Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Bike fitting advice
CREATED: 02/16/11 by BrianneKN REPLIES: 6
BrianneKN    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 4
Bike fitting advice
POSTED: 2/16/11 4:36 PM

I'm looking at used bikes for my first Tri. I'm 5'3" female with a 28 inch inseam and according to the charts I've found online I should be looking for a 48cm, 19" frame bike.

Does this sound right to the vets out there? If so, how would I fare on a 47cm Fuji I just found online that sounds great?

Thanks!

Brianne

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 365
RE: Bike fitting advice
POSTED: 2/16/11 5:02 PM

Stop in at a bike shop and try the different frame sizes out to see which one works best for you. You may also need a different size for different brand bikes so make sure you try it out before you buy something online.

It may end up being cheaper to buy your bike at a local bike shop so you don't have to pay separately for a fit and for them to build it, not sure how it breaks down cost wise but just something to keep in mind.

POSTED: 2/16/11 5:14 PM

thanks -- should have noted, this is a used bike I found on Craig's list that I'm checking out tonight, so any tips on how it "should feel" are also appreciated!

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 365
POSTED: 2/16/11 5:28 PM

I had the same question last year and here's some advice I got from Tuan :)

http://www.dctriclub.org/forum/messages.cfm?tid=529481B2-E4AF-69EB-F641A6973FE5F2CD&page=1

POSTED: 2/16/11 5:34 PM

awesome. I heart Tuan.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1334
POSTED: 2/16/11 6:06 PM

That Tuan sounds like a swell guy.

Another thing to consider, there are bike shops in the area that sell used bike but do not advertise them ... Conte bring one. The price might be more than Craigslist but they will Include a basic fit. You will walk away knowing that the bike is your size. A reputable place like Conte will stand by their product so you can be relatively confident that you are walking out the door with a defect.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 2/16/11 8:22 PM

yes for someone with that inseam and relative height i would say something around a 45-48cm or so would fit.

i would know, i have use the same size bikes and have relatively the same inseam but i probably have a slightly longer reach as i'm a couple inches taller.

or just get convince an experienced athlete to go with you to check out cl bikes, i'm sure that swell guy tuan would love to volunteer his time and do so. LOL

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria