Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

50-meter pool?
CREATED: 05/11/09 by steph_430 REPLIES: 6
steph_430    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 33
50-meter pool?
POSTED: 5/11/09 4:28 PM

Can anyone point me to a 50-meter pool in DC or VA? I've been swimming in a 25-yd pool at Wakefield Rec Center, and would like to practice swimming in a longer pool to build endurance. I'm doing the Reston Sprint Tri in 3 weeks and it will be a pool swim in a 50-meter pool, so I wanted to get acclimated. Wakefield's pool is 25 yds X 50 m, but the folks there told me they never put the lane markers going the long way except in the morning before the pool opens only occasionally and only at the special request of swim teams, so not for general public. :(

Do any of the Rec Centers in Fairfax Co. have a longer pool? Thanks for any and all insights.

pfcindc's ravatar pfcindc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 3
RE: 50-meter pool?
POSTED: 5/11/09 4:48 PM

The only one I know of for sure is at Hains Point - East Potomac Park. But that does not open until Memorial Day. Sometimes universities are the best bets for a 50 meter pool. I did a quick look online and found a list here - there are a couple of 50m pools listed: http://www.kidstreetnews.com/indoor-pools.htm

guinness    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 64
POSTED: 5/11/09 9:41 PM

If you don't mind venturing into Maryland territory, the Bethesda pool on Little Falls is 50 meters. The Montgomery Ancient Mariners swim there in the summers, but since the MAC is closing - because those of us with early IM races don't have enough challenges - for repairs all summer, the Ancient Mariners are starting to swim there this week or next. They hadn't filled the pool as of last week when I ran by on CCT, but I imagine it will be soon since Clay (the head coach of the Mariners) keeps sending out emails about moving over there to swim in the next few days (regardless of water temp!). If you don't have a car, it's probably about a mile or so from the Bethesda Metro - just go toward Georgetown on CCT (get on at Barnes and Noble) and you'll run into it.

Anathea

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 5/12/09 7:41 AM

Yeah a 50 meter pool would be nice. Can't wait for Haines Point to open up.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1735
POSTED: 5/12/09 9:06 AM

A unique area favorite, tho it's a ways from VA:

Rockville Municipal Swim Center. 355 Martins Lane. Rockville, MD 20850. There is a 50 Meter, 8 lane heated outdoor pool, and an indoor 6 lane 25 yard pool.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 5/12/09 9:15 AM

If you find a 50m pool - make sure you call the facility first to make sure the lanes are set up for 50m. For instance Lee Rec Center while technically has 50m lanes, splits the lanes the other way across for 25 yd lanes.

guinness    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 64
POSTED: 5/12/09 1:05 PM

Ed,
Thanks for the Rockville pool info! Saves me from going to Germantown, Olney or Takoma when I'm not swimming at AU. Never heard about it despite growing up here - I think most of us are just so used to the MAC!
A

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria