Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Chesapeake Man Aqua Velo
CREATED: 09/20/10 by no-e-plz REPLIES: 4
no-e-plz's ravatar no-e-plz    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 43
Chesapeake Man Aqua Velo
POSTED: 9/20/10 3:12 PM

I've registered, trained, and am now tapering for my first ever endurance distance AV (I did the Mooseman AV last year but that's just because I didn't do any running).

Anyone out there (Rob?) have advice on doing the AV? I think I can be self sufficient and won't need anything besides my own nutrition on the bike, plan to consume 1 bottle per hr of exercise (per rule of thumb and my own experience) and know the course well enough to know where to push it and when to take advantage of the tail wind (oh, it's there, you just have to find it).

Besides Emily (who's registered for the full IM event), who else will be in Cambridge for the events this weekend?

Cory

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1655
RE: Chesapeake Man Aqua Velo
POSTED: 9/20/10 3:26 PM

Be prepared, even this late in the season, for jellyfish. They struck hard in '08.

enduro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 21
POSTED: 9/20/10 4:00 PM

Enjoy after all your prep it is fun to actually be doing the race!!...I did the full CM in 07 and it was an excellent experience. Since the swim is no longer point-to-point I don't think you need to worry about the current since you will be going down current as much as up current. I wouldn't sweat the jelly's. They have two tents: one for men and one for women, afterwards to change into your bike clothes. So you don't need to wear much under the wetsuit. Remember to smile or sing a song to yourself to keep your face relaxed in the swim and on the bike. Put a pair of running shoes at the finish so you can try running a little bit or more after you finish. Sign up for a message back at the Hyatt for the day after before they get booked up. Have fun!

emle's ravatar emle    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 9/21/10 11:31 AM

I'm not sure what the swim was like this year at EM but last year at CM we did 2 loops clockwise sort of out and back starting and finishing at the boat launch and the water was ROUGH on the 'back' section. We also swam into the sun on that section so plan on tinted goggles. No wetsuit strippers in the past and I didn't think there was *that* much help from volunteers in the T1 tent unless you asked for it. No biggie. Last year the water bottles at the first aid station were screw off tops but the rest were the sport tops. That was a little annoying but no biggie since we only saw that station once. Wind - so unpredictable, so go with the flow. Use the 'stick' portion of the course as a warm up, the first loop of the lollypop to see where the winds are and how you're feeling, and the 2nd loop for just goin' at it.
Andrews road (left turn off of...whatever road the Marina is that we'll pass) is smooth to begin with the after a quick "S" curve it's bumpy. For the times I've ridden the course I haven't been able to stay in aero here.

I know this course like the back of my hand. I feel like the movie "Groundhog Day" when I talk about it!

See you this weekend
Em

no-e-plz's ravatar no-e-plz    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 43
POSTED: 9/21/10 1:20 PM

Thanks for the tips and updates; I was out at the course a few weeks ago and did the out and back, and one loop of the course...and I know that stretch of pavement of which you speak, Em...it's brutal but it's good to know it doesn't last the entire way back to the HS. I do enjoy riding out in Blackwater and have learned to not fight the wind but accept that it will be there. I've never done the full "costume" change before so that will be new for me. Swam in the wet suit this past weekend so I know it fits. I'm as ready as I can be (given my 6 weeks of intensive crash course training) so I'll look forward to seeing some of you at packet pick up and out on course.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria