DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Recommendation for Women's Saddle
CREATED: 06/30/09 by tgrollman REPLIES: 11
tgrollman's ravatar tgrollman    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 226
Recommendation for Women's Saddle
POSTED: 6/30/09 11:29 AM

Hi everyone.

I'm doing Ironman Cozumel in November and I finally broke down and bought my first Tri Bike, a Cervelo P2. The bike is amazing, but I seem to be having a hard time adjusting to my saddle. The saddle is a Specialized Tritip SL Gel, which I know is a good saddle, but still causes me a lot of discomfort.

Does anyone out there know of a more comfortable saddle which will get me through training and then 112 mile ride without being harsh on my special places?

Thank you!

alya72's ravatar alya72    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 49
RE: Recommendation for Women's Saddle
POSTED: 6/30/09 12:12 PM

The saddles that come with a tri bike are usually designed for men and are really uncomfortable, in my opinion. I just put the saddle I used for my road bike on my tri bike, and it has gotten me through two IMs and many halfs. I use a Serfas RX (REI link http://www.rei.com/product/736912), but I saw REI also sells a Serfas women's tri bike saddle if you think that is the only way you will get the right positioning on your bike: http://www.rei.com/product/768227.

Hope this helps.

Amy

seewhatucando's ravatar seewhatucando    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 117
POSTED: 6/30/09 12:29 PM

Although it is generally true that saddles built for men do not suit women...I have found the ISM Adamo racing saddle to be the exception. I have tried Terry saddles built for women and none have topped this one. The split seat suits me really well. They are not cheap (but what saddle is) however, I shopped the web and got a good price on one on ebay. You can see it at http://www.blackwellresearch.com/p_seats.htm

Good luck!

Lynn

ready2run    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 25
POSTED: 6/30/09 5:04 PM

I recently purchased a Cervelo P2 SL and my bike seat is a Terry Butterfly Carbon. I did a bike fit with Conte's and they adjusted the nose of saddle which seemed to be a much better fit than the seat that came with it. http://www.terrybicycles.com/saddles/womens/detail/21179/current/butterfly-carbon-saddle

kris03    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 6/30/09 10:19 PM

I second the ISM Adamo racing saddle-- it has been a HUGE imrpovement over Specialized saddle, which caused a lot of discomfort in the aero position. I had to wear super padded bike shorts all the time with the specialized. With the Adamo, I don't even need to wear padded shorts anymore! I've heard that people either love it or hate it, but its definitely worked for me-- I've done 70 mile rides in shorts that have no padding, w/o discomfort. Good luck!

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 7/01/09 8:19 AM

seewhatucando's ravatar seewhatucando    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 117
POSTED: 7/01/09 8:27 AM

True, a saddle is specific to your body so it is important to test drive before you buy. It is always a shame to waste money on bike accessories or other gear that does not work for you. As such I offer mine for for testing if you think you might be interested. One thing that vatriathlete can't comment because he has a penis is that the reason the adamo works so well for women is that the split seat basically has no nose so there is no saddle getting all up in your labia and other related sensitive body parts. That's the bottom line. Let me know if you want to try my saddle.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1331
POSTED: 7/01/09 9:16 AM

damn Justin ... you've just been b i t c h slapped :)

Lynn ... I like you :)

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 7/01/09 9:23 AM

POSTED: 7/01/09 9:35 AM

Thank you everyone for the recommendations and the laughs!. I'm going to check into the Adamo and report back.

My saddle is pretty new so I think Cotes will let me switch it out instead of wasting the $150 already spent.

Thanks again!

Tania.

POSTED: 7/01/09 9:35 AM

Thank you everyone for the recommendations and the laughs!. I'm going to check into the Adamo and report back.

My saddle is pretty new so I think Cotes will let me switch it out instead of wasting the $150 already spent.

Thanks again!

Tania.

POSTED: 7/01/09 4:08 PM

Hey again.

Someone was telling me about the brooks swift saddle to use on my road bike, and from what I read it will be great for long bike trips. However, I still want to do some smaller triathlons on my road bike as well and was wondering if you had heard anything about how the saddle/leather holds up for training and the performance in racing.

Thanks again.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria