Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New to DC and first time in a Tri Club
CREATED: 09/20/10 by laurarussell REPLIES: 13
laurarussell    JOINED: 9/20/10    POSTS: 11
New to DC and first time in a Tri Club
POSTED: 9/20/10 9:41 PM

Just moved up to the Potomac Yard area and working in DC. I've been competing in tris for the past few years, and really love it. Trying to up my training game and really take it to the next level. Also competing in my first marathon (St. Jude's) in December. Looking for any input on good places to run and swim in the area, and if there is anyone in the area looking for a running partner I'm game :)

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1714
RE: New to DC and first time in a Tri Club
POSTED: 9/21/10 10:04 AM

Potomac Yard, Alexandria, correct?

bmship    JOINED: 12/7/09    POSTS: 7
POSTED: 9/21/10 10:23 AM

I swim at the Y in Alexandria, which is not too far from you. On Monroe Ave, just off of Rt. 1. I have seen some other DC Tri folks there as well.

POSTED: 9/21/10 1:27 PM

Yup in Alexandria. @bmship Thanks for the info. I'm actually a member of the Y so that would be good.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1714
POSTED: 9/21/10 1:43 PM

Some swim at the Chincoteague pool just west of Old Town on King St. Or at Hains Pt. until it closes in mid October.

You can mail me at savvyveteran at gmail dot com for contacts of active runners in the area.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 9/21/10 3:57 PM

That is Chinquapin - 3710 King Street, Alexandria - West of Old Town and East of Quaker Lane. Hours are posted on their website: http://alexandriava.gov/recreation/info/default.aspx?id=12352#rixse - but that will only give you half the story.

Don't go Tues or Thurs evenings after 6:30p that is when the larger than life water aerobics class comandeers 3 lanes of the pool; swim lessons are also conducted at this time and the Potomac Marlins have practice. There is only 1 lap lane and +%@ help you if the scuba class also makes an appearance. I swim on Thurs - only because my daughter is on Marlins. Good combative tri training trying to swim in one lap lane in a 25 m pool. I had 10 people in my lane once; only 3 of us could actually swim.

FRI - PM - pool closes at 5:45 - so precludes after work swim.

AM - Masters uses 4 lanes and there is a fairly regular crowd that show up for the other 4. I haven't had much difficulty in the morning.

Chinquapin posts its lap schedule online - but they are not good about updating it and they sometimes just change their minds. High School swims from 4p - 6p (not sure when season starts and goes until end of February) - don't even try getting in the pool then.

If you work in DC - (as I do) - I can sometimes hoof it up to Wilson Pool in Tenley Town. Out of city charge is $4 - no cash accepted so bring ID, Credit or Debit Card - and your own lock. Wilson is great bc it is a 50 m pool (sometimes reconfigured to 25 yds during High School swim season).

All in all - wouldn't if be just great if we could all swim between 10a and 2p -

mags36's ravatar mags36    JOINED: 9/21/10    POSTS: 4
POSTED: 9/21/10 11:39 PM

I just moved out here too! I've only done 2 tris so far, so I can't help out much with the swim, I actually need a swim partner to help me out and give me tips. As well as good places to go swimming near Pentagon City.

I can help you with running, I've run a few half marathons and other distance races. I'm thinking about doing the Turkey Trot 10k in November. You don't live too far from me, so we could meet up sometime and explore trails together for running! :)

POSTED: 9/22/10 10:17 PM

Thanks for the pool schedule morunner66! Thats really helpful, and it would be my dream to not have to work and just train all day....that would be the life. @mags36 that sounds like a plan to me. I actually have taught adult swim lessons, and I'm not a runner at all so I can use all the help I can get lol. you can email me at laura82ashley at me dotcom

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 514
POSTED: 9/24/10 9:21 PM

@mags36
Sport & Health Crystal Park has a 25-yd. pool. It's only 3.5-ft. deep the entire length of the pool but as long as you aren't practicing your diving, it works fine. It's about a 20-min. walk from Pentagon City.

There's a new pool at the LA Fitness gym in Potomac Yards but that's a bit farther from Pentagon City. I've never been to that pool.

The Mt. Vernon Trail is a good place to run in Arlington/Alexandria. For shorter runs after dark, I usually run through Crystal City and around the big parking lots at the Potomac Yards shopping center. (During last winter's record snowstorms, that's the only place I could run or bike outside. All the usual trails were snowed under for weeks.) Potomac Drive (between Potomac Yards and Crystal City) still hasn't been built out completely so there's usually not too much traffic there. A good place to do stride sets during run workouts. Nice, flat road with bike lanes, just in case there actually are cars driving through.

POSTED: 10/06/10 12:49 AM

Yea i've checked out the Mt Vernon Trail, I see a lot of runners on there and you can get on the trail from crystal city. It's right near the metro stop. I've been taking that trail out to georgetown or haines (sp?) point for bike rides. It is pretty nice.

There's some decent hills once you ride out past georgetown and into md. I've been running on a treadmill since i don't get back home in time to go out for runs before dark. There are a couple of short races coming up, like 5-10k. I'm thinking of doing a couple to motivate me to train during winter. We could plan to meet up for weekend runs or something if you want!

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 514
POSTED: 10/06/10 1:20 PM

I'm thinking about signing up for the Boo! Run for Life 10K this weekend. I have a couple more days to decide on it. There's a Halloween theme and they are encouraging people to wear costumes. If I run it, I don't want to wear an elaborate get-up, but I might wear my bike aero helmet and tri jersey, and go as a confused triathlete who forgot to remove his bike gear in T2. I don't know if I would get disqualified for an unfair advantage though. I'm wondering if the aero helmet will give me a boost of superhuman speed on the run. Eh, probably not.

Since I just finished the Half Full Triathlon on Sunday (near-HIM), I probably won't go all-out for the 10K. Still not sure I'll sign up. I also have the Army Ten-Miler coming up, which I'm already registered for. And I'm going through with the DCCX cyclocross race that same day. It will take place in D.C. but the Rookie Race (for cyclocross newbs like me) doesn't start until about 4 pm. Plenty of time to finish ATM, recover and head over to DC.

A weekend run sounds good although I'm not always too consistent about when I train (morning, afternoon or evenings). And now that my target races are over for the year, I'm going to be haphazard for a month or two, before I get back to base training in Dec. And anyone else interested in occasional weekend group runs. (I sometimes shift my workouts around so I can't guarantee that I'll run on the same day every weekend.)

Here's my email address or you can just click on my screen name and send a message:

excalibur45 DOT story AT y a h o o

(Trying to mix up the address to avoid webcrawling spambots)

POSTED: 10/06/10 3:00 PM

Hahaha I think the only advantage you'll get from the aero helmet is people running out of your way because they think they are being chased by an alien.. but then again, that might make them run faster too (those helmets look like alien heads).

I wish i would've known about the Boo run, I would've picked up my training a little bit (i'm recently back to training after i was out with injuries from my last tri when my back wheel got clipped). I am looking into running the Turkey Trot 10k, depending if i stay in town for Thanksgiving.

I am actually getting more into cycling because I want to try Cyclocross and Duathlons next year. How do you like cyclocross? Did you invest a lot on a bike? I don't like road racing, but cyclocross looks like a lot of fun. I am debating on whether i should invest on a tri bike or cyclocross bike next yr. I guess it all depends on what i end up liking the most.

We'll stay in touch about weekend runs. But if you're going to go all ironman on my ass i think i'll pass.. haha.

@laurarusell have you been biking around the city at all? maybe you could come on saturday morning rides with me.

my e-mail for anyone who wants to contact me is margaretvb AT hot mail

POSTED: 10/06/10 4:31 PM

Cyclocross is supposed to be safer than road cycling. You're generally going at slower speeds. And if you crash, it's a slow-speed crash and you land on grass or mud, not asphalt.

But this is just what I've read and seen on Universal Sports. I've never actually done a cyclocross race before. That's why I signed up for the Rookie Race. While the other races/heats that day will be intense, the Rookie Race is supposed to be more about participation than competition. Instead of prizes for the winners, they will give away prizes at random for the Rookie Race.

I plan to use my mountain bike. It's legal and I think they are expecting people to show up on all sorts of bikes for the Rookie Race. I just have to swap out my clipless pedals for platform pedals. I only have tri bike shoes with Look-style cleats. Those would be a disaster to use for running in mud. With the platform pedals, I can use an old pair of running shoes. I won't have the same pedaling efficiency as the clipless pedals and shoes but it'll be much easier to jump on and off the bike, and run through the mud and grass.

I'm expecting to look like a circus clown while trying to get over the obstacles, but everyone else will look like a clown too. (I hope.) But I think I can do OK in the actual cycling part.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 10/06/10 4:36 PM

delete

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria