Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

tracks open to public in NW?
CREATED: 08/18/09 by kvb0805 REPLIES: 11
kvb0805    JOINED: 5/18/09    POSTS: 13
tracks open to public in NW?
POSTED: 8/18/09 4:52 PM

i've seen a bunch of different postings about area tracks open to the public in DC...but does anyone know of any that are within a mile or two of the mall? I know of the wilson high one in tenleytown, but i live downtown and would love something i could jog to for a warmup.

-kate

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
RE: tracks open to public in NW?
POSTED: 8/18/09 4:57 PM

I wish we could get a list of available tracks in DC and their hours.

NOt much here in NE. Heard that GAlludet is open to the public. (that is not meant to be a pun).

Lisa
http://www.examiner.com/x-19867-DC-Sports-Travel-Examiner?showbio

drvaughan's ravatar drvaughan    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 13
POSTED: 8/18/09 9:56 PM

Cordozo H.S. on 13th between Florida and Clifton sts. is open and is in great shape. Depending on where you are in NW should only take 5-10 min to run there. Hope this helps.

HillOE's ravatar HillOE    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 78
POSTED: 8/19/09 9:32 AM

Theo. Roosevelt (13th and Upsur and Coolidge HS on 5th (next door to Takoma pool) both have new tracks and lighting and are open to the public. I've run from Roosevelt down into the city many times (it's about 4 miles...maybe 5 from the mall and there's the 14th st. "hill"). Coolidge you can metro to on the red line and then also get a swim in. Just sayin'

kvb0805    JOINED: 5/18/09    POSTS: 13
POSTED: 8/19/09 9:46 AM

thanks for the suggestions! Cordozo is about 2 miles away so that might be the best option. anyone know if the track at dunbar high school is open to public?

urbanlumberjack's ravatar urbanlumberjack    JOINED: 3/25/09    POSTS: 143
POSTED: 8/19/09 11:12 AM

Cardozo isn't always open, but I heard that Banneker High School has a public track, and thats just two blocks away. Never been though, and from google maps it looks to be oddly shaped. Anyone ever ran there?

Cloudyindc    JOINED: 6/12/09    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 8/19/09 12:36 PM

the Banneker track goes around a baseball field/diamond -- probably reason for odd shape. it is open year round. A few blocks from that is the howard university field/track. I usually see people running in there too.

bobf's ravatar bobf    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 8/19/09 3:29 PM

I frequently run at the Banneker track and it's always open. Despite appearing in an odd shape on google earth it's a standard 400 track with about 4 lanes. Typically in the early evening there are just a couple of people using the track and on occasion you get to watch a baseball game as you run.

dctexan's ravatar dctexan    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 8/25/09 12:45 PM

I just called the main number for Eastern High School (near RFK) and a lady said their track is not open to the public. It's a shame. I rode by there a few weeks ago and it's a very nice new(er) track and close to home. They were doing construction in the area and the gates were wide open. She gave me the name and number for the business manager at the school who handles that sort of thing and maybe I'll call and lay some thick charm down. If that doesn't work, we could petition?

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 8/25/09 1:19 PM

Hains Point is also marked on the road, with the first mile including quarters and all miles thereafter with half mile increments up to 3. Mile '0' starts at the crosswalk paint just after the 14th street overpass...can't miss it.

SeanG's ravatar SeanG    JOINED: 4/8/09    POSTS: 160
POSTED: 8/25/09 1:33 PM

Wilson High School, near the Tenleytown metro (and home to a sweet new 50meter pool) has a nice track open to the public.

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 8/25/09 1:44 PM

Eastern High--the kids get high in front of the high school, yet Eastern HIGH insists on locking the track. Makes no sense. But, mj makes you lazy. Btw, those Eastern High kids smoke a lot of pot in front of the high school. Michelle Ree would be proud!

I digress. Neal: I'd be up to starting a petition to Eastern High's athletic director, principal, city council, etc. It's a damn shame to lock out taxpayers from the track.

In NE, Kenilworth has a nice track and 25 yd pool. Catholic U has a track but do not go on Trinity's track. Carroll High probably doesn't care, either.

In NW, I think G'town Day School or Intl School near Gtown Hospital has a 320-yd track for the kiddies.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria