Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Volunteering at Eagleman 70.3
CREATED: 05/11/09 by bcfrank REPLIES: 13
bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 952
Volunteering at Eagleman 70.3
POSTED: 5/11/09 11:52 AM

I got the following message yesterday from the event/volunteer coordinator at Eagleman 70.3 that they could use more volunteers for the race (which is only a 4 weeks away for those of you racing in it!). So if you're up for volunteering, let him know or just sign up on the TriColumbia website http://www.tricolumbia.org/volunteer.php for Eagleman.

----Message----
Gerry Boyle <gerry-boyle@comcast.net>

It is only 4 weeks to Race Day (Sunday 14th June) and we have been getting amazing support as always for this year’s race. As always though, I could do with more help in some specific areas. Please forgive me if this is repetitive but if you know someone that could fill some of these slots, please let me know. Forward this to friends and relatives!

HOMESTAY I have about 8 professionals for whom I am still trying to find beds for. Anyone willing to host for a couple of nights should let me know. This has been a great program over the years and I know other hosts have enjoyed the experience.

REGISTRATION We need extra help on the Friday afternoon and all day Saturday at Sailwinds Park for registration. We will be doing this in shifts so that it is not too taxing for everyone.

TRANSITION AREA On race day at Great Marsh Park (GMP), we have a fenced area with limited access for competitors where they transition from swim to bike and bike to run. We could really use help in here. If someone wants to be “up close and personal” with the athletes, this is the place!

JUNCTION MARSHALS At a couple of junctions on the Bike Course, I could do with a few volunteers to help ensure that the cyclists are heading in the correct direction! We have Police and Sheriff’s to direct traffic and I try and supplement them with some volunteers.

Volunteers can be individuals, families or groups. Please have anyone that is interested contact me ASP.

Thanks again

Gerry

Gerry Boyle
Local Event Coordinator
Eagleman Ironman 70.3
443-786-0059
----End Message----

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1293
RE: Volunteering at Eagleman 70.3
POSTED: 5/11/09 12:39 PM

DCTri had a tent and volunteer group there last year. Our volunteer sign up were outside of the normal Eagleman volunteer sign up process.

Is there going to be one like that again this year ... Joe/Travis ? If we are then folks should go through that mechanism than the normal process.

adilks    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 290
POSTED: 5/12/09 10:05 AM

Please email me if you want to volunteer for Eagleman. I'll try to get everyone in the same spot, maybe in transition or a waterstop.

Contact Angela

POSTED: 5/18/09 10:16 AM

Now that Columbia is over, it's time to think about the next big event on the calendar. I noticed a new link in the "Buzz" section of the web page calling for Eagleman Volunteers. I want to encourgage folks to come out to volunteer/support the only local HIM in the area. It's the only Ironman branded race within any reasonable driving distance.

If you are doing a half IM this year or is comptemplating doing one in the future, you should come out and volunteer. The atmosphere and energy at an Ironman branded HIM is very different from that of the sprint or oly event. You will be inspired. It will give you new energies for your training or push to towards the edge of starting to sign up for one.

If you are the vain type who judges a book by its cover, let me just say that there will be a lot of hot bodies there on the female and male side. True facts: 98.7% of them are single and looking. If you are married, true facts: 98.6% of them are looking for the married types. Come out to volunteer, come home with a sister wife/brother husband.

If you want to see a veritical swimer, a Vietnamese walking freak show, you should come out to volunteer and see "it" live in person. "It" will give you a show that you won't forget. They don't call me the walking/swimming STD for nothing.

Tuan

POSTED: 5/28/09 9:33 AM

I just found out that DC Triathlon Club volunteers will be at the finish line. We had lots of fun last year, despite the extreme heat. Please email me if you want to help out. I'll provide more details as we get closer to the race.

Click Here to Volunteer

POSTED: 6/04/09 10:26 AM

Here is the email that I received from the Eagleman Coordinator. They're still looking for more help at the finish line, so let me now if you can help out. You don't have to be there until around 9:30am, so you can easily drive there the morning of the race:

Messsage from Eagleman:
First of all on behalf of the Race Director and the 1,700 plus athletes that will be crossing the Finish Line of Eagleman
Ironman 70.3 on Sunday 14th June, THANK YOU.

Of all the volunteers our competitors most look forward to seeing, you will be among the most popular.

Place & Time
We expect the fist male professional to finish at 10:33 am. We will need volunteers in place, ready and prepared by 10:00 am
latest. Patti Harden of Team In Training will brief everyone on their tasks and allocate jobs. Here is a summary of what
happens to an athlete when they cross the line (exhausted, exhilarated, hot and possibly dehydrated).
a. Action photographer captures the moment
b. “catchers” (you) take hold of him/her
c. Someone removes their ankle timing chip
d. Finisher medal hung around their neck
e. Handed a cold drink
f. Assisted as necessary including moved to medical if in need of attention
g. Repeat several hundred times!

Here is a link to the layout of the Park: http://www.tricolumbia.org/Eagleman/images/Swim_Course_New.pdf (Reduce to 100%, right click and rotate).

The last runners are expected to cross around 4:30 pm. Obviously we don’t expect people to be there all day. Please do what you can and encourage your friends to join you. Come late, stay late and see some real gutsy people finishing. That’s when the emotions run high.

T-Shirts
Finish line volunteers wear Yellow shirts. These can be picked up from Sailwinds Park :
Wednesday evening 5 – 7 pm
All day Friday & Saturday
The remainder will be at the Finish Line Sunday.
Group leaders should collect for their people. Remember, Yellow! If you end up wearing Powder Blue you will be sent to help feed the athletes!

Parking
If you live locally and can, walk to the Park. This is a link to a map showing suggested parking areas:
http://www.tricolumbia.org/Eagleman/images/Parking.pdf

There is NO PARKING in or adjacent to the Park. Find a spot, grab it and walk in. The suggestion is to find a spot several
blocks away and walk.

Feeding and other things
We will feast on pizza at some point during the day. Hang on to it because the athletes will want it too! There is an aid
station adjacent to Finish so there will be plenty of cool drinks.

Bring some sunscreen. For many people this will be the first time out in the sun and it might be hot. Wear a hat, be
comfortable. Above all – HAVE FUN. Amazingly enough, the athletes will be and they will appreciate you being there.

Please don’t hesitate to call, or email me with questions. Thanks again

Gerry Boyle
Local Event Coordinator
Eagleman Ironman 70.3
443-786-0059
www.TriColumbia.org

kmwpro's ravatar kmwpro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 264
POSTED: 6/05/09 9:21 AM

Thanks so much to those who are volunteering at Eagleman next weekend. I think it's several people's first half (including mine!), so it will be really nice to know there are some friendly faces out there!

Karen

smakane's ravatar smakane    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 50
POSTED: 6/05/09 2:51 PM

An early THANK YOU for everyone who will be helping out next week at Eagleman... I am getting very excited and nervous! While I am feeling great two weeks post-op knee surgery and my surgeon gave me the Green light to race next week... I am anticipating being one of the closer to the end folks and know seeing any DC Tri members will help!

See everyone next week... Shannon

rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 247
POSTED: 6/05/09 4:58 PM

I agree with Karen and Shannon! This will be my first 70.3 and it will be really nice to see some friendly faces out there! Thanks to everyone who comes out to volunteer and cheer for your DC tri friends!

(and as much as I admire the T-man, I have to cast doubt on the vertical swimmer's "facts" and question the source of his info. As a SWF, I'd prefer to not date a married man. Who knew I was such a minority?!)

-becky

POSTED: 6/05/09 8:27 PM

I'll be out at Eagleman volunteering. I think I'll be on the swim course helping at the start or finish, not sure which, but then I'll definitely be at the finish line.

So if you're worried about not knowing anyone out there, I'll be there! :)

Bryan

POSTED: 6/05/09 8:37 PM

Bryan,

Please be at the swim finish and please get in the water until it's neck deep. You will be more useful to me there than on land :) Also, how's your kayaking skills ? ... just wondering.

Tuan

POSTED: 6/05/09 8:49 PM

Hey Tuan,

I can be either at the swim start and hand you some arm floaties, or I can be at the swim finish with that lifeguard hook to haul your vertical swimmer arse out of the water.

Kayaking skills are pretty good. Though it's been a while since I've had to do an eskimo roll.

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 6/05/09 9:58 PM

B - haven't you been listening? He needs the floaties for his LEGS! ;-)

=JK

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1047
POSTED: 6/05/09 10:21 PM

Tuan, if it gets that bad I'll bring my beach lifeguarding skills out of the woodwork. I got some practice last week in Rehoboth so I'm game. See everyone at the finish line!!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria