Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Donating Text Books
CREATED: 12/28/10 by dsgrunning REPLIES: 5
dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1331
Donating Text Books
POSTED: 12/28/10 9:39 PM

I've got about 20-30 books with exciting titles like "Mechanics of Materials," "Fundamentals of Classical Thermodynamics," "Fluid Mechanics," etc. There are also a bunch of books on how to find the perfect mate for life with titles like "Logic for the Computer Scientists" and "Discrete Mathematics."

Does anyone know of any organizations in the area that would take these books and put them to some good use other than the landfill?

I know that there is the library but I wanted to see if there were any organizations that would send these overseas to poorer countries. If they accept old shoes, surely there are some uses for books? A good way to learn how to read English and build a bridge to nowhere at the same time?

Tuan

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1064
RE: Donating Text Books
POSTED: 12/28/10 11:59 PM

T-man, there is a place in DC called Books for America. I read that they even have 'how to swim books' so you might be in luck. Maybe we can convince our race director to hold a club event where the entry fee is a used book.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 462
POSTED: 12/29/10 6:36 AM

I have many the same books... well the engineer related ones: "Mechanics of Materials," "Fundamentals of Classical Thermodynamics," "Fluid Mechanics."

Hugh, I'll gladly trade them for swim lessons! :)

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1331
POSTED: 12/29/10 7:41 AM

I've received a bunch of offline emails from folks with a bunch of great ideas so far. Thanks everyone!

Hugh, you should definitely do a book drive as part of a DCTri training event. I might do the same with PeasantMan this year. There are a lot of people in the club who would like to unload some books.

Kevin, we are not alone. There are many in the club who own the same books that we own. They feel comfortable enough to email me offline but not comfortable enough to out themselves publicly. I yearn for a day when our kind take over the White House and control the CIA to prove to society that we are humans just like everyone else. People who own riveting book titles such as "Linear Second Order Differential Equations" and "Second Law of Thermodynamics" should be praised not mocked! People who live in glass houses should not judge!

I know, I know ... I shouldn't stop taking my pills.

As you were,
Tuan

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 528
POSTED: 1/02/11 12:45 AM

I'm not an engineer although I started out college thinking I might become a scientist. (That idea lasted for about 6 weeks.) Anyway, although our current president is not an engineer, I do know that he is a Trekkie. Or Trekker, or whatever the politically correct term is these days. Doesn't that earn him some geek points?

I don't know about the CIA director though.

berlz13's ravatar berlz13    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 38
POSTED: 1/02/11 10:45 PM

Thanks for the info for all Hugh. I know in Alexandria (and probably other cities) you can also recycle them! Ryan has a bunch of exciting titles like that too, maybe you can help persuade him to get rid of them as well!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria