Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

Training Tri Registration
CREATED: 06/30/09 by JoeC REPLIES: 52
ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1044
RE: Training Tri Registration
POSTED: 7/07/09 12:52 AM

The training triathlon on July 12th is full. Please do not contact the Race Director about a waiting list (there is none) and do not show up on race day assuming there is an opening. When we set up registration we account for about 10-20 people that will be no shows. Our contract with the DC Department of Recs allow us for a certain number and if we exceed that we jeopardize it.

Thank you for you cooperation.

-Hugh, Race Director

PS...We are pretty solid on volunteers so thanks in advance to you.

hannanguyen    JOINED: 5/19/09    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 7/07/09 2:27 PM

So I can't give my spots up to any of these deserving people? :(

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
POSTED: 7/07/09 4:07 PM

Hmm... nobody checks IDs at the door. hehehhe. j/k.

nbehappy's ravatar nbehappy    JOINED: 5/23/09    POSTS: 135
POSTED: 7/07/09 9:56 PM

so you're good on volunteers?

jpanek    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 10
POSTED: 7/07/09 11:09 PM

What about having it more than once per month?

Can we seed people pre-swim better somehow? There was tons of passing last month.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1285
POSTED: 7/08/09 8:16 AM

DISCLAIMER: I'm not part of DCTri's decision makers. I know very few of them personally. I only speak for myself. Below are my opinions. If they opinions come across as harsh then I apologized. It's not my intent. My intentions are to give everyone the big picture as I see it.

1. Can things be improved ? Yes. If you have ways to improve how things are done, you should bring it to the attention of the decision makers within DCTri. From my personal experiences dealing with them, they are quite receptive. They may not always do as I ask but they do reply.

2. Having more than once a month practice tri ?
For all of the folks who are doing the practice tri, it's a one day event. For the organizers, it's a lot more than that. They have to get permits, find volunteers, record and post your time online, clean up, etc. They are not paid to do this. They VOLUNTEER to do this. They are athletes such as you. They train and practice for tris just like you. Many of them are training for Ironmans and HIMs which takes up a lot of time yet they still are generous enough to organize these things. They also do other things for the club, most of which are behind the scenes, besides organizing practice tris. You think the Park Police will continue to smile at them if they were to ask for permits to do weekly practice tris ?

Organizing these things are huge endeavors. Let's say you one have every other weekend. Where are you going to find the resources to do it ? You can make an argument that if these organizers are not up to the tasks of doing one every other weekend then they should step aside and let someone else do it. Who among us are willing to step up and take over for these folks ? If you think that you are one of these folks then why haven't you stepped up to the plate yet ? I'm 100% sure that the decisions makers within DCTri will be delighted for you to run the show every once in awhile. Send them an email and give them your input and qualifications.

3. Can we seed people pre-swim better somehow?
The short answer is yes. If you have ideas, send it to the RD. The problem with this is that when asked, people usually under or overestimate their pace. Sometimes in a race situation people have extra juices in their bodies so they go harder and faster. Or, they are new to this and panic during the swim so they slow down.

If I were new to triathlons, I would embrace the fact that I'm getting hit and passed in the pool during a practice session. In a real race you WILL be hit, passed, and pass others no matter where you seed yourself. This will occur from pool swims to Ironman swims. How else or where else are you going to get the opportunity to be hit, passed, or be passed in a controlled environment like a practice tri. I know it's annoying but that's what triathlon swims are all about. If you don't want to be hit, passed, or pass people on a regular basis then go to your local pool and stay away from practice tris. Practice tris are worthless if you don't get the opportunity to be hit, passed, or pass others. That's what they are all about.

These practice tris are meant to give you a taste of real world racing. It's not meant to shell you from the real world. It's meant to prepare you for what you will face once you go live. Would you rather know what it feels like to pass, be passed, and hit while in practice or face those situations for the first time during a real race ? There are tons of passing in a real triathlon. Why not practice seeing what that's like in a place where you can stand up if you get whacked ? You are going to be annoyed during a real race. Why not embrace the chance to see how you deal with it during practice ?

4. These are practice tris. At some point, some you folks need to go out and do a real one. You can participate training tris until you are blue in the face and you will never be fully ready for the real thing. If you a doing the practice tri for the fun entertainment value then by all means do it as many times as you want. If you are doing it as practice for the real thing then 1 practice tri is all that you need. More than that and you will have diminishing returns ... as far preparing you for the real thing is concerned.

The only way to be ready to do a real tri is to do a real tri :)

Tuan

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 7/08/09 8:32 AM

This thread is still going on? LOL

Whatever.

Good luck to all doing the training tri this weekend, and remember to go fast!

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 7/08/09 8:45 AM

Amen, Tuan! Very well said!!

mccannjl's ravatar mccannjl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 216
POSTED: 7/08/09 9:17 AM

Tuan,

What you said!

jeanne

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 7/08/09 9:26 AM

tuan,

on your last point i don't agree with you..

practice tris can be used either early season and mid season as test workouts that allow for a higher level of intensity than any solo workout. so sometimes more than 1 is good.

practice tris can be used to test out new equipment/pacing, etc at race pace without the hassle of having to use a real race as a test, since real races are 80-200 for even a sprint distance at times.

anyway, Whatever. LOL

JoeC's ravatar JoeC    JOINED: 7/10/05    POSTS: 213
POSTED: 7/08/09 9:30 AM

All good points Tuan. As the person that ran these in 2007 and 2008 and the president this year I can probably speak for the "organizers/decision makers" Running these is a big undertaking and take a lot of hours of work behind the scenes (and we are all volunteers, and most of the board is in the middle of Ironman training) so once a month is all we can reasonably do. Although we are always looking for folks to step up and help out.

As for improving the training tri and seeding swimmers better you are right people are awful at estimating their times (sandbaggers :-) Part of the problem was to help increase the number of folks we could handle we moved to 30 seconds between swimmers from a minute so there is a little less time between people. If people have some better ideas on how to do it we are all ears.

jerrys's ravatar jerrys    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 7/08/09 9:18 PM

Trithis73,
No, I was away in Europe when the first practice race went off in early June. No harm, though, as I got to do one last summer. I'm rearranging the weekend schedule to work out heavy Saturday and volunteer/relax Sunday. See you there. Jerry

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 7/08/09 10:43 PM

Tuan is da man!!!!

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria