.triathlon.org/news/article/san_diego_age_group_course_tour_video/

kristoferkitto's ravatar kristoferkitto    JOINED: 1/24/10    POSTS: 59
POSTED: 12/14/11 12:28 PM

I'm interested!

Kris

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria